when should progesterone be tested?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MoonAngel702
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By WorkerBeeMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had my 3rd miscarriage and I asked my doc for progesterone supplements. She said to wait ttc for a month and she'd test my levels on cd28. I told the nurse that I ovulate on CD 18-19. From what I read online progesterone is tested 7 days after ovulation. I questioned the date and no one has gotten back to me yet. Is there a reason for testing on cd28? My lp is 11-12 days.

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

January 21st, 2013, 03:00 PM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses

I've always heard they do the progesterone test on CD21 or 7DPO. I haven't heard of them doing it on CD28. I hope your doctor calls you back and lets you know why they want to do CD28. Keep us posted!
*Leah* likes this.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
I haven't heard back from doc yet... we decided to try one more time on our own.

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

January 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i'm very sorry for your losses

Most REs test between DPO5-7 (7 is most common, but i've had mine tested as early as DPO5) for most accurate view of whether ovulation has occurred. How long is your cycle normally? CD28 seems late to me...but my cycles are shorter so for me CD28 i might already be into next cycle
*Leah* likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
January 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is not very accurate of your doctor. Progesterone should be tested at 7 DPO (ideally) sometimes a day or two earlier or later is fine, but 7 dpo is preferred.

My doctor wanted me to come in on CD 21 even though I told her I ovulate late. Did I listen, no! I went in at 6-7 dpo (still unsure). There is no point in me going in on CD 21 when I haven't yet ovulated and wasting $50 for a copay!

My 7 dpo test came back as fine, but the problem with that as well is that I think my progesterone drops off suddenly (pregnant or not) around 11-12 dpo. She hasn't tested me then so she doesn't know for sure (and neither do I) but I think that is what happens with me. I am on progesterone this cycle for the first time so we will see if I get pregnant again if it helps the little one stick.

All I have to say (and this could be the progesterone speaking ) is that sometimes doctors are absolute idiots and don't really think about what they are telling us. Not only that but each of us is so different from the next person and a lot of doctors don't give individualized care or instructions.

My RE puts all women she sees on progesterone suppositories post ovulation, high doses of folate and low dose baby aspirin. She said that this combination seems to help the most women, but even that doesn't always help.

I would say try progesterone - it can't hurt and can only help if that is an issue. If you do end up on them, stay away from oral pills and go for the vaginal suppositories. They have the least side effects from what I have experienced and read.
*Leah* likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
January 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
My cycle averages around 30 days which is 11-12 days past ovulation. She won't let me try progesterone until she checks levels on CD 28 to see if I need it. It just seems late to me

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

January 23rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I agree with the other girls... that is too late. Your levels could be dipping again by then if AF is coming. I'd ask WHY she wants to test you that day. If she wants to see if you are ovulating 7dpo is the correct day. If she wants to test you on CD28 after a pregnancy test, that is a different thing. (even though you may not get a pos by that day if you do get pg). I'd ask WHY she wants to do it that day. If she doesn't give you a good answer. I'd find another Dr.

I currently have a friend whose Dr. wanted her to test on CD21 even though she happened to O late and so was only 2dpo when she tested, they told her she didn't ovulate, even though she felt it and her temp spiked. Sometimes Dr.s lump you into the "Average" category when that isn't the case.

I'd not waste your money or ins on tests that aren't going to give you real answers.

I do agree that progesterone and baby aspirin are a good thing to try when ttc after a m/c.

I'm so sorry for your loss....
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

January 23rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
from what i was told she's checking my progesterone levels on a non pregnant cycle to see if I need supplements for ttc. Why cd28 i cant figure out. I know I'm ovulating by temping and opks but i think a little too late

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search