another newbie here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Hi, I will try to make this as short as possible lol

I'm kaytee, SAHM to Nichole who will be 2 in just a few weeks!! She has always been tiny, 6lbs 12oz at 42 weeks, but she grew fast in the begining. Nothing extrodinary but like the 30 or 40th percentile. Never a concern for her weight. She was EBF till 5 1/2 months then introduced to solids. Again no concern. At 6 month her weight began to drop, but she was still gaining fine. She went from the 30th down to the 20th down to the 3rd. She was at the 3rd for quite awhile but it was a steady drop, not a big drop.
Well around 12 months old she started getting diarrhea. She had it almost every day with an occassional formed stool in between. Never a problem other then the diarrhea itsself. No gas pains or straining to go.
Well at 15 months I mentioned it to the doc more because of the horrible diaper rash, we had even switched to cloth, which helped soooo much. The doc told me take her off milk. So we went completely dairy free for 3 weeks and the diarrhea stopped!!! The doc said to slowly reintroduce it and see if it will come back, well we were good for about 3 months of being bakc on dairy. Around 18 months (finally hit 20lbs) we again went dairy free, this time it did nothing. Thats where we began the first stage of testing.
She was tested for bacteria, viral, all that from her feces. Everything came back clear. Her doc then at 22 months refferred us to a GI. We just went a week ago. They drew 7 vials of blood to run a billion tests and more on the poo as well. Right now at 23 months old she is 20lbs 8 oz. So as you can see (if you are still with me lol) she has barely gainied 1/2 a pound in 6 months!!!

The GI is pretty confident it is a malabsorption issue since she eats very well. She doesn't not like anything really. Eats veggies and meats fruits whatever you give her she will eat it!

Now after waiting a week for the blood tests to come back, the GI calls and says the lab did not get enough blood and didn't call them to let them know. PLUS they didn't even run the most importnat tests the Celiac and teh allergy panel!!! So now I have to tak emy poor baby back to draw more blood, when she still has bruises form the first go around!!
I just want my baby to be better! I don't even have anything to go by other then wait and see. All while my 2 year old is being passed in weight by 12 month olds!!!

ok that my vent. Any help or advise is appreciated!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 6th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Super Mommy
Hi! I know you! I was in the Dec/Jan 05 DDC and playgroup with my son who turns 2 on Sunday! I sometimes scan the posts there just to see what's up, but don't really have time to write as I work full time and also have a 6 month old daughter. She's the reason I'm on this board. She was failure to thrive at 5 weeks old and had all the tests. At 3 months they thought she was ok but now at 6 months she's dropped in the growth curve again and so I'm back here again.

Anyway.

Have you looked into "Toddler's Diarhea" at all? My son actually had that for a month or two just recently. We had to go to a GI doc about it to make sure. Google it. Sounds possible for your daughter. Diarhea with no tummy pains, gas, etc. It's basically from a toddler drinking too much. To cure it we had to give more fats and fiber to make him feel full sooner so he wouldn't load up on drinks (milk, juice, water). So we used half and half or light cream on his cereal instead of milk and let him drink it and mix benefiber into his morning and evening milk. We also try to give him drinks with meals only if he asks for them and only a little bit at a time. It worked and now his poops are back to being formed. We still do the benefiber but have stopped doing the half and half. The GI doc said we could also have added butter or oils to his foods as a way to up the fat content (I say this as I see you might have a milk allergy on your hands and might not want to try the cream approach).

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest as you need to wait for the test results. I'm actually worried about where my son will be on the growth curve when he goes for his 2 year appt next week as when he was having the diarhea a month ago he weighed less than he did at 18 months. So I'm kinda fearful to see where he'll be. And since my daughter dropped on the growth curve between her 4 month and the 6 month we just went to we have to go back at the beginning of Jan to have her weighed again. So I'm right there with you on the fear of what's going on. HUGS
- Xty

December 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the reply. Its not toddler diarrhea because once we weaned she started getting gas pains and telling me "belly hurts" the gas was horrible. I am pumping again now and its calmed down. Yes I am pumping for my 2 year old!!! ugh! lol
Anyways she has also lost some weight and has had the diarrhea for over year now. They are confident its malabsorption. We have done the diet long ago for toddler diarrhea, tons fo starchy foods and she never gets juice so not a bid deal here. She also only gets cows milk once or twice a week. Her ped thinks its carbohydrate intoerance or celiac, but not knowing sucks.
She never just drppped of the weight charts and has always just been small, untill recently. At 18 months she was 20lbs 4oz and 20 months she was 21lbs 4oz and then at 22 she went back down to 20lbs 8oz. This has nver happened and it happened at the same time that I weaned her from breastmilk. The docs think that milk wsa enough to sooth her belly and for whatever reason she was able to digest the milk but not the foods properly

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I understand your frustration with all the testing! Not fun at all to put our little ones through all that. I'm sorry that they think it's malabsorption. It's a good thing you were able to give her breastmilk for as long as you did. It really helped her out, it seems.

I don't have any real advice since my daughter suffers from constipation rather than diarrhea. Hopefully the tests will at least give you some answers and a plan of action to help her thrive again.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
December 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks, what sucks is when we were suppose to get teh resluts they call and say there wasn't enough blood taken!! I'm taking her on Monday to draw more blood. Mean mommy!!! Of course they can only draw from her right arm as her left is still badly bruised, and they have one stick and they are done, so hopefully they get it right the first time!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
well I took her this morning to get the celiac blood draw. THey are running 4 different tests so hopefully we will be done and have an answer soon.

Is it just me though or does it seem that docs are quick to say failure to thrive! Her ped was not at all worried about her weight gain (not much of a gain but... ) the GI was quick to point out that she was failure to thrive. Just seems that so many children get labled this when heredity seems to play a big part, ya know? I'm only 5'2 and 110 pounds and DH is 5'10 and 140 pounds, we are not big people! Maybe Nichole is suppose to be tiny

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search