I'm back... and confused

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Super Mommy
Hi - I was on here this summer with my daughter who was considered FTT not because she didn't weigh enough, but because she went down past two major lines in the growth curve.

Background info:
She was born in May of this year at 8 lbs 12 oz (see - not small!) and was 80% or so. She was hospitalized at 5 weeks old in July for FTT as she was at that point down to 40% or so - so she went down past the 75% and 50%. We eventually got her on acid reflux meds, cured whatever was causing her to be sick and cough so violently she'd throw up (most likely whooping cough, but never confirmed), tested her for all sorts of things (CF, upper GI series, heart issues, etc) and got her on hypoallergenic formula (Neocate). Her GI doc eventually said that overall she was hovering around the 50% - some weeks up to 60% and some down to 40% but overall around 50% and so he said she was no longer FTT. That was at 3 months old. Since then we've just kept her on the neocate and the acid refulx meds (prilosec) and all seemed ok to us.

Current info:
She just went for her 6 month checkup and she's gained weight since her 4 month (13 lbs to 14 lbs 11 oz) but she's gone down in the growth curve again. Now she's 25%. So now we have to go back again in one month to have her weight checked. She's developmentally doing awesome and is ahead of what her older brother did at 6 months. She can sit on her own for 10 minutes at a time, she plays with toys passing them from hand to hand and can turn them around, she laughs all the time, she can stand if we hold her hands for a long time, she can roll across the room to get to toys, etc. She's very very strong and we had to stop using the baby swing at 5 months as she tried to flip herself out. She's on the go all the time. Developmentally she's perfect for a 6 month old.

My confusion and questions:
So if she's developmentally perfect and seems perfectly healthy and fine, why this concern about going down in the growth curve? My husband and I are both super thin - so genetically there's no way she could stay at the 80% she was born at. Her brother is 25% for weight and always has been. He's 75% for height and that's right where she is right now too. Dad is tall and thin. So it makes sense. So I guess my question is, why does it matter if they go down in the growth curve if they are still gaining weight? My daughter did gain weight since her 4 month - almost two pounds. Her thighs have tons of baby chub and she doesn't look too thin. So why this huge concern about her? If you didn't weigh her you'd never ever say there was anything wrong with her. I'm her mom and of course I'm now worried again and freaking out, but I'm trying to step back and ask if this all makes sense before we start going through all this again. Doctor's aren't gods so just because a doctor says there is something wrong doesn't mean it's necesarrily true. If you step back and don't just look at the numbers of her weight but look at her as a child you see a perfectly healthy baby. So my overall question to all of you is, do you know what exactly would happen if she were totally healthy but continues to go down in the growth curve? I suppose at some point she wouldn't be getting the nutrition she needs. I don't know. It's just so confusing to me. Sorry for the rambling question...
- Xty
December 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally understand your confusion. My daughter is also doing super developmentally. She has plenty of energy, focus, is very healthy, and is way advanced in many ways. Everyone says she looks perfect to them! Only thing is...she's not on the charts, she's anemic, and she has delayed bone age. It's pretty confusing to be told that she's perfect from everyone in my personal life, but she's not in a healthy place by health professionals.

I know that, generally, falling too quickly across percentiles is a red flag. However, like you, I don't always buy it. My daughter, for instance, was born teeny tiny at 5 lbs 9 oz. She continued to have a very low weight as I struggled with a dangerously low breastmilk supply. When I started her on formula, her weight shot up all the way to the 40th percentile within two months! After that, she was on a steady decline. At this point, I don't think she'll EVER be in the 40th percentile again, no matter what. DH and I were always small kids. We were never on the 40th percentile, so we have no reason to think that she ever will be. I think her body just went nuts when she was finally not struggling to eat like she was with the breastfeeding, and her weight was artificially inflated.

.......of course, Anna did continue to go down, and eventually fell off the charts, which is why I'm on this board. BUT STILL! I do believe that she was never meant to follow that 40th percentile curve. I think she should never have really passed the 10th percentile. Had she dropped to that from the 40th, I don't think I would ever have cared. My doctor expressed some mild concern as she dropped, but didn't sound the alarms until she was below the 5th percentile.

Personally, I think as long as she stabilizes at some point soon, I wouldn't be too concerned. If she is consistently falling, though, I would be thinking of changing something.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
December 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks! It's good to hear other's experience too and to hear that you think the same as me on some of this confusing mess! My daughter was anemic too last they checked back when she was hospitalized. Perhaps I should have them check that again if things continue to go down the growth curve. I don't think in my daughter's case she has the delayed bone age thing your daughter has as she's in the 75% for height! Talk about a string bean! So we'll see what happens. We go back Jan 3 to have her reweighed.
- Xty
December 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I don't really have any advice for you because I'm new to this myself. My daughter Allie was born a month prematurely at 7lb 10oz at 75% and has continued to drop %'s since then. She has finally stabilized at the 10% but only because I started supplimenting with formula. We go for our next weight check on Jan 3rd also, so we are hoping to have gained a little more next time we go in. Good luck and keep us posted!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search