hi im new here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
lauradeeann's Avatar Veteran
hi im laura my son is 3 years old he is a very picky eater what do you do to get your child to eat? theres some days where i cant even get him to eat he does love veggies but they dont have enough calories the only thing he will want is milk and thats it he does like chicken flautas a lot but they arent really healthy but i do want him to gain weight he weighs 31 pounds hes tall and skinny and i dont want him to drink too much milk because hes anemic so he needs the iron to stay in his system any ideas of what to do?

March 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Welcome!!! I"m glad to see you over here!

I'm sorry to hear your son is so picky. I think we can all relate to picky eaters. I don't have any good advice I suppose. It took us about 6 months of earning my daughters trust to get her to eat anything. She wasn't eating very healthy in the beginning but as she began to eat MORE I would sneak healthier foods onto her plate. Veggies are very healthy, so I would let him eat a lot of those and then try to "fatten" them up with cheese or something for an extra calorie boost.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am at the point that I do not care what she is eating as long as she is eating . If he likes to eat veggies maybe you can fatten them up by adding butter.

BTW: My screen name used to be Issacsmom

March 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma

I'm not much help with the picky eater since my little one LOVES to eat and eats everything in sight....it just doesn't stay with her for some reason.

Have you tried things like Carnation bfast drink, Ensure, Pediasure and Boost? Those will add calories without being bad for him.

March 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Super Mommy
We "bargain" with our two year old. He loves fruit, which is great and healthy, but doesn't have much calories. So when he says he wants some orange while we are eating dinner, we say ok, but you have to have one bite of meatball first (or whatever it is we're eating). Then he gets one piece of orange. After a bit we up the required amount - three bites of something and then he gets the orange. Once we feel that he's at least had a bunch of the food we wanted him to eat we'll let him finish the meal with just orange if he still wants it. He also likes milk, but tends towards toddler's diarhea so we try to limit how much he drinks (plus if he fills up on the milk he's not hungry for the food). So we bargain with that too. Give him just a bit of milk in his cup and he has to eat something before he gets more. We offer choice too sometimes - like last night he could have either one bite of corn or one bite of chicken before we'd get him more milk - his choice. And we stay very positive about it "yea! good idea! you can have more milk - sure! But first please have one bite of chicken. Or one bite of corn. You choose. And then I'll go get some more milk!"
I have no experience with 3 year olds so I don't know if this would work for you or not. But you could try. If you do it you have to be prepared to stay firm though - you can't give in or he'll learn you don't really mean it.
Good luck!
- XTy
(Ps We also use ensure and we use yogurt drink instead of straight milk - both have more calories than milk alone).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search