Possible Chemical Pregnancy?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By akwags
  • 1 Post By .:Shortcake:.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Regular
Hi ladies. What a roller coaster I've been on, since my loss in September. I got what I believed to be my first post-loss period on October 27th. Then, two weeks later I started seeing EWCM and my BBT dipped right before suspected O, and then shot up the day after. We timed BD well and I was optimistic that we'd have a good shot at conceiving (believing that the timing was right and that I would be very fertile after my loss). I had what I later believed to be implantation cramps and a dip in my BBT around 10 dpo (initially I thought for sure that I was out this month after experiencing the cramping). On cycle day 25, I got a faint positive pregnancy test result with a FRER. I had taken the test with 2nd morning urine, so I waited until the next day and took a test with FMU. I expected the test to get darker, and it was the same, or maybe even a bit lighter than the previous day's test. I continued to test daily over the next two days, and the tests never got darker. Then, on Friday, I got what I believe to be my period. It came on exactly 28 days from my last period, which makes me think that's what's going on. I am so sad I had a surprise planned to announce the news to my husband, but was waiting until the tests started to get darker before telling him. Now I'm not sure what happened. I wonder if it's still possible that I had some HCG in my system from the loss? I had been taking preg. tests periodically to make sure the HCG was leaving my system after the loss (I never had a US to confirm that all the tissue had passed). But, I was using dollar store tests, which aren't as sensitive as FRER. So, is it possible that I have some HCG left over from my loss that is showing up on the FRER, but not on the $store tests? Or, is it more likely that I had a chemical pregnancy? Or, am I just studying the stupid tests so hard, that I'm seeing lines that aren't there?
*Leah* likes this.
November 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Veteran
I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. If you had a period after your loss, and have had negative tests, I would think that your levels had returned to 0 and this is a new pregnancy. If you didn't have lab work or ultrasound to confirm though, it's impossible to say for sure. I have read about women who believe they are having another loss but in reality have not fully recovered from the first. Ideally your doctor would run a quantitative hcg level and go from there to determine if you need an ultrasound or subsequent testing. I hope you can get some answers, thoughts and prayers are with you.
November 27th, 2012, 05:43 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I am so sorry that your going through this. It is very possible that it was a new pregnancy and was a chemical pregnancy. However it is possible that you still had small amounts of HCG in your system. FRER can detect smaller amounts of HCG that the $ store tests. I wish I had more helpful information but it's really hard to tell which one it is.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

November 27th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Regular
Thanks, ladies. My midwife didn't think it was necessary to run any blood tests, or to do an U/S if I "felt as though I had passed everything". I felt as though I had passed everything when the bleeding slowed and then eventually stopped, so I never requested any further investigation. Maybe I should have? Hopefully now that this second "period" is underway, I should have flushed everything out. Maybe I should take a FRER this week to make sure I'm getting negatives with a sensitive test? This has certainly made me cautious of taking early HPT's though. Part of me just doesn't want to know if I'm going to have a chemical pregnancy.
November 27th, 2012, 06:16 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwags View Post
Thanks, ladies. My midwife didn't think it was necessary to run any blood tests, or to do an U/S if I "felt as though I had passed everything". I felt as though I had passed everything when the bleeding slowed and then eventually stopped, so I never requested any further investigation. Maybe I should have? Hopefully now that this second "period" is underway, I should have flushed everything out. Maybe I should take a FRER this week to make sure I'm getting negatives with a sensitive test? This has certainly made me cautious of taking early HPT's though. Part of me just doesn't want to know if I'm going to have a chemical pregnancy.
I would take one after AF leaves and make sure it's negative. If it's not then I would go in and get a blood test just to make sure that it's negative and there isn't something else going on. For some testing early makes them feel in control to know as soon as possible (and sometimes it's for medical reasons as well) but for some it's not worth testing early because it causes undue stress. Only you can decide what is right for you.
lil_fishy likes this.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

November 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
{HUGS} so sorry

November 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
((HUGS)). My hcg took 6 weeks to go back down to 0 after my m/c. I had a natural one (well, as natural as it can be with a pill). I know if you have a d&c it goes down within a week. But everyone is different.

If you never got a neg test in between there, it could just still be from the m/c. Either way, I'm so very sorry sweetie.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search