Should I try this?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By momof8lopez
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
We know that I can get pregnant, but ever since I had my first two kids, I apparently have problems staying pregnant. Chemicals, early losses, and the 11 week loss. :/ I've been doing daily baby aspirin and Folbic since the 11-week loss, and I saw the RE for the first time in late March/early April who determined I have a blood clotting issue and told me to take heparin 2x daily when I get a positive test. That also does not seem to have helped me in staying pregnant because I've had at least two chemicals since then. Last cycle I also started on a lower dose of soy isoflavones cd 4-8, and absolutely nothing came of it...no pregnancy, no losses, no nothing. I increased the dosage for this cycle and switched to CD 1-5.

So now I've been wondering if maybe I need to be on the blood thinners even earlier. I've been reading how some REs put their patients with blood clotting issues and recurrent loss on heparin or lovenox while TTC. I have an active prescription for 6 more refills and nearly a month's supply on-hand here at home. Would it be a bad idea if I tried taking it while TTC? AF is done, so I was thinking if I'm going to give it a try, I should probably start either today or tomorrow. I'm not a fan of the shots and the bruising, but if it could help...it'd be worth it.

I know with the heparin you need to be monitored occasionally to make sure your platelets don't get low, but they wouldn't be checking on it right away anyways, even if I did as told and didn't start it until I got a positive. The instruction sheet that the RE gave me for the heparin actually says on there that they have IVF patients use it.........so I'm thinking, it couldn't hurt me to try, even though I'm not using IVF....

I don't know what to think or do. What are your thoughts??? Has anyone else here used a blood thinner (other than just aspirin) while TTC?

July 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I would not do it without talking to your doctor first. For one thing, they may limit how often you can refill the medications. They may also refuse to write you another prescription is you you take it without discussing it with them first.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
July 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I have a good friend that had 3 m/c before her blood clotting order was diagnosed. Her Dr. started her on Lovenox as soon as she got a positive test, and she did an IUI to conceive her darling daughter. It was not recommended to take it until she had a positive, but I don't know the reason behind that. And she was being monitored by her dr. for the IUI. I'm not sure if would hurt TTC, but not sure if it would help either. I think, usually, the blood clotting issue is usually within the placenta and that is not fully formed until the 5th week of pregnancy and you would have a positive test by then. I think talking to your Dr. about it would be good.

I'm so very sorry for your losses and I hope the soy works for you this month. There are also other things you can take to boost egg quality for you and sperm quality for your husband, such as fertilityblend for men or women.

I think the baby aspirin is a good start to be on. ((HUGS)) I hope you have a sticky baby super soon!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

July 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could always ask the ladies at TTC w/ medical assistance and see if any of them have any suggestions as well!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't start it until you talked to your doctor. My sister is on blood thinners (Coumadin) and she has to be monitored weekly until her numbers are right. If it is to thin she takes the risk of bleeding to death from a paper cut. She is not trying to get pregnant and was told she couldn't have anymore kids from her blood clots. Her's is something totally different though than what you are going through. She has to be on blood thinners for the rest of her life. So please don't start it without talking to your doctor.

July 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not have a blood clotting disorder and found out because I was taking daily baby aspirin (the whole month) that it was causing my eggs to lutenize(msp) or other words, "over rippen and not release". I stopped the aspirin and became pregnant with my first rainbow within 2mo. Now I only take the aspirin at the start of a bfp. Not sure if any other types of blood thinners would cause your eggs to do the same in the beginning of a cycle or not. I think women who are going IVF take the blood thinners due to high does of hormones and their eggs are retrieved anyway, so no chance of the thinners interfering with the egg maturing. Just a thought.
*Leah* likes this.
July 22nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I have no advice on this but I wanted to say I agree with the other ladies about talking to your doctor. It may actually do more harm than good.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

July 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice, but I ditto especially the them not writing you another prescription part.

Oct '11 June '12
July 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I would only do it under doctors supervision like they know you are.

I have had plenty of chemicals over the years and they have been due to a LP of 6-8 days. I gave up in the end as supplements did not agree with me.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Yea......I decided against it. I'm sure some of you know how your mind makes you think all kinds of crazy things when going through TTCAL.

Right now I'm just trying to stay sane.
*Leah* likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well and especially the way some of these ladies' doctors, even RE's, failed to recommend or suggest proper treatment resulting in more recurrent losses...I think anyone who is dealing with this would probably think, there's gotta be something they're missing. So I think it's easy to second guess sometimes. I hope you can get your sticky bean real soon!
JulieMc and *Leah* like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search