Introducing myself over here...

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! My name is Amy and I just had a beautiful baby girl Allison on August 30. She was born 4 weeks early, but she weighed 7lb 10oz at birth. She dropped down to 7lb by 1 week and didn't gain back up to her birth weight until she was 6 weeks old. Ever since she has been gaining but VERY slowly. When born I think she was around 75% on weight and she is now at 10%...she weighs 10lbs even at 12 weeks. We are breastfeeding and it was going ok, but she is a lazy eater and falls asleep very easily no matter how much we mess with her to keep her awake. She also has never nursed very long at a time. Lately I have taken to nursing on one side and pumping on the other at the same time then feeding her that bottle after she is done nursing. I figure that way I know at least she got 2oz or 3oz at that feeding. I told the dr the other day that I was able to get 2-3oz off one breast while she was nursing the other side and he said that was definately not enough for a baby her size/age. So we are supplimenting a little formula each day (usually 1 extra bottle). She was gaining an average of 1/3 oz a day now she gained a full pound in 22 days, so that's progress at least. The drs are content with that being that she stayed at the 10% curve this last weight check instead of dropping again. I hated supplimenting but I don't want to put my dd health at risk either. I decided to check out this forum because I notice this last time we went to the dr that he put FTT at the bottom of her chart. I guess it didn't hit me before that she was considered FTT I just thought she was a slow gainer, but it really kind of depressed me that I wasn't doing enough for my dd. I just need a little support right now.

November 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hugs, amy. you know i went through all this with brandon when he was younger. i'm really surprised cause allison *looks* like she's at a healthy weight from the pics you've posted. don't freak out just yet, some babies just don't eat as much as others. i would think that if she can maintain her curve she'll be okay. please keep us posted and you know you can pm me anytime if you wanna talk or anything
November 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks Lisa! I didn't even realize you were the host over here until I checked it out the other day. I don't think Allison looks that small either until I look at her next to the other baby I keep (who is 1 month older and 5 pounds heavier). Allie even has fat rolls on her thighs, and a double chin. I take spencer in for his flu shot on Thursday so I will have her weighed again. She will need to have gained 4 oz from last friday until this thurs to keep her curve...so we will see. She's been nursing like crazy today, so I'm wondering if she might be hitting a growth spurt. I just hope it's enough. AND like I said originally, my dr isn't the one as worried as I am I think. She is gaining still and that is what he was looking at. So lisa did you breastfeed Brandon? If so did you supplement when he wasn't gaining? Or did you bottlefeed from the begining? I can't remember. I know you have issues with the weight gain, and all the drs appointments, but I don't remember the begining when he was still tiny.

November 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Brandon's issues didn't actually start until he was 6mo old, so he was kinda odd...from one well check to another he just dropped down and off the chart. He was formula fed though.

My niece is 5.5 mo old and has had issues almost from day one. She only weighs a little over 11lbs now! Of course, she's a severe case, but in her case my SIL was bfing her and ended up going over to formula VERY reluctlantly...she was in constant threat of being admitted to the hospital (she had EBF her older son). They had tried a breast milk/formula combo but she just totally switched over to formula when she started losing supply. They went a few weeks before deciding to make the switch...and she did try pumping to see how much she was producing and Brooke was drinking.

Let us know if you get a chance to weigh her at Spencer's appt. I'll be thinking of you guys!!! I have a feeling she'll be just fine though
November 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I guess that is my problem with the whole thing. I feel like she wouldn't be this small if I would just give her a bottle all the time, but then again I feel like it's important for her to get all the antibodies of breastmilk. I also like the closeness, even though it is tough breastfeeding. My mom told me I was being selfish the other day But Jay supports me wanting to breastfeed, so at least I have some support. She eats really well from a bottle, so I may just have to keep supplimenting to get her weight up.

November 27th, 2007, 04:43 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had difficulties BFing Anna as well. Only in my case, I had a very obviously low supply. Anna was born fullterm at 5 lbs 9 oz and got down to 5 lbs at one point. I was adamant about breastfeeding and just figured my supply was very slow to come in. I was seeing lactation consultants, and they even told me I had to supplement. I was only able to pump about half an ounce from both breasts over the course of half an hour weeks after giving birth. I pretty much had no choice but to give in to formula. Once my supply completely disappeared (which took about two days once I started bottlefeeding), her weight skyrocketed to the highest percentile it's ever been. It slowly dropped off from there though, and by 12 months she was below the charts again.

Have you tried supplementing with an SNS system instead of a bottle? I really liked doing that, and had I been a more typical case, I would have been able to continue breastfeeding much longer. Basically, you put the formula in a bottle and attach a tiny little tube that you can put onto your nipple when Allison latches on. As she sucks, she'll get the formula or expressed breastmilk while she gets the breastmilk directly from your breast. You continue to get the experience of breastfeeding while continuing to stimulate your nipples and empty the breast to keep your supply up. It's a little trick to get the hang of at first, but it was worth a try for me, and I think it would work well for someone like you.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
November 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Amy, my SIL's mom is major in to breastfeeding and gave her a guilt trip for wanting to stop, so I know it's hard to not have support from the most important people in your lives. It's great that you and Jay are on the same page and I think it's a decision you should make together. If you aren't ready to suppliment or switch to formula, then don't. It doesn't sound like she has any real serious issues so far, so I'd keep trying if that's what you want to do. HUGS. We all try to do what's best for our babies, I don't think you are being selfish
November 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Well now Allie and spencer have both been sick She had been eating so good earlier in the week I was sure she would have gained the 4 oz she needed to stay on track, but yesterday she slept forever (12 hours over night and then I had to wake her) then I fed her and she went back to sleep. I figured she was just getting over her growth spurt because she had been eating like crazy for a couple days, but then she threw up on me last night and has had diareah today. So I'm hoping I've gotten enough in her for her to not lose weight...sigh...I'll update over here tomorrow when I get back from the dr with them.

November 29th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
good luck, amy! keep us posted. hope the kiddos get better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search