opk's

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
Can someone answer a question for me? If I tested on an OPK for ovulation and the line is getting darker as the days go on does that mean I am coming up on my ovulation point or does it mean something else. I am confused with those tests. I know that if you are in a pinch you can take those for pregnancy and get a positive if you are pregnant but did not know how they worked otherwise. I read the information in the packet where it says that the line has to be AS dark or darker then the control line. If the line goes from faint one day to a little darker the next day and so on am I going to ovulate soon?
April 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Yes, the line has to be as dark or darker than the control line. When it looks like that, you will probably ovulate within the next 24 to 48 hours. I am also curious about a faint line since I just took one myself and I can see a faint line, but it is nowhere near as dark as the control line. Unfortunately I only have one more so I can't afford to take one every day for the next few days.
April 24th, 2013, 01:19 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Sugarmomma - it has to be as dark or darker.

If they are still getting darker I would think you are still coming up on ovulation. I usually consider my darkest one to be the one before ovulation.

You can use an OPK as an HPT in a pinch but it can create way more confusion than answers so I really wouldnt suggest it.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

April 24th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I just knew the line was getting darker and wanted to understand them. How long does it generally take the line to get darker. I am sure no set time but wanted to at least ask.
April 24th, 2013, 01:25 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Exactly how dark is your line now? As dark or darker than the control line? Or just getting close to it?
April 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It is not as dark yet. It is not faint and not dark. Dark enough to actually see it without straining to see it.
April 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LH is the hormone opk's test for. Your level of LH will keep getting higher until it triggers ovulation. The levels may go up and down a bit before you actually ovulate. Like for me, I've gotten some darker ones that weren't quite positive yet, and I still haven't ovulated yet. So they are lighter right now. Some people never get LH surges before they ovulate, and others do. It just kind of depends. I usually don't get these surges, but i still haven't gotten my first cycle since my miscarriage so things are still a bit off for me. So theoretically the opk's should go from light, gradually get darker until ovulation, and then go lighter again. Everyone is different though.
OPK's can be confusing until you get used to them, and figure out what is normal for you. Hope this helps.
April 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Yes I am quite a bit confused on these.
April 24th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Okay so let me ask this so I am less confused (although I am sure I will still be confused). If I have a dark line (obviously meaning ovulating) say Sat. and I dtd and I find that I am pregnant. Then what would be the date or information used for medical purposes. I have not had my normal cycle yet so I cannot go off of that. I read somewhere that your bleeding from your miscarriage can suffice as a last cycle if you have not had a normal way by that point, but that totally makes no sense to me. Anyone know what I would go off of. So lets say I got pregnant the 27th or 28th. What would a due date be or would that have to be determined by an u/s?
April 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Here on JM the Due Date Calculator can calculate your EDD using either the first day of your last period or your conception date. You'll note it says, "enter the date of your last menstrual period or your conception date". Then at the bottom instead of clicking on 'calculate from menstrual period' you'd click on 'calculate from conception'. Hope that helps!
April 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Okay so since I had been taking them in the morning I took one this morning and I took one yesterday morning and I took one in the evening yesterday as well. I read somewhere that sometimes ones surge is very short so it is best to test two times a day. Either way in the morning (both days) the line is there and not dark but not light, and then on the one I did in the evening it was barely there. I am confused. Does that sound normal for them to be dark in the am and not in the pm. Both days? So sorry I am full of questions. This is the first I have done this and it is strange. So thought I would ask.
April 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
As far as I understand, you should be taking them in the afternoon. I would try that for a few days and see what happens.
April 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Yea I have taken them in the afternoons, but from what I read some people do not get their surge for long so there is recommendations to do them twice a day. So that is what I have done. I am not sure why it is there in the am and nothing really in the evening time. Both days. I just figured maybe someone else had gone through this and would know.
April 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
It may be lighter later because your urine is more diluted than it is in the morning. It's recomended not to drink for a few hours before testing. That's the only thing I can think of..
April 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
That might be possible. Well I can check this evening and see if it is any darker but not drink anything prior to it. Does it mean not drink anything or just not a ton? LOL! I am so new to these tests that I feel I am getting more confused by the day. Soon I can mention the method behind my madness.
April 25th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I get that. It can be very confusing. It was at first to me too. It just says to limit drinking on instructions I've read. However, I usually don't drink anything. It's up to you.
April 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Yea I drink throughout the day but I do not drink in excessively. Sometimes I do. Like when my allergies act up and when I am pregnant I drink liters of water a day. I was just confused. I hope I have some clarity soon. My husband is not here right now so had it been a surge it would really make no difference at this point.
April 26th, 2013, 03:40 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
I completely understand...OPK's are a tricky thing! When is your husband coming back?
April 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some people do have a short surge and need to test AM and PM so I know where you are coming from on that - one of the ladies on another board will miss her surge if she doesn't test multiple times a day but that is not the case for everyone.

I think to keep things simple the first few months I would try taking the OPK just in the afternoon after trying not to drink too much for the few hours before. OPKs are so confusing as it is.

Hope you get a nice dark line soon!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search