PediaSure or similar product??

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
snowflake.girl's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to snowflake.girl
Just wondering if any of your little ones are using PediaSure?
Is it used solely for their nutrition, or are you supplementing to build caloric intake?
Does your little one have any issues with it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter drinks 4 cans per day, but does not consume any solids at all. It does cause her extremely runny bowel movements and we are currently getting them tested.
January 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we sometimes use pedisure in place of milk (my son is 2 now) but i think some moms have used it as their main source of food. brandon has constipation issues but when i give him one can a day of pedisure he goes great without his meds. i think it would make for runny poo if he had more than that. i've told his doctors that it helps his constipation and they always seem amazed and *i think* don't quite believe me.
January 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
How old is your daughter that she's drinking Pediasure instead of formula and not taking any solids? Is she too young for solids or is there some other reason she's not taking them?

We're using the Walgreens brand of Ensure for my 2 year old. He only likes the vanilla flavor and we have to mix it with milk or yogurt drink (Yo Baby bannana flavor). I've mixed it with half and half before too. He seems to like it, but he only gets one can a day, if that. He mostly eats solids. I looked at the Pediasure and it has less calories per volume than the Ensure, so that's why I went with Ensure. We're giving it to boost his calorie intake as he went down on the growth curve.
- Xty
January 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
snowflake.girl's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to snowflake.girl
Quote:
How old is your daughter that she's drinking Pediasure instead of formula and not taking any solids? Is she too young for solids or is there some other reason she's not taking them?

We're using the Walgreens brand of Ensure for my 2 year old. He only likes the vanilla flavor and we have to mix it with milk or yogurt drink (Yo Baby bannana flavor). I've mixed it with half and half before too. He seems to like it, but he only gets one can a day, if that. He mostly eats solids. I looked at the Pediasure and it has less calories per volume than the Ensure, so that's why I went with Ensure. We're giving it to boost his calorie intake as he went down on the growth curve.
- Xty[/b]
She is 18 months old, and has a very strong oral defensiveness that came along with her genetic condition. I introduced solids to her when she was about 5 months old - she was eating rice cereal, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, and we were just about to introduce some greens - and then she developed thrush.
Once she got the thrush, she developed the oral defensiveness - we thought it was something that would go away once the thrush was gone, but it just never did.

She has a problem with lactose, and so was on a lactose free formula until she was 15 months old - it wasn't enough for her and she stopped gaining weight between 12 and 15 months - she only gained 1.5lb; at that point she was diagnosed FTT and her pediatrician looked at our options. A dietician/nutritionist suggested that we try PediaSure.

Since October 1st, she has gained 3 pounds and her developmental skills have improved so much.
January 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son just recently started on Pediasure. We're using it as a supplement, since he refuses to drink cow's milk. So he's getting 2 bottles a day right now. He's been loving it, and it seems to be helping so far. It does constipate him though... Which i find interesting since you and Lisa have had the opposite effect! Lol.
January 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use a generic form of Pediasure as a caloric/nutritional supplement since DD does not eat very much. We do one can a day. She used to struggle with constipation, but doesn't anymore. I never thought about the Pediasure having anything to do with it. Could be!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
January 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We tried it, but I can't get Anastasia to drink it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Quote:
We tried it, but I can't get Anastasia to drink it.[/b]
Hey Beth... Just thought i'd ask.. Will Anastacia drink anything? Or will she only drink breastmilk? Because we struggled with getting Caeden to drink cow's milk, which he never did, so i was expecting a fight with the pediasure. Luckily he took to it, but the WIC growth clinic people had given me some suggestions to try if he didn't. If you want, i can share some of what they suggested, depending on where Anastacia's at right now... Let me know!
January 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We really can't get her to drink anything. She'll have water occasionally, but thats it. She still mainly nurses for her liquids.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

January 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Quote:
We really can't get her to drink anything. She'll have water occasionally, but thats it. She still mainly nurses for her liquids.[/b]
Hmm... Have you tried changing the texture? Like making a "pediasure slushie" type of thing? That way it's not so much a liquid for her? Just a thought... Gotta be so difficult that she won't drink anything and just wants to nurse. Hugs to you!
January 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
We've tried, it makes it worse if it's thick. She tends to choke, gag, and turn blue quite a bit

January 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Quote:
We've tried, it makes it worse if it's thick. She tends to choke, gag, and turn blue quite a bit [/b]
Oh man... I'm sorry. How frustrating! Guess i'm no help... Maybe eventually she'll grow to start taking in liquids. I hope so anyway. Good luck to you!
January 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
twingirls52905's Avatar loving my new baby boy
Send a message via Yahoo to twingirls52905
We use Parent's Choice brand of PediaSure for extra caloric intake for one of my twin girls. We try to do one a day (in the evenings) when we give it to her. She likes the strawberry flavor. They were premature and Isabelle only weighed 2lbs 9oz at birth. She has always been ALOT smaller than normal and her sister. She is just over 2.5 years old now and is only 22-23 lbs. She just doesn't gain weight much at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search