Had RE Appt yesterday...was epic CLUSTER (but ended well)

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Sorry I haven't been around recently - parents were in town to celebrate Christmas early so has been chaos

I went for the RE appt yesterday very late day (last appt) b/c they were able to work me in early due to someone cancelling. I'm still absorbing the unreal cluster that was the appt....let me share some of the highlights

~ After waiting almost an hour (!) in a variety of different rooms (they kept moving us) the RE begins by telling me how sorry he is for my loss (thanks...) but that he's looked at my records and that i need to understand that not every pregnancy ends in a successful birth (umm...duh...yeah i KNOW). And then proceeds to tell me that he sees no reason why I shouldn't try again immediately and that I should have no issue that he can see with future pregnancies (umm...what?)....it's right about now that I realize my OB's office HASN'T SENT ANY RELEVANT RECORDS ABOUT THE FACTOR II & APS ISSUE TO HIM

~ So i say as gently as I can "thanks for the reassurance, but I believe my Dr sent me here to discuss treatment plan because I've tested positive for Factor II and anticardiolipins....blank look....he pulls up all the info they sent him and reads through it again to be sure, and yep OB's office sent him all the u/s & notes from both losses but nothing on the RPL bloodwork results they actually referred me to see him about. SIGH. He is puzzled by why OB would have even thought to do this bloodwork on me (but impressed she did) and I explain because i'm 39 we didn't want to wait to know if there's an issue, to which he says "You're NOT 39, I don't believe you!) Apparently I look 32 (awesome news!, but not impressive reading of my chart info)...

Long story short (or not that short this is already long!):

~ As to the blood clotting disorders, I'll start taking baby aspirin daily immediately...once pregnant (more on that below) after 2 good HcG pulls RE will put me on Lovoxen injection (daily), monitor me to 6-8 weeks i think and then discharge me to OB (who will also have me see Peri).

~ RE however wants me to take Clomid, and honestly not for any great reason (he thinks it will help me ovulate)...I declined (repeatedly) because a) we've had NO issue getting pregnant, we get pregnant very quickly and b) i have multiple risk factors for having twins already & my sister is currently pregnant with frat twins so no way in h-e-double hockey sticks am i voluntarily increasing my risk for twins another 8-10% unless i REALLY need clomid. DH actually looked like he was having a panic attack when RE, in an attempt to reassure is, tells him that they haven't had TRIPLETS on Clomid in over 12 years I told RE "you're REALLY not selling us on trying Clomid now"

~ Even though I don't necessarily think I need to, I have agreed to come in Sat for an u/s to check ovaries/follies and get a trigger shot. Unlike my OB (who is not fan of giving progesterone supplements ever) this RE is handing them out like it's candy (go figure) and he thinks that the trigger shot will help ensure (assuming we get lucky this cycle) best change for good implantation...and then he plans to give me progesterone supplements. I'm ashamed to say that I don't even think I need/want the trigger shot - but figure it can't hurt - but I WANT to stay with the RE because he'll give me the progesterone no question, so figured it made sense to do this his way since he thinks it's best path (although he's prefer I do the Clomid too).

~ Once pregnant, RE also plans to do a couple HcG checks (another thing my OB doesn't do unless there's a problem), and i'm thinking I could probably get them to do multiple ones if I push a little

So anyway, it was a totally surreal appt, especially since I expected a quick meeting to discuss blood thinners and instead got whole push for Clomid & multiple u/s to montor everything at start & middle of cycle. The good news is, he said no reason we can't try immediately (YAY) and I could be getting trigger shot as early as THIS SATURDAY (!!) if they like what they see on the u/s.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
December 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Just wanted to stop in and say YAY! Lara! That sounds like a great appt!! My RE also was big on progesterone, I was never tested for it, but he puts everyone on it.

All crossables crossed that this is your cycle!
December 20th, 2011, 08:40 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Lara all in all I think your appointment sounds like it went well! (other than the doctor not looking at the chart & pushing clomid). How freaking exciting that you might be triggering as soon as this Saturday! Sending baby dust your way

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

December 20th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Started our rocky but had a grand finale! So glad you're moving in such a positive direction. I can't wait to hear news of your super-sticky BFP.
December 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lara awesome appointment!! I hope that you get pregnant quickly with your rainbow baby. Sounds like this RE is a keeper.
December 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
cdukes2010's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post

~ RE however wants me to take Clomid, and honestly not for any great reason (he thinks it will help me ovulate)...I declined (repeatedly) because a) we've had NO issue getting pregnant, we get pregnant very quickly and b) i have multiple risk factors for having twins already & my sister is currently pregnant with frat twins so no way in h-e-double hockey sticks am i voluntarily increasing my risk for twins another 8-10% unless i REALLY need clomid. DH actually looked like he was having a panic attack when RE, in an attempt to reassure is, tells him that they haven't had TRIPLETS on Clomid in over 12 years I told RE "you're REALLY not selling us on trying Clomid now"
I have to admit, this part made me laugh a little. Poor DH, ha he had no idea what he was in for huh!
I am so so happy for you! This is wonderful news and such awesome timing right before Christmas. It looks like we will both have a little more hope going through the holidays than maybe we had anticipated.

Photo by Astra Creative Photography
Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

December 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I'm so glad that in the end it was a good appointment.
December 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad it ENDED in a great appt! GL with the trigger and KUP on the u/s results!
December 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone - i am so excited to get the all clear to TTC immediately!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdukes2010 View Post
I have to admit, this part made me laugh a little. Poor DH, ha he had no idea what he was in for huh!
I am so so happy for you! This is wonderful news and such awesome timing right before Christmas. It looks like we will both have a little more hope going through the holidays than maybe we had anticipated.
I was laughing so hard...DH turned like 2 shades white when the RE said "triplets" and i'm thinking...dude, we just told you we're afraid of twins - no chance DH will get on board Clomid when you tell him someone on your watch once got triplets from it

I'm not totally opposed to taking Clomid, but definitely want to try a normal cycle before bringing in the big fertility meds...frat twins run in my family, and while i'd still be thrilled if i had them naturally, they come with a lot of complications that honestly scare the crud out of me now that i'm facing a higher risk pregnancy with the clotting issues anyway...so all things being equal I don't want to raise the chance of having them unless there's no other choice to be made.

Savannah Stylin!

December 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Glad it all ended well!! Good luck with TTC!!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

December 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't help but laugh at the triplets comment, I can just imaging your DH face. I'm so freaking happy that the appt went so well, and you get to start TTC right away, I can see a New years miracle coming

December 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds great Lara!! I hope that this is it for you!

I really don't get why he'd push clomid...

With any luck you'll be in that brand new September DDC!!!

December 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Glad it went well, despite the rocky start! Good luck! I hope you're pregnant really soon!

December 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Good luck! Glad your appointment was good overall.

I am also 39 and this was the rate of pregnancy/multiples that my RE told me went along with my age (I thought you might find it interesting):

Normal Conception Rates (for my age)
  • Getting Pregnant - 5%
  • Twins - 2%
  • HOM (High Order Multiples) - <1%

Oral Medicine (Clomid/Letrazole)
  • Getting Pregnant - 8%
  • Twins - 8%
  • HOM - <1%

Oral Medicine (Clomid/Letrazole) with IUI
  • Getting Pregnant - 10-15%
  • Twins - 8%
  • HOM - <1%

Injectible Medicine (FSH) with IUI
  • Getting Pregnant - 15-20%
  • Twins - 15%
  • HOM - <1%

IVF
  • Getting Pregnant - 40%
  • Twins - 20-25%
  • HOM - 1-2%

Last edited by Shadeauxe; December 21st, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
December 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
Congrats on having a good appointment despite the rocky start.
December 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Lara, I wanted to read the whole story, and glad I did! All in all a very successful appt. I am so happy you've got a plan!! Good luck this month!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

December 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
i have so many typos in my original post, i think i'm more impressed everyone was able to understand it at all...for the record, i think the actual med they're going to put me on is Lovenox not whatever the heck i spelled up there

And Courtney, thanks for the %s based on our age...that is interesting info. I don't really know how much higher my risk is b/c of all the twins running around on one side (and now my sister too) of the family, but OB just says "oh well then you definitely could have them"

Savannah Stylin!

December 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
OMG! I could just see my DH's face if I ever said anything about triplets! He is nervous about the twins issue!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search