Feeding Cinic follow up

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*Sigh*

So, after our last appointment, and his recent good appointments with his doctor and WIC, i expected his follow up with the feeding clinic today to be pretty much in and out, and the end of that road.

So of course it wasn't. Because he tends to gain in spurts, and he got weighed last time after having JUST had a growth spurt, they didn't think he'd gained enough this time. So now we do have to keep coming back after all, and have new rules for his eating. He's only allowed to eat and drink in his high chair at specific meal and snack times. I know he is NOT going to be happy about this change, so i'm gonna be in for it for awhile... But i guess we'll see what happens.
March 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
*Sigh*

So, after our last appointment, and his recent good appointments with his doctor and WIC, i expected his follow up with the feeding clinic today to be pretty much in and out, and the end of that road.

So of course it wasn't. Because he tends to gain in spurts, and he got weighed last time after having JUST had a growth spurt, they didn't think he'd gained enough this time. So now we do have to keep coming back after all, and have new rules for his eating. He's only allowed to eat and drink in his high chair at specific meal and snack times. I know he is NOT going to be happy about this change, so i'm gonna be in for it for awhile... But i guess we'll see what happens.[/b]
why does he have to eat tin the highchair at specific times?

I'm sorry your appt didn't go as planned. Babies grow in spurts
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Sorry the appt didn't go well.

March 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Quote:
why does he have to eat tin the highchair at specific times?[/b]
Because she doesn't want him having access to food and drink all the time (which i have pretty much let him do, because i figured it was more important to get the calories in him) so that he'll actually build up an appetite. She thinks right now he's just snacking and taking the edge off his hunger, and therefore not eating as much as he could.

I honestly don't know... The logic makes sense, but i don't know if that's what's REALLY going on with Caeden. We'll see what happens though.

I just hope he doesn't lose too much because of this.
March 27th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I guess I can see the logic in that. I was told to let Anastasia graze because their tummies are so small anyway that it's better to have her eating all the time and getting more that way. I hope it works out for Caeden.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

March 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Quote:
I guess I can see the logic in that. I was told to let Anastasia graze because their tummies are so small anyway that it's better to have her eating all the time and getting more that way. I hope it works out for Caeden.[/b]
Lmao!

Isn't it crazy how much conflicting information there is depending on who you talk to? See, that was pretty much how i thought with Caeden. He eats more that way, so why push the highchair/specific eating times issue?

I said i'd give this a try, and i will... But i wonder how long is giving it a fair chance? I just weighed him and he's already down to 21 lbs. 4 ounces (after being 21 lbs 12 ounces last week, and 21 pounds 9 ounces at the feeding clinic two days ago). I worry about him losing too much, but i also know i have to stick with it for a while to see any results.

*Sigh* I'm sick of this crap being so hard.
March 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Weighed him again today and now he's down to 20 lbs. 11 ozs. So a full pound down now.
March 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
oh wow... are they still sticking with the eat in the high chair only thing?

March 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Quote:
oh wow... are they still sticking with the eat in the high chair only thing?[/b]
Well, i'm just weighing him at home. We don't go back for another 2 months. So i don't know, at what point do you think maybe i should call and see what they think?
March 30th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I think if he continues to lose weight this quickly, I would call. A lb is a lot of weight in such a short time Poor little thing, and poor mama... I know you must be completely stressed out. *hugs*

March 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, A pound is alot! I would give them a call .

March 31st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Super Mommy
I'd call. It will, if nothing else, ease your mind.

Have you seen any difference in how much he's eating when in the high chair now? Is he eating more in the high chair now than he did before when he was snacking all day? What is your gut telling you? Do you think over the course of the day he's eating more now or less?
- Xty
March 31st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure, honestly... it's hard to tell. He sometimes refuses to eat at all, and usually is done pretty quickly. But then some meals he'll shovel the food in during that quick time... It really varies from day to day, meal to meal.

The other problem is he's been teething off and on, which always makes him eat and drink less when he's actively teething.

So at this point, i'm just weighing him daily and watching that. The last two days he hasn't dropped anymore, and has stayed steady at 20 lbs. 12/13 ozs. So if he stays steady and hopefully picks back up gaining again then obviously we're fine and it's working. If he drops more however... I think i'll call, for peace of mind at the very least.

It's just hard, because i worry about what the right thing to do is... I still feel like being lax in the rules isn't such a huge deal if it means he gets more calories in him. I also worry about GIVING him food issues by pushing these rules and making food a battleground, when eating has never really been a problem for him. But then, their logic makes sense too, and i worry that maybe i'm just a bad mom doing it all wrong.

It's hard.
March 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
You are NOT a bad mom. A bad mom wouldn't care if her child was gaining or losing. You are a wonderful mom, and don't you forget that!

April 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Super Mommy
You are trying your best - you are not a bad mom. It's totally apparent you care - you are not a bad mom. That said I totally understand - I feel like a bad mom a lot too! LOL
Have you tried tylenol and ibuprofen when he's teething? We'll alternate the two when my DS is really upset with the teething. Seems to help. If you can make his mouth feel better, he might eat a bit more. Also offer really soft food when teething too - yogurt (YoBaby) is awesome during this as it's soft, requires no painful chewing and is cold which helps numb too.
Good luck
- Xty
April 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You are so not a bad mom!

April 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
You are not a bad mom. If what they suggest doesn't work do it your way. There is no way they can make you and it is important that your child gains weight...whether it is in his high chair or by snacking all day. You need to do what you feel is best for you and your child.

April 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Regular
I was told to put my son in the high chair and not let him graze but, he used to do much better eating without being in the high chair.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search