Hi, I'm Beth

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2007, 06:11 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
After our son, I thought I'd never be posting here. He gained weight just fine.

Our daughter, Anastasia, is not. She's 17 months now and weighs 16 lbs 12 oz. She keeps falling off her curve further and further. They can't even plot her weight any longer as the chart's key is where her weight would go. They have us "beefing up her diet" but she isn't much of an eater and there has been talk of feeding tubes which terrifies me. So I may be poking around here a bit.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Veteran
Quote:
After our son, I thought I'd never be posting here. He gained weight just fine.

Our daughter, Anastasia, is not. She's 17 months now and weighs 16 lbs 12 oz. She keeps falling off her curve further and further. They can't even plot her weight any longer as the chart's key is where her weight would go. They have us "beefing up her diet" but she isn't much of an eater and there has been talk of feeding tubes which terrifies me. So I may be poking around here a bit.[/b]

Hi, welcome to the board. I am pretty new here myself. My little boy Cade is 5 and at his last GI appt he was 29 lbs. He isn't much of an eater either and his GI has mentioned the feeding tube at our last two appointments as well. Does Anastasia drink Pediasure? When Cade was her age we had feeding difficulties due to some major sensory issues and he used to drink it for me but he won't even consider it now!

Cade is having an endoscopy done on Jan 15th, hoping we may get some answers then.

Anyway, welcome again! Looking forward to hearing more about Anastasia.

Jenn
Mommy to Kendall, Cade and Colton
December 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
we tried pediasure, but she won't drink it. She's a nurser and she very rarely will drink anything else.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

January 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Veteran
Quote:
we tried pediasure, but she won't drink it. She's a nurser and she very rarely will drink anything else.[/b]
I know how that can be. My son didn't want to drink anything at all out of a cup when he was younger. I nursed him as well and never pumped either so he was used to only me. We had to go through extensive OT to get him to even allow a cup near his face. I was shocked as ever when he self weaned at about 22 months! I thought I'd be nursing him for a really long time.

Jenn
January 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Sorry to hear about your daughter's weight struggles.

What have they done so far to find the cause before thinking about things like feeding tubes? Bloodwork? Feeding clinic? Tests? My daughter is a poor eater as well. They weren't able to find any physical reasons for her lack of appetite besides her constipation issues. I have been working with a feeding clinic to work on strategies to get her to eat. Have you had any of this kind of help? A special diet does no good if she won't eat it!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
January 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
She had a swallowing tests, and other various developmental tests done to see if she was hitting appropriate milestones. But she was behind a little there (right on the cusp). They are going to do blood test to look for diseases and such but they brought up feeding tubes because she won't eat.

January 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Beth... I'm so sorry you're having to be here.

Are they going to try anything else before resorting to a feeding tube? I really hope you can get some answers and figure this out... Good luck!

January 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure. They've brought up the feeding tube 3 or 4 times now. I'm going to fight tooth and nail for that to be the absolute last resort.

January 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm not sure. They've brought up the feeding tube 3 or 4 times now. I'm going to fight tooth and nail for that to be the absolute last resort.[/b]
Good for you... I don't see why they can't first make sure there's nothing medical going on, and second try and see if it's behavioral... From all the reading i've done on FTT it seems that tube feeding SHOULD be a last resort, because it almost always creates more problems as far as kids refusing to eat.

I wonder if you're near a hospital with a feeding clinic or something? Caeden just got referred to the feeding/growth clinic at our Children's Hospital nearby. I'm not even entirely sure he needs it though, because he eats just fine... He was only refusing cow's milk, but is now drinking pediasure great. I'm still looking forward to it though, because i am not at all impressed or trusting of his pediatrician... And i think a second opinion, and possibly finding new resources could be a very good thing right now.

Maybe if your pediatrician won't refer you himself, could you take matters into your own hands? I'm not sure...

Anyways, best of luck to you and Anastacia! She's just an absolute doll... I'll be thinking of you guys.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search