Follow up after D&C?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Anybody out there who has had a d&c before - when was your first follow up appt? I had set one up a week and a half out, but the dr's office canceled it saying I don't need to come in til 6 weeks post surgery. Was kind of looking forward to going in and them checking something out that would give me an indication that my levels are going back down like they should be.
December 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
I haven't had a D&C, so I'm not sure, but I did have laprascopic surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy - I had a follow-up appointment 1 week later.

Six weeks seems like a long time... but I'm not really sure what the "standard" is.

Hugs to you.

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/
December 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My D&C was several years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe my follow up was also 6 weeks later. It is a long time to wait, I know If you are worried about your levels, you can take HPTs and make sure they are getting lighter. If you see anything that concerns you, you can always call to get some bloodwork done.

HCG levels can take several weeks to go down, and be completely normal, though. So if you are still getting positives, try not to get really worried. I'm so sorry for your loss
December 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My follow up after my d&c was 6 weeks after too.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

December 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your replies - 6 weeks looks to be the norm I guess. Now it's just a waiting game, ugghh. I did buy some ic's and did one test a week out, which of course was positive, and am planning on poas this friday @ 2 weeks out. Hoping for at least a fainter line. Spoke with the nurse this morning who told me my OB wants me to wait at least 3 mos ttc. Double ugghh.
December 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told 2-3 weeks post-op. I went a couple days shy of 3 weeks.

Doc did a cervical exam and did a transvaginal u/s to ensure there was no retained tissue and there was not any scar tissue. Then we just discussed ttc again. I requested having my thyroid levels checked and he said okay. My doc doesn't do serial hcg measurement unless the u/s was abnormal.
December 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Jessie - Glad to hear your follow up went well.

I was really hoping my OB would do the same but I guess that's not their protocol. Would be nice having peace of mind knowing eveything in my uterus is as it should be. I am still spotting/ passing small clots and just started getting some lower back pain, which the nurse said was all normal, so I guess I will just have to take her word for it. I have an appt next week with my holistic chiropractor, so I'm hoping he can do some acupuncture and massage to help clear out my uterus if there's anything left in there.

Did your Dr give you an amt of time until you can ttc again? From reading various posts it seems it's highly variable of when to ttc. Anywhere from right away until 6 mos. I have started drinking raspberry leaf tea which is supposed to help with uterine lining, in hopes of ttc again sooner. Really have no idea if the surgeon did a lot of scraping during my d&c, but I'm thinking my first af will give me a general idea. Hate the waiting game and being in limbo without a cycle...praying for patience!
December 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started to get really concerned because I had some super strong cramps that would even wake me up at night and some abdominal tenderness starting about 1.5 weeks after the d&c. At first I wasn't even going to go in for the follow up (simply bc of the emotional aspect of being back in that office), but I figured that if I had an infection or something it would need to be taken care of asap. Luckily, it was just me being a hypochondriac!

The hospital doctor who performed the procedure said 3 cycles before ttc. I was too upset at that point to ask any questions. When I went back to my regular OB, he said 2 cycles. This time, I was thinking more coherently, and asked what the risks were if I were to get pregnant before 2 (or 3) cycles. He actually said there is no medical reason. He said if you get pregnant before your first period, there is about a 1% higher chance of miscarraige because the uterine lining hasn't built back up. .
But when you consider the change of m/c in general is as high as 30%, then 1% more doesn't make much of a difference.

Anyway, I would just ask lots of questions bc things can vary based on your actual pregnancy and d&c procedure. I imagine they would want you to wait until you get the all-clear at your follow-up procedure to make sure you are clear of retained tissue.
December 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
my OB has me in 10 days - 14 days post op for both of my D&Cs, but honestly I think just to check on my mental/emotional state...neither had a physical exam and while some doctors do bloodwork to confirm levels are back to 0, mine only did that for the m/c i had where it completed naturally just to make sure everything left (on the D&Cs, usually i take a hpt a week after the procedure to make sure it's negative). Best guess is your doctor is scheduling it out that far to catch you at the beginning of next AF post D&C (it often takes 5+ weeks for that to happen, although for some it's soon) and just make sure you're doing ok, discuss when you want to TTC again, etc....

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
December 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thx for your feedback. Caved this AM and took an hpt, which was still positive but the test was lighter than the control line. So moving in the right direction. My hcg to start with was a full 9 wk level, so guessing it was pretty high. Would be really nice if the sticks would give a beta # along with the line...wishful thinking!
December 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I went in on Monday, 2 weeks after my d&c.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

February 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM
KayM's Avatar Veteran
2 weeks for me as well.
February 20th, 2013, 06:45 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was 2 weeks for me as well - it was just a check up we chatted for a while and she did a cervical exam. It turned out I had a molar pregnancy so I am still having weekly betas to watch the number fall but I think that is a special case. Did you ask your doc to do a beta? Maybe they would it just isnt what they typically do?

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search