Anyone on Lovonox while TTC or will be when they do conceive?

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Crystal Lynn's Avatar Regular
Hi Ladies,

I just thought I'd see if there were any ladies out there needing to take lovonox shots while ttc and/or have a clotting disorder or any other reasons for taking blood thinners...whether it's just during ttc/pregnancy or long term. I never see any posts about this, so I was hoping to bring some of us together for more support through our ttc journey. If this sounds like you, I'd love to hear from you and hear your story. I'm really not sure how many woman are out there in this situation but hopefully I will hear from at least a few of you. I'll start off with my story & hopefully those of you in this situation will find my post and share yours too

I am currently 29 yrs. old, was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolisms when I was 21 yrs old after 1 month of taking bc pills. I was put on life long anticoagulation, and later they found that I have an anti-thrombin III (ATIII) deficiency (which just confirms the need for life long blood thinners). Since my DF & I are nearing 30 (we are 6 months apart) and I have this clotting disorder, we thought we better get the show on the road & start ttc soon in case there were any problems, especially since I will already be high risk. So December 2011 we sold our old house & bought one with 4 bedrooms, so we will have more than enough room for children. After we got settled in the new house, we started ttc in June 2012. 3 months later we found out we were pregnant! We didn't expect it to happen so fast but were thrilled!! October 2012 we had a mc at 9 wks. Because of my ATIII deficiency & needing to be on Lovonox, I had no choice but to have a D&C so I can be closely monitored so I don't bleed to death or form any serious clots in the process. Here I am 4 months later, finally had my first af in February and hoping I am finally on track with my cycles. In the meantime, I have been taking the lovonox twice a day since the beginning of my pregnancy (early September 2012). At this point it is only precautionary while ttc. We are anxious to get pregnant again & really hoping it will happen soon. Not to mention the longer it takes ttc, the longer I will be on the lovonox before I can switch back to Coumadin. I am tired of these shots already, but I know it will be worth it in the end

I really hope to find some ladies in a similar situation who can relate. But if your reading this & do not have any of this, still feel free to post & share whatever story you have. This isn't limited to any specific situation. I'd still be happy to hear from you too!

Thanks,

Crystal

March 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there. I used to post here but now mostly mostly lurk here theses days.

I am on Lovenox from my BFP until 4 weeks post delivery due to Protien c deficiency and MTHfr mutation. It was discovered after my first miscarriage by my Endocrinolgist. My 1st Lovenox baby is 2 and my second is due in June. I get extra monitoring, especially the 3rd Tri. I am also 38, so don't stress about age too much.

Kat
March 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks zkat! That does make me relieved to hear that And congrats!!! I am so happy for you! I definitely think that is one plus side to being high risk, you get extra monitoring & ultrasounds They told me I would be on lovonox from bfp till 6 weeks post delivery. So that is pretty much about the same as you. But after my mc they told me I could just stay on the lovonox while ttc because it is ultimately safer than waiting to switch once I find out. Although I was also told in the first few weeks Coumadin probably wouldn't hurt anything as long as I switch as soon as I find out. But after my mc it made me nervous so I said ok to sticking with the lovonox while ttc. Thank you for reassuring me about the age thing, I have been nervous about that, but it sounds like maybe it isn't a problem after all How have you been feeling? I hope you have had a great pregnancy so far! Do you know what you are having? Boy or girl? Any names picked out? Sorry, 100 questions lol but I'm really happy for you! I do have one more question though, if you don't mind me asking... where are you doing your lovonox shots at? When I was pregnant I started out in my stomach in the spot they usually tell you, but I was starting to get nervous about it. They told me a few other options if I wanted but they sounded painful in those spots. They also said it was fine to continue in my stomach but I still worried about it, especially for when I got bigger. Do you have any recommendations? I'm sorry you had to find out about your protein c deficiency & the MTHfr mutation after mc, I wish they would have found out sooner for you, but I'm glad they figured it out so you can be on the proper treatment now. Thank you again for your response, it really means a lot to me Keep me posted on how you are doing also! Only 3 more months left, it's going to go by so fast!

March 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am currently on lovenox 40 mg once daily. Mine is more for precaution during pregnancy. I am hetero Factor 5 Leiden and hetero MTHFR. I was tested after my second miscarriage and that is when they found out. I went on to have a chemical after that, so 3 miscarriages total. My feeling is that the miscarriages were caused by chromosomal defects and progesterone deficiencies though and had nothing to do with the lovenox. I have two healthy daughters that were born when I was in my twenties.

I take the lovenox starting after a confirmed heartbeat and I take it at night. It is not great fun, but it's not that bad either. I'm a little bummed that I have to be induced, etc but whatever. I am not pregnant to have a great pregnancy but to have a baby, so I just remind myself that and it makes me feel better.

I will have to take the lovenox until 6 weeks postpartum. I could have opted for just baby aspirin (which I take daily when not pregnant) but my hematologist suggested the lovenox and since I am older (which can cause your blood clotting risk to increase) I thought I would rather be full of needle holes than dead or miscarrying.

If you are not seeing a hematologist I would definitely see one. An RE might help as well. Also, baby aspirin on top of lovenox is often recommended for more severe cases of clotting, so that might be something you want to ask your dr about. I was on both for two days and I was bleeding too much so I stopped.

I give myself the shots in my stomach and will continue to do so thru pregnancy unless it becomes too difficult and then I will move on to my fatty thighs

Anyway, it is so nerve wrecking to have special circumstances while pregnant but it seems like lovenox has helped many women become mothers when under normal circumstances it just might never have happened. Oh and I am 9 weeks pregnant today.

I hope you get your rainbow baby soon!!
March 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I am so sorry for your loss And welcome to our group.

I was diagnosed with Factor II and elevated anticardiolipins after my 2nd m/c, and after referral to RE my treatment protocol included taking baby aspirin starting at DPO3 and daily Lovenox injections upon a + hpt. I'm currently pregnant, so taking both the baby aspirin & Lovenox daily....the injections are awful, so I have tons of sympathy if you take them constantly. I'm still taking the injections in tummy but I think I'm going to switch to sides of waist soon (makes me nervous even tho dr said tummy was fine too). Good luck to you - the most important thing with these clotting issues is to be aware & actively treating so it sounds like you're already doing all the right things as you TTC.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Thank you ladies!!! And Congrats to you both!!!!

@WorkerBeeMama - I think that is a great way of looking at things. And your right, without lovonox many of us wouldn't be able to become mothers at all. I am so thankful that they have something that works for us. They don't give me an option to do the baby aspirin only though and they never offered for me to do aspirin with the lovonox either... and it never crossed my mind to do both. I do have a hematologist but not an RE. Which isn't a bad idea to get one though. I have an appt coming up this month with the hematologist so I might inquire about the aspirin just to see if its something they think I would need to do. I'm so sorry to hear that you had 3 miscarriages! I can't imagine going through that 3 times. I'm so sorry! They told me I would have to be induced also, and I wasn't happy about that either. But as long as I can have a baby, that is the most important part. I didn't start Lovonox until I got a positive test before. But since I was already transitioned to the lovonox they said I could just stay on it if I planned to try again right away. I said ok because I was so worried that maybe the coumadin had something to do with what was wrong & why I miscarried. Although I highly doubt it, and they told me that they don't believe it had anything to do with my clotting disorder either since it was still early on. But even though they reassured me, I still just don't feel 100% about that & if there is anything I can do to make it better next time, I want to. Thats why I said ok to the lovonox while ttc. But its so hard to make yourself take these shots 2 times a day (every 12 hrs) when you aren't pregnant. At least when you are, you have a good reason and more motivation. I still do it knowing that it will be worth it though. Now that my cycle is finally on track it seems like there is more reason now than before when nothing was happening at all.

@L-SBB - That is a great idea about taking the Lovonox after O and until a + hpt. That seems a lot better than what I'm doing... every single day. But I've been doing this for 6 months now (including my pregnancy), so I guess at this point it doesn't matter lol. You aren't kidding the injections are aweful! At first I thought, I can do this, its not really that bad. But after you take it every 12 hrs for months, not only does it get old but your body doesn't get to heel in time for the next injection so I am all bruised up & constantly sore. I don't ever make time to put ice on it, and I have a bunch of hematomas all over. I alternate sides like your supposed to. But when you do it that much it doesn't even matter. I started going more to my sides when I was pregnant before, but that hurts even worse...but at some point I'm sure that I'll be doing that again soon. I know WorkerBeeMama mentioned going to her thighs, and I considered that for sure. But I'm hoping I don't have to because I just feel like that is gonna hurt so much. But I guess you do what you gotta do... so we'll see. Do you take lovonox once a day?

So if you haven't noticed, I am so bad about writing too much. So I'll try to make the last part of my message short (if its possible for me). But I wanted to tell you both that I really think there is a chance I could be pregnant right now! I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up yet though. I chart my temps every day but for the last 2 weeks I can't sleep good. I wake up every 1/2 hr to hr and if I'm lucky I make it 2 hrs. Last night was the first night I actually slept pretty good. Anyway, I mention that because I feel like because of that, I can't trust my temps since I don't have 3 hrs of sleep & I wake up all night long. So I can't guarantee when I ovulated. I temp every time I wake up because I never know how my night is going to go..so depending on which temps I used, FF tells me I ovulated on different days. So I can't rely on it. But going by what I have in my chart right now, I should be 12 dpo today. Well that means I should expect af friday, my LP is always 13 days...but I always have a long FP & long cycles overall because of it. But last night I had light brown spotting. Well, not even that, it was A spot and it was so light if I wasn't looking I never would have known. Well I've had a ton of things happening in the last 2 weeks but since I've had so many hormonal things the past 4 months, I don't know what is from that or what could be pms or pg signs. So nothing is reliable for me right now. But today, so many symptoms got 10 times worse. Including about 100 bathroom trips, the ovary pains, cramps & twinges got a lot stronger too. Dizzy spells and this is the weirdest thing Ive ever heard of but for a week my tongue will get sore and I mean so bad I can't eat! And it comes on every day this week at the same time... mid morning lasts all day and goes away in the evening. I've never heard of anything like it before. But at my last dentist appt they told me everything was perfect so I know nothing is wrong with my mouth or teeth or gums. This all started with my gums being sore 2 weeks ago and everything comes and goes. But most recently its the roof of my mouth & tongue. It feels like my tongue is lifting weights lol. It shows up out of no where & goes away the same way. I know it sounds crazy though... but I think its hormone related (pregnancy or not). Also, I have been completely exhausted. It hit me about 2 weeks ago like a ton of bricks. Now I nap every day after work and can't get enough sleep. I've also had a ton of strange things going on that I've only ever felt when I was pregnant before. Plus my bb's hurt but that could even be pms so who knows. But I really think I might be pregnant... I really do keep trying to talk myself out of thinking that though because I don't want to be crushed when its negative. After my "spotting" last night, I still haven't had af show. Bad part is, I don't know for sure if friday is when it should start since my temps aren't reliable. But my temps have been up overall so who knows. I think I'll test this weekend and just see what happens. My lmp was Feb 3rd but like I said, I have long cycles (average is 32-33 days) and my last af was a long one. Well wish me luck please! Strangest part is that everything thats going on is stronger than when i was pregnant before.. except my bb's are not as bad but slowly getting there. So much for keeping it short. I'm such a rambler, sorry. I hope you both keep me posted on how you are doing! I'd love to hear your progress throughout your pregnancies! Its nice to know I'm not so alone with the clotting disorder/lovonox stuff Thank you for finding my post!

March 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm hoping and praying this will be your rainbow baby

I did a shot more in my side last night and it burned so bad! I told DH that I think I punctured my liver or something cause it was really hurting.

I don't bruise or get hematomas at all. Do you guys put the needle in fast or slow?

I go super slow and if a spot seems extra painful to puncture then I move to another spot and try that. Twice I bled and got bruises but I think it was because my blood was thinning and also because it was on the side and in a spot that apparently does that to me.

I find that my stomach looks gross because I have so many bandaid marks from peeling off the top layer of skin with the bandaid I probably don't really need to use them (only occasionally) but I feel cleaner putting one on.
March 7th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Thank you! I hope so too! I was really sad this morning because my temp dropped. But here is what I'm figuring... the tiny spot I had 2 nights ago was late at night, and then it looked like I had a tiny bit in the morning yesterday about 5am. But yesterday's was even lighter & harder to notice but since I was looking for it I could kinda tell it was there. But after that, it was gone for sure & nothing since. So today I did some research to see if its even possible to have a temp dip after spotting. I did find out that it is possible & someone in the same situation ended up with a bfp So my theory is that since it was so late at night/early morning next day it was still within the 24 hr window for the temp dip after. So I think I'm not out yet... as long as my temp goes up tomorrow that is. But my bb's hurt even more today too & everything else is still there (except my tongue stopped hurting, Yay!) so we'll see I guess. It did make me feel better knowing I still have a chance. If it wasn't for my stupid temp confusion and just based on symptoms I would have said I'm 100% sure I am pg. Only because some of my symptoms I've only ever experienced when i was pg before. So here's to hoping

Yeah the shots on the sides REALLY hurt That's why since I'm not pg I've been trying to just do on each side of my belly button. When I get pg again I'm not sure what I will do! I know exactly what you mean about it feeling like you punctured your liver! I felt that way once or twice too. I have bled several times but I never know when it will happen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I don't use bandaids though... I just dab it with a paper towel & hold it there till it stops, usually within a minute or 2. I do go very slow putting the needle in and I also go slow pushing the lovonox in too. If I go fast it burns way too much. But I do bruise, not every time but lately it sure seems like a lot more. I wasn't getting hematomas much in the beginning but now I keep getting them alot. I'm not sure what I can do to fix that because until the hematoma goes away I can't use that spot. So now I have a bunch of them & I'm running out of places. I just started going to my side yesterday also and that was painful like I remembered from before. I haven't tried the thighs, but my hematologist said it has to be the outside of your thighs & not the inside. I have some fat on the inside but not the outside so I can't imagine that feeling too good! They also said the back of your arms but I can't do that myself and DF can't even watch me do it let alone help lol. So thats out of the question. But I can totally relate to the gross looking stomach! Not from bandaids but from the bruises and hematomas. You can't see the hematomas but I can feel them and there is a bruise where each of them are. Ugh I'll have to go more to the sides now for a while and suffer through that because everything else really needs to heal before I can go back to those spots. Yippie Oh and I also do the same thing as far as if a spot hurts too much I move to another spot lol. Some spots are tougher than others and just hurt alot worse than others. Sometimes the shot goes in no problem, other times it seems very hard & painful.

March 7th, 2013, 03:29 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I give my shots in my belly, mostly just below my navel. I am almost 25 weeks now and still have plenty of cushion. When my belly started getting really tight near the end last time, I switched to my muffin top

I have felt pretty good this pregnancy, other than being tired - a lot. I think that is more to do with my thyroid meds than anything else. Since we got my dose right about a month ago, I have felt better. This is my second boy and his name is Bodhi Lander (Bodhi because it goes well with Bourne, my 1st and it is the only boy name we agree on) and Lander is my grandmother's maiden name.
March 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I never thought to give my shots there, that is a good idea. I always go on either side of my navel but never below it. Late 2nd tri & all of 3rd tri is what I'm really worried about, when it gets tighter like you said. I figured I would have to go more on my sides when that time comes. So I guess I had the right idea then

I'm glad to hear you have had a pretty good pregnancy so far I'm sure the combination of pregnancy hormones mixed with the wrong dose of thyroid meds would definitely make you exhausted! I can't even imagine! Those are the cutest names! I've never heard of either of them before. I always like names that are more unique and less common. I think you both did a great job picking them out! I also like the additional final touch of using a family name in there too. I know when we get to the point of picking names, it will not go well. We don't agree on anything when it comes to names. He likes typical traditional names and I like unique names. The only thing we could possibly agree on is trying to incorporate a family name in there too since we both like that idea. I know when that day comes it will be interesting lol.

March 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
A quick update on me, if any of you are interested in hearing...

Today is the day... AF is supposed to be here today according to FF. So far, nothing! Yay! But the day isn't over yet so who knows. But today has been interesting for me lol. I had a fun day at work trying to contain my emotions, because I kept tearing up on and off ALL day so far. Literally, tears pooring out for no reason at all. Also this happened last night. I watched a funny movie and nearly cried through the whole thing.. even while laughing lol. Also, all day today I have felt nauseous on & off. To the point of running to the bathroom several times. So far both things are still happening. So, I really have my fx that this ends up with a bfp I'll keep you posted. I know all of you are currently pregnant, so I know you are all way past the ttc stage lol. So I just want to let you know, if you don't want to hear about my ttc stuff, just let me know. Its really ok if you don't want to hear about it since I know you are all on to the next stage. But just let me know because I don't want to bother you will all of my ttc stuff unless you do want to know about it. Just putting that out there so you dont have to feel bad if so. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted on what happens I really hope I can join all of you soon on the prego side of things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search