OPK for dummies

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By Empty arms

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Rainbow Catcher's Avatar Bound and Determined
Ok ladies. I see everyone talk about them like second natureand I haven't a clue. Please break it down for me. I have enough to pee on OPKs all cycle. Tell me what I'm supposed to do and when I'm supposed to do it!! I see things about different times of day and all of that... I really am clueless.

If it helps, my cycle is completely all over the place. I've had one as short as 14 days (but that's rare and only when I'm crazy stressed) and one as long as 46 days... so I really don't know when to start!! AF left town.

Help!!!
July 16th, 2013, 06:38 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
If your cycle is weird like that I would start taking the OPKs on CD 8. You may get light lines in the test line from the start. Those are not positive. The test line and control line have to be the same color or the test line darker to indicate positive results. Good luck this cycle! I will find my OPK progression and post it soon for a visual.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
On CD 9, start using OPKs in the afternoon (like, one ish?).

When you see a line start to appear, then start taking twice a day (let's say, eleven and five?)

Keep your OPKs! It is easier to read positive if you have them all lined up to compare.

When you think you get a positive, keep testing for a day or two afterwards.

I like to keep mine lined up on a paper.... That way I can see the progression from negative to positive, back to negative.

I'm sure other ladies will have more to add but I'm pretty sure those are the basics!
July 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
AnnaBonana likes this.

July 16th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could help, as always when I see a plea about charts and OPKs. I don't do them on a regular basis. I only have ever done three. One, because I accidentally bought it thinking it was an hpt. And I bought two just for fun!

Hope they help you and I'm sure you'll get some great advice here!
July 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Just keep breathing.
Sorry if this is way too basic. OPKs measure luteinizing hormone (LH). It's a hormone that your body releases to trigger ovulation, the actual release of the egg from the ovary.

LH is almost always present in your body in small amounts. So, at any given time during the month, you'll use an OPK and get some kind of light test line. It's not like a pregnancy test, where any kind of test line means its positive.

Typically the LH surge happens in your body overnight, but doesn't show up in your urine until 5-6 hours later. This is why you shouldn't use first morning urine for your OPK (because it's not going to show positive most accurately until you've been out of bed for awhile). The ideal times to use the OPKs are between 10am-3pm.

Like the others mentioned, start using OPKs about CD 9 or 10. I use Wondfos- I catch urine in a dixie cup, dip it and hold it in for 3 or 5 seconds (whatever the package says), then wait 5 minutes to read it. Again, there will almost always be some kind of line. Sure beats trying to pee right on it.

When it is positive, the test line will be as dark or darker than the control line. As you test over the course of several days, you'll probably see it getting darker, and there will be many infuriating days when you'll be like, "Wait, is it positive? It's ALMOST as dark as the control- but I can't quite tell..." THis is normal When you get to these days, test twice a day. I do 11am and 3pm. I'm far from an expert, but the 3 or so cycles I've used the OPKs, it's been very clear when it truly is positive. It's like, oh, wow, that's DEFINITELY positive.

As you probably know, once you get a clear positive, that means you'll ovulate in the next 12-48 hours. It's maddeningly imprecise. Ovulation is the release of the egg from the ovary- once that happens, there's about 24 hours from the time the egg is released, while its travelling through your reproductive system, to the time it starts to degenerate (if not fertilized.) So, once you get that +opk, you may have anywhere from 12-48 hours waiting for the egg to release, and then after that 24 more hours while it travels, when you could get pg. All in all, 2-3 days when catching that egg is most likely. If you're dtd every other day during this time, odds are really good that you'll have sperm waiting while the egg passes by, or coming right at it as its travelling through your system. (sorry graphic).

Girl, you got this! Start peeing! Post pics if you can't tell what's what
July 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I second the motion that you post pics of your pee sticks! LOL.

We can analyze them for you!

Good luck!
geogeek likes this.
July 17th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Veteran
Geogeek how did u add that picture? Or anyone?
Sorry to bother!
July 17th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I upload it to photobucket.com and there is a bbcode to copy and paste in here.
Empty arms likes this.

July 17th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Veteran
Hey, finally got it!

This is my OPK tests for this month. It has the CD, period of the day, day of the week, and the actual day written next to each one. My BD is recorded in an app in my cell phone, but I don't care for that much, just because I know I've done it all the days I needed!
momology likes this.

Last edited by Empty arms; July 17th, 2013 at 05:54 AM.
July 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The other ladies!! They pretty much covered everything plus pictures!!!!

Ask any questions as you go I would also start on CD 8 with wonky cycle lengths like that.

Fx for you!!!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

July 17th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Janisdkh's Avatar Mommy of soon to be 5!
Send a message via MSN to Janisdkh
I am so going to do this when we start!!! Thanks guys <3 I was a little lost as to how to start and you ladies helped me.

I am 30-35 day cycle(always) and do you think it is good to start at cycle day 9 through 20-25 because of my long cycle?

Last edited by Janisdkh; July 17th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
July 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janisdkh View Post
I am so going to do this when we start!!! Thanks guys <3 I was a little lost as to how to start and you ladies helped me.

I am 30-35 day cycle(always) and do you think it is good to start at cycle day 9 through 20-25 because of my long cycle?
If you always have a longer cycle, then you can start taking them a little bit later. CD 9 start is good for a CD14 ovulation. I would start about 5 days before you expect to ovulate, maybe when you start to get EWCM. Good luck.

July 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Janis - Rachel - my cycle is usually about 35 so I start testing around CD 14. So for you maybe CD 10 or 11? Depends on how long your LP is. . .

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

July 17th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Janisdkh's Avatar Mommy of soon to be 5!
Send a message via MSN to Janisdkh
Ok so if it is a 5 day window which I ovulate on cycle day 18-19 I think I will start testing on cd 13-14.. Thanks!

Btw I normally hit the 32 day cycle range more so then other months so I put my ticker as such. I just have no idea about my LP.. I put the average womans :/

July 17th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Rainbow Catcher's Avatar Bound and Determined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty arms View Post
Hey, finally got it!

So if I'm looking at it correctly.. you ovulated at CD16?

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your help! I POAOPKS today (haha new acronym?).. will do it every afternoon for now.. but it has a line (though not a positive, was lighter, but still very much there) and Im' only at CD 7... gonna learn bout myself for sure!!
July 18th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Veteran
Wonbdini, since we ovulate not at the surge of LH but when it drops, I consider I ovulated at CD18. You can see how the first marked as 18 (in the morning) is really dark, them the second one (at night) doesn't have a line anymore... So I ovulated during the day! It always took several days for my lh to rise!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search