Testing

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Just keep breathing.
So, just a heads up to anyone who is interested in pre-pregnancy genetic testing- I have recently used 23andme.com for genetic testing on myself. I have had 2 pregnancy losses. I have an HMO. Before going all out with full testing and an RE and everything, my HMO's rule is that I have to have 3 losses. I don't want to wait for a third loss before doing what I can to find out the cause (or rule out potential problems). I'm not advertising for this company- I'm just a regular person, who wants to do everything in my power to protect my health and become a mom. 23andme is only one of several companies out there who do this, so feel free to do your research. I bought a kit online for $99, they sent me a test tube that I spit into, mailed it back, and within 3 weeks had results.

It can tell you if you have one of the two MTHFR gene variations that affect how your body processes folic acid. It can also tell you if you have Factor V Leiden, prothrombin or Factor 2 genetic blood clotting problems. It can also tell you if you are a carrier of the most common genes leading to cystic fibrosis.

There are still many issues that this doesn't test for, but for me it felt amazing to be able to rule some things out.

Unrelated to pregnancy, this testing gives you a LOT of health information. We learned that both my husband and I lack a gene that creates an enzyme that protects your lungs from damage. My husband used to be a smoker, so when we told his doctor about this, she ordered him a chest x-ray to check for damage and can do some things to help him. I also learned I have a higher genetic risk of Alzheimers, so I can do what I can (extra exercise, healthy eating, mental exercise, etc) to prevent that.

It's not for everybody- if you tend to get very anxious over potential health problems, it's not a great idea.

It's the best $99 I ever spent. When I told my OB what I did and how much (little) it cost, she was astounded- the HMO charges tons for these same tests.
February 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info. Since my MTHFR diagnosis, my sister wants to get tested but doesn't have the money for that right now. I bet she could do the $99 though! I did some reading on that site, it does detect one variant of that particular mutation. There are more than one, but it's a start... Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search