AF told me to get back on the TTC wagon

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
ma2b2010's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I'm joining you all on the TTC journey. I had my d&c on Dec 18th, after discovering that my 9 week pregnancy consisted of an empty sac. Analysis showed that my egg had Trisomy 16 (chromosomal abnormality) and could not survive.

So... after patiently waiting for AF to arrive, she finally showed her face today (5 weeks after my d&c).... on my day off, of course, but heck, I was strangely glad to see her. This is just another step toward my recovery and I look forward to TTC'ing again.

Baby dust to all of you!
January 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM
Super Mommy
Hello there, I'm pretty much in the exact same position. I naturally m/c'd on Dec 17th and got my first AF on Jan 14th. The day I found out my pregnancy wasn't viable the Dr. said to wait 2 cycles before trying again.

I was just wondering, is there a medical reason to wait for 2 cycles? Is that just for the Dr. so that I can say "my cycle is x days long"? Or is it to make sure the uterine environment is optimal?

Basically, do I HAVE to listen to the Dr. and wait another month, or would everything be ok if I decide to try this month?

Thanks!
January 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, somehow my first AF was very healing - like taking a deep breath and starting again.

Different doctors will give you different opinions. Some of it is based on your unique circumstances (like if you have any other medical problems). Usually, though, if you feel up to it, then it's probably okay to start trying. It is helpful to know when your last real AF was for dating purposes, but not essential. Good luck!

January 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
wild - yes, it is very healing!

sly - I wish I could give you an answer but from the many different stories I've heard and read about, there really is no consistent pattern or answer. There are women who start trying 2 weeks after their m/c or d&c and end up with a beautiful full term baby. However, there are also a share of failures... In fact, I'm guilty of not following the doctor's orders and had unprotected sex 2 weeks after the D&C on multiple occasions... and here I am with AF. I guess my body hasn't fully healed. However, like I said before, there are a share of success stories.

One of my friends was told to wait after 3 cycles after her d&c. She patiently waited and now she has 2 beautiful children and no subsequent m/c's. Although my doc told me to wait after 1 cycle, I might stay on the safe side and wait 3 cycles.

It's a tough decision... Like Wild said, it's more important that you are physically and emotionally ready to try again. If I were you, ask you doctor about why you have to wait so you can make a more informed decision. Best wishes!
January 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Hi Ma2b.. I am so sorry for your loss.. HUGS Welcome to the board.

I know the feeling of relief to see AF after a d/c.... I hope your body is now back to normal.. and your stay here is short.. and you get your sticky BFP!

As for the waiting.. thier is no medical reason to wait. IF you are healthy and have no other health reasons.. You have no increased risk of having another m/c... most Dr's ask you to wait for AF to show they can date the pregnancy.. Your body will not get pregnant if it is not ready to.. HUGS to you all.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
January 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi There ...I had a blighted ovum (empty sac) at 10 weeks...very difficult because up to then I had all the symptoms and found out when they did an ultrasound...Ihad a DNC the same day (DEC.9 2009) because i started bleeding. My first AF began Jan.8 almost a month to the day of my DNC.
I started OPK's on CD9 and got a Positive smiley on CD10 but then again on CD14...Not too sure what to make of that.
I feel for you and hope all is well for you soon!!!
January 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a miscarriage on 12/16/09 at 15w4d. I don't even know what point I am at. I didn't bleed when I found out I miscarried. Dr. induced me on the 16th and I had my little angel that night. I have basically been bleeding/spotting since. Thought I was done bleeding on Jan 15th but started spotting again on the 19th. How long did you bleed after your D&C? Seems like most ppl on here only bleed for like a week. I don't even know when I will see AF. Dr. said it could be 3-4 weeks but I am still spotting. My dr. told me to wait til after my first period but now after getting even more results back he wants me to see a genetics counselor. My DH and I both want to start TTC right now!

I wish you the best of luck and everyone else too!
January 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Kary - that's what my doc said as well, so I'm cautiously "not trying, not preventing." Granted, I should trust what my doctor tells me... but I've read about waiting until your hormone levels are back to normal and to give your body ample time to heal. However, there are plenty of stories where women have conceived 2 weeks after their d&c. I want to try right away, but may try to wait at least one more cycle just in case.

simplysue - thx for the well wishes and sorry for your loss. I barely had any symptoms during my pregnancy (only sore boobs and bloating)... it must be irritating, for the lack of better terms, to suffer thru all the nastier pregnancy symptoms (such as morning sickness), only to find out that the pregnancy was not viable. As for what you mentioned of CD, I don't chart or temp.... however, I've read that common that your hormones can still be outta whack a couple wks after d&c... so I guess I'm trying to say that your body may act strangely a couple weeks after a m/c or d&c.

Lisa - thx for the well wishes and I'm sorry for your loss and my prayers go out to your beautiful angel.. To answer your question, I bled for approx 2 weeks. It started off light during wk 1, and then early wk2, I passed some heavy blood clots. By the end of wk 2, it was super light spotting and by my post-op appt, I was done. My doc said bleeding could be longer than 2 weeks as well, but I guess it varies woman to woman. I know it's torturous to wait, but I'm sure your AF will come soon!!!!

Last edited by ma2b2010; January 24th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
January 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SimplySue- How long did you bleed after your D&C?

Ma2b- It is very frustrating. I just really wish I knew what my body is doing. I just want to know when we could start trying again. I know my dr. wants us to see a genetics counselor but I don't think we are going to wait. I am still going to have them schedule an appt. but I think we are going to try at the same time. If we happen to get preg. before the appt. then we do and if not then I guess it wasn't meant to be yet.

Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
January 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
LisaG - the bleeding if you can call it that (it was more lke spotting with one or two mildly heavier days) lasted about 7 days followed by a couple days of thick mucas. My levels went down to normal around the 23 of Dec (2 weeks after DNC) . I used opk's and had the positive on CD20 and AF arrived on Jan 8th. I have never experienced such a heavy period with clots not even after childbirth. I think my system is still out of wack and hope it evens out soon.

Best of Luck to You

Tags
d&c , trisomy , trisomy 16 , ttc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search