Arrgh, what is going on?!

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Someone please help me figure out what the heck is going on with my body!!!

I miscarried 2 weeks ago. I've still had some light spotting, all old at this point. We decided we wanted to TTC right away again, so I bought a huge pack of OPKs and HPTs online.

Wednesday I did an HPT and OPK. I've never used OPKs like this before (always just the Clear Blue monitor), so went ahead and did one and it was negative as I suspected. I thought for certain the HPT would be nice and negative...so was very discouraged when it was actually a nice looking positive. I didn't expect that. I thought for sure it would be a few more weeks until I ovulated.

Yesterday I wasn't going to test. Figured I'd wait a few days before testing again. Last night when I went to the bathroom I noticed I had some CM that is like mine usually is when it is ramping up for ovulation. I decided to go ahead and test-both kinds-and see what happened. The HPT is a little lighter and the OPK is a littler darker, but I don't think it's quite in the positive range.

Is it possible that I'm going to ovulate and have a chance to get pregnant even though I have enough hcg in me to get a positive pregnancy test? I'm just really confused about what my body is doing!

Here are the tests from the last 2 days. Top set is OPK, bottom is HPT. In each set the top is Wednesday's and bottom is Thursday's. I'll test again later today.

2 angel babies 2/2013 and 8/2013

March 8th, 2013, 06:37 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you are going through a confusing time

Did your doctor test to make sure your HCG levels were back to 0 after the miscarriage? My doctor did not want us to try again until the levels were back at zero. She said it is possible to ovulate before your HCG is at zero but not terribly common but she also said that we would not want to get pregnant before the HCG was at zero as it can increase the chance of another miscarriage. I would consult the doctor on this one since every case is unique.

Good luck!! I hope you get some answers and your sticky BFP soon!!!!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

March 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you are going through this. After my first loss at 5 wks, my levels took 14 days to get to 0. I *think* the farther along you were, the longer it takes for the levels to return to normal. Maybe for peace of mind, ask you doc to check your levels.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
March 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My OPK today is definitely positive.

I put a call in to my OB's office and am waiting for a call back. I'm going to ask for them to do a draw and see what my levels are.

They never tested after the m/c. I had an ultrasound that showed all the tissue had passed, but now I'm wondering if they missed something.

ETA: Here's the lineup of tests from the last 3 days, today's is on the bottom of both sets

Last edited by AviatrixMorgan; March 8th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
March 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had 2 m/cs, with a d&c both times. The second time, it took about 5 weeks for my hcg to drop all the way to 0. It actually dropped a lot in the first 2 weeks, but then took FOREVER to go from 20 to 0. Positive hpts the whole time. At about 6 weeks I got my first post-d&c AF. Then we started ttc again after that. But since AF came very soon after my hcg dropped, I probably DID ovulate while I still had some hcg left in my system... although it was very low at that point (like, 8... it lingered between 8 and 13 for a week or so).
March 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Almost exactly 2 weeks after my m/c I had OPks and HPTs that looked just like that - we ended up not being able to try because my HCG was not zero yet but I was still temping and I didn't end up Oing until a week later. I think when the HCG level isnt zero it really messes with the OPKs. Hopefully your doctor will help you find some answers!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

March 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey hun. I'm super sorry you are still having to deal with this we miss you over in the Oct ddc.

Ok so here is my experience after my loss. I researched the crap out of this topic because I was just as confused about my levels after my loss. At 17 weeks I was still getting a + 5 weeks pp. I got my blood drawn and I went from an 8 then up to a 9 two days later they thought that maybe there was still some tissue in there that they would need to get out. But before I could get the u/s I got my period, thankfully.

I'm *positive* I ovulated 2 weeks prior to getting my period which means my level still could have been in the hundreds at that point.

So yes, you very much can ovulated while still have hcg in your system. But from what I've read I haven't found it to give you any more risk to miscarry if you happen to get pregnant. Think of trigger shots for those getting IUI's. Basically the same thing. I think the worry is mostly with the other hormones-- progesterone, estrogen. Not to mention overall healing of the uterus. And then just depending how far along you were if there was still some tissue in there

Those tests are still looking pretty dark for 2? weeks later and not being as far along as I was at 17 weeks. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a blood draw to see what is going on. But hey, if you are ovulating that means that AF probably isn't far behind and you will soon have a clean slate to start TTC again Hope you get some answers soon!
March 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermother View Post
Hey hun. I'm super sorry you are still having to deal with this we miss you over in the Oct ddc.

Ok so here is my experience after my loss. I researched the crap out of this topic because I was just as confused about my levels after my loss. At 17 weeks I was still getting a + 5 weeks pp. I got my blood drawn and I went from an 8 then up to a 9 two days later they thought that maybe there was still some tissue in there that they would need to get out. But before I could get the u/s I got my period, thankfully.

I'm *positive* I ovulated 2 weeks prior to getting my period which means my level still could have been in the hundreds at that point.

So yes, you very much can ovulated while still have hcg in your system. But from what I've read I haven't found it to give you any more risk to miscarry if you happen to get pregnant. Think of trigger shots for those getting IUI's. Basically the same thing. I think the worry is mostly with the other hormones-- progesterone, estrogen. Not to mention overall healing of the uterus. And then just depending how far along you were if there was still some tissue in there

Those tests are still looking pretty dark for 2? weeks later and not being as far along as I was at 17 weeks. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a blood draw to see what is going on. But hey, if you are ovulating that means that AF probably isn't far behind and you will soon have a clean slate to start TTC again Hope you get some answers soon!
I was thinking they look a bit dark too. It's been 2 weeks since the m/c. I thought since they are a new pack maybe there is a lot of dye or super sensitive so I used a FRER, and it's really dark also.

My OB office called and said to give it 2-3 more weeks. They never did a blood draw to begin with and won't now to check. I'm upset they won't do one now. I know I should just step away from the tests and not think about it, but that is easier said than done!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search