Dumb question

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I know that you ovulate and the sperm fertilizes. On the other hand...I have not ovulated yet since my m/c and I am wondering have I not or am I not going to? Does that make sense.? I dtd with my husband as my bleeding completely stopped and of course I was wondering could I have ovulated that quickly and fertilized that quickly without knowing it? Or doubtful?
April 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I know that sounded like a really dumb question because I figured it was not possible but wanted to know for sure.
April 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is not a dumb question.
I would say it's probably possible that you've already ovulated, but I would doubt that you had.
Many women have delayed ovulation or don't ovulate until their next cycle after a miscarriage. That said, some women do ovulate at their normal time, and I'm sure someone out there has had early ovulation following a miscarriage.
April 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Yea I have a negative on a test so that shows my levels definitely went down, but I picked up ovulation tests not only to know in case it happens while he is still around. I also did it make sure I know an approximation of when I may start my cycle again. I am guessing if I do not ovulate before that would not be possible. I just did not know if I had a possibility of ovulating and not knowing about it.
April 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like we're about at the same place. I'm waiting to see if I'm ovulating or not for sure. I was using opk's but I realized this morning I had been using them in the morning. Which I knew better than to do that, but I was having one of my airhead moments. I've been feeling like a dork all day. So I don't know what my nearly positive opk from today is telling me. I took it in the afternoon this time. I have been taking temps since last September or October though so I should know here in a few days what's up.

I would say that it isn't possible too, but stranger things have happened. I hope it all works out the way you want it too!
April 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
I can tell you what my Dr. told me when I asked him about ttc/getting my first AF etc. He said that it's impossible to say when I will get my first AF, but that two weeks before that approximately I would probably ovulate and if I wanted to get pregnant, I could dtd unprotected as of now to increase my chances. I don't always notice ovulations signs and have not started using OPK's so I'm technically going into my situation blindfolded.

To answer your question, yes it is completely possible that you have ovulated already or it may take longer. The whole ovulation/first AF scenario after a miscarriage or D&C has no concrete answers. Everybody's body is different, so it's hard to say. Believe me, I so wish there were concrete answers!!!
April 20th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Well I know that I was not testing when I was bleeding and I was taking them in the morning. What is wrong with taking them in the morning!? LOL! I did not know there was a set time to take them, but since I remember first thing in the am that is when I was taking them. I have had a line a couple of times but not close to the test line darkness or darker.

I did not know if it was possible to ovulate and not test positive on the ovulation prediction tests. I guess only time will tell and shortly I can explain the entire situation in better depth.
April 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Found this on a site..

Q: What is the best time of day to take the ovulation test?

Unlike the pregnancy test kit, morning (first morning urine) is not the best time to collect samples for ovulation tests, as LH is synthesized in your body in the morning and will not appear in your urine until the afternoon. The ideal time to collect a urine sample is in the afternoon, though testing may safely take place from 10am to early evening.

Q: Should I take the test the same time every day?

Yes: To optimize accuracy of results, test at the same time each day. Reduce your liquid intake around 2 hours before testing as a diluted liquid sample can hinder detection of the lh surge.

This is the site if you want to read more about it...
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/fertile.html
April 20th, 2013, 09:00 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to say that my ovulation sticks are darker later in the day. I do mine after work each day.

The only way to really really know you ovulated is to temp. But most women don't need to, and it can be a pain!

Good luck honey!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
April 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
See I have had a wave of exhaustion. Not sure if it is from my cycle coming soon or what. I had to take a nap today. And the pregnancy I just m/c from I had the exhaustion literally right off the bat.

I also guess that could mean I have ovulated and not know about it cause I was taking the tests in the morning. Oops.
April 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ovulated 25 days after my D&C and then AF showed up 15 days later - I am not sure if that helps at all but it is possible to ovulate before your first period after a miscarriage.

Sorry I may have misunderstood the question.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

April 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Well I have done the ovulation tests, however I was doing them in the morning. I have had lines but none that were darker or AS dark as the test line. As for the rest I have been exceptionally tired again lately. To the point of taking a nap in the afternoon (when my kids will allow me) and then going to bed somewhat early (like 9 or 10--which is early for me). I am used to being up at 6 am with them, going to bed at like 2 or 3 am and having no nap, but for some reason I have been exceptionally tired. In fact, I am heading to go take a nap now. Either way I took ovulation tests and nothing was ever shown that I had ovulated so the reason I asked about this was wondering how possible it was that I could have gotten pregnant or highly unlikely?

Like my body had JUST ovulated and then fertilized immediately (real good timing) would I have NEVER received a positive on an OPK)?
April 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Some people dont ever catch a positive OPK - a friend on another board has to take OPKs several times a day to catch her short surge so maybe you just missed it? It is very possible to ovulate and not see a positive OPK.

I am not sure about the fertilized immediately question I am not positive I understand. When you ovulate the egg hangs around about 24 hours (different for everyone) until it can be fertilized. A positive OPK usually indicates that you will ovulate in the next 24 hours. I am not sure if that helps at all!

April 22nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
I do not want to confuse anyone or seem a nag. Should I stop taking ovulation tests. I began to take them at first in hopes I would ovulate before my husband left and maybe try this again. Then I realized that since I had very few days and that the possibility was slim I decided to use them to just detect it so I knew an approximation of when I would start my first cycle (if that was even possible). Now I am thinking it is just dumb to use them. I do not know if I have pregnancy symptoms cause I want to be or if something worked without really knowing it (if that makes sense).

Then I looked up if I was pregnant if I was able to get a positive (or faint line) on an OPK and it said that yes you can cause it detects the hormone for pregnancy AND ovulation. Who knows. Guess only time will tell. Wait it out.
April 23rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
TTC is so confusing to begin with and after a miscarriage I feel like everything is even more confusing. Don't worry about confusing us or being a nag at all! We just want to understand so we can try and help you out as best possible.

I am so sorry for your loss and all the stress you are feeling right now. Hopefully your body will give you some clear signs soon.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have just been really tired and no explanation outside of allergies. I did not feel it possible to have it happen that quickly although I am sure it has happened. I can only wait it out and see.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmommyoftwobeauties View Post
I did not feel it possible to have it happen that quickly although I am sure it has happened. I can only wait it out and see.

Ok, just to clarify...what are you sure has happened....ovulation or pregnancy?
April 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
I am saying I am sure that some have gotten pregnant this early on so it is possible, but I figure that I am just tired and run down from the actual fact of allergies raging through my system.
April 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmommyoftwobeauties View Post
I am saying I am sure that some have gotten pregnant this early on so it is possible, but I figure that I am just tired and run down from the actual fact of allergies raging through my system.
Oh ok, I understand! I'm sorry you are having such a rough time and that you are not feeling well besides that. Your loss is still very recent and I'm sure still very raw and I'm also sorry about that I know how I felt after my loss last month. It was the hardest time of my life. I didn't know I could feel that many emotions that many times a day. It took me weeks to come to terms with it and then another few weeks to debate the ttc in the future issue. Please take it easy, let your body and mind heal, so that when the time is right to ttc again, you will be physically and emotionally ready for it again!!! Sending you lots of hugs and positive thoughts!!!
April 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry you are feeling this way. It is all very confusing. Taking the tests still is not dumb if you aren't sure when/if you have O'd yet. It is possible that you got pregnant that quickly, you are very fertile after a loss. For me, I O'd 2 weeks after my D&E and AF came 2 weeks later. For some that doesn't happen, but had I DTD then, I could have gotten pregnant just like at any other fertile time.

The OPK detects the HCG as well, because the antibody that is used on the stick to detect LH detects anything chemically similar. HCG has a similar binding site, so yes, it could pick up a pregnancy as well.

I hope you feel better and you get answers soon!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search