Should I wean?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~*Nicole*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
I need some advice and opinions...I have been nursing my son for almost 21 months. Now that I have had an early loss I am wondering if I should wean before ttc or if it will make a difference? I don't want to rush my toddler but I really want to avoid another loss.

November 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could answer your question. I know that I've read time and time again that it is safe. I was on the fence about it after my loss and decided to wean. My daughter is almost 18 months old and was only nursing once a day, so it wasn't difficult. I would think you should be able to, just make sure you are eating enough and eating healthy.

November 25th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I was EBF when I got pregnant with Tessa and again with Seth. When I get pregnant I dry up. My loss was late at 18 weeks. So i had weaned 11 weeks beofre my loss.

I wouldn't wean to TTC. However both of my kids weaned really easy and took to formula and solidas easily.

November 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I was BFing my baby when I got pregnant. She was 14 months old and weaned herself! I know that pregnancy can alter the taste of your milk, but I have never heard of it having an effect on an actual pregnancy (although it does increase a woman's chances of conceiving twins!). I wouldn't wean just to TTC either, but do what you feel most comfortable with
lil_fishy likes this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

November 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I think I just need to watch my nutrition. I noticed my supply dropped immediately after I got pregnant. I would love for him to wean himself! He is currently nursing approx 5 times a day. He loves the boob.

November 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you have gotten some great advice from the other ladies. I think it is a great idea to watch your nutrition and make sure you are getting enough protein, healthy fats, and calcium. Like the others have said, everything I have read has said that breastfeeding should not impact a pregnancy.

I am also TTC while nursing my daughter, and with a history of loss and infertility, I know how easily those worries can creep in. It can be so hard to be in that place where you don't know what the right thing to do is. Sometimes it just feels like every choice is sacrificing something. I just wanted to give you hugs on being in that place and say that whatever choice you make is the right one for your family!
November 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks so much! It's so comforting to hear these things.

November 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Regular
I agree with what the others are saying. Ultimately, it's a very personal decision and only one that you can make. I have to praise you for breastfeeding so long, way to go, Mama! I'm nursing my 17 month old who also loves the boob (he nurses 6-8 times a day and has 2-3 bottles of pumped milk at daycare every day), and have some of the same questions. I had an early loss also (miscarried between 10-11 weeks with a blighted ovum), and I often wonder if nursing contributed to this loss. I've had many lactation consultants, midwives and other professionals assure me that it did not cause my MC, but I still worry that it somehow played a part. While pregnant, I had to increase my overall calories, protein intake and fluid intake. My supply dropped some very early on. I noticed that I was pumping about 2-4 oz. less every day, but I still had enough to meet my son's needs. I don't know how much it would have been affected later in pregnancy. I've heard that most women don't see a big decrease until around 20 wks., and that most all women that nurse during pregnancy go on to have healthy, full-term deliveries. Definitely get as much rest as possible. I notice if I'm short on sleep, my supply takes a hit. Whatever you decide, you should be commended for your dedication to nursing for this length of time. AFM-I think I will continue to nurse for awhile longer. If God forbid, I have another loss, then maybe I will reevaluate at that time, but for now I'm going to give TTC and nursing another shot. I'm hoping/praying that it was just a coincidence and that my body was meant to handle nursing and pregnancy at the same time. Best wishes and good luck to you!
November 27th, 2012, 06:38 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
No advice but I just wanted to say good luck and I'm sure whichever you decide will be the right choice for you

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

November 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Its such a hard decision. Once I got my cycle back, my hormones were all throw out of wack and my supply tanked. Mallory had been only given BM (either from me or EBM when with my mom) This loss of supply happened to a couple friends as well. So, I started pumping 6 times a day for 30 mins each and it didn't help a bit. I tried fenugreek, brewers yeast, everything and it just tanked. My point? lol - Hormones can seriously affect your supply, so that is probably why it changed when you got pg. And I do think that bf can mess with your normal hormones that can help you get pg. But everyone is different.

It's hard, because everyone is so different, and I had a friend bf through her entire 2nd pregnancy.

If you think it is the reason you m/c, then it's possible stopping bf could prevent a future m/c, but without really knowing, unfortunately, it's just a guessing game. I know I'm not much help, just know that whatever you decide will be the best decision for you. ((HUGS))
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Last edited by *Leah*; November 27th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search