Here's an OT for ya

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 4 Post By Empty arms
  • 2 Post By geogeek
  • 2 Post By Redneck_Mommy
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By momology
  • 1 Post By momology
  • 1 Post By Empty arms

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our family is hosting an exchange student for a year. She is arriving one week from today, from Fhr Germany. We are all very excited about her arrival. I do have some questions and concerns though. I'm not very confident in our coordinator, so I'm asking y'all.

Is anyone in here from Germany? If so, what do you think I need to know?

How do I get her to understand the HOT HOT HOT that she's about to endure? Where she's from, it's still in the upper 50's. It only gets into the 80's there and people are just melting. She starts band camp 3 days after her arrival and that's really extreme.. ie: no shade, 12 hours a day M-F all of August, marching and playing her instrument... Side note, her parents were asking about how heavy of a coat she will need when she arrives, and what winter boots she should bring. I'm really concerned that this child is going to have heat issues.

We live miles and miles from anywhere. There isn't any walking to your friends house, or riding your bike to the store. How can I help her adjust to that? FYI, she's 15.

Has anyone here ever hosted/or been an exchange student? Any words of wisdom?
July 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
My husband is from Albania and went from the capital of his country to the tiniest po-dunk town in Idaho his senior year of high school.Since you are in SE Texas, will she even need winter clothes? I think you need to reinforce the heat issue. You might want to give her a gift of a neck cooler and water bottle for band camp. It would really start things off on a nice personal level. The family that DH was placed with are still some of our best friends. They had lots of games on hand for boredom in a small town. Good luck! I am sure that it will be a wonderful experience.
Redneck_Mommy likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Just keep breathing.
I second the water bottle. And maybe a visor or other kind of sun hat? Can you wear that in band camp?
July 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Veteran
I have loooots of words of wisdom for you!!!
I was a 15y/o exchange student in the US! I'm not from germany, but I've been there loots of time (seriously about 15).
First thing: it does get pretty hot there (in Germany) in the summer! Believe me! Just tell her how hot it is, I don't think she'll have any problems adapting to it. And after all, we (old people) suffer a lot more in the hot days than teenagers!
2nd thing: tell her ahead of time you live far from anything. (I used to as well). Then let her know you are willing to drive her places. And coming up with stuff to do on saturday afternoon or sunday is always very good, even if it's just the supermarket!
3rd thing: just to be sure she's adjusting well in school, let her know that you're ok with her bringing friends over.
4th thing: most german people I know don't talk much and are very closed. But I guess that's not a rule!

My year as an exchange student was the best possible. I got a new mom and dad. They were all about me, always taking me out, worried that I had plenty of yummy treats in the drawers... My mom even took me clothe shopping... It's been 15 years, but they came to Brasil when I got married and when I graduated from college... I visit them every year (heck I even bought a house next to them!!!)... I love them so much! Actually when I got married I had them walk down the aisle between my parents and my husband's. That's how important they are to me.

Good luck!!!!!

Last edited by Empty arms; July 19th, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
July 19th, 2013, 07:46 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Yeah, DH's host parents were instrumental in our wedding as well. With our religion, my parents were half way across the world and couldn't be there and DH's parents didn't actually go to the ceremony so the only "parents" we had there were the host parents. It truly can turn into a second family.
Redneck_Mommy and Empty arms like this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 19th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Rachel, those are great gift ideas! Thanks! We have a closet full of games, and every iThingy available so I hope that's good. We also live on a farm, so there's lots to do, just not the same things as in town. Not that town has much either. I'm glad to hear your DH still keeps up with his host family. I'm looking forward to a lasting relationship with our borrowed daughter.
Mel, yes, I'll add a visor to the basket! Awesome! Thank you! Yes, they don't have any restrictions on clothing at camp... as long as you have something on. Oh, must wear tennis shoes, no flip flops. Mostly the girls wear spankies and tank tops/crop tops.
July 19th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Marina, thanks for the advice. Yes, teenagers do adapt to things, that's true. I personally love the heat and I'm cold when it gets below 80 lol. She told us that the record high for her town is 86F. I think it was 103 here when she told us that. That was just about the same time I had a stroke...worrying about her.
Wow, that's really great that such a strong relationship can be made. I'm looking so forward to this adventure. My oldest daughter is ecstatic. She's like a mommy nesting, getting her room ready, bed made, furniture perfect, etc..
geogeek and Empty arms like this.
July 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have a pool or live near a public one? Great place to meet people and hang out. First present, a funky cowgirl hat that keeps the sun off her eyes. It's hard for us "old folks" to know what the fashions are, so find out who she befriends at band camp and have them tag along for a little shopping trip so she can pick out trendy clothes that won't make her feel alienated from her peers.

Maybe host a BBQ for the band camp kids at the house in a week or two?

Those are my first thoughts - try to make sure she feels accepted and has friends.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
July 19th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Leia, swimming is a great idea! We are about 20 mins from the nearest pool, but with a competing daughter, we are at a pool at least every 24 hours. I think my 15 year old daughter, and she, have been scheming about which clothes to bring, to fit the trends here. Lol. They Skype a LOT! Have you been talking to my daughter? Lol. She suggested a BBQ too! I'll have to do a little smaller event than the whole band though... There are 250 kids in the band. That's a lot of BBQ! Lol. We were thinking about having something at the park in town. It's hard to get people to come all the way out here. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Redneck_Mommy; July 19th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
July 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that is really exciting!!!! I dont have any advice for you - but I think I remember you kinda live near me? (but I could be crazy) maybe a day trip to the city one weekend? We had a family friend visit from germany and we took him downtown, to Herman Park, and to the Menil (free art museum) and he LOVED it all but he was about 18.

That sounds like it will be an amazing experience!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

July 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Yes ma'am, I do live near Houston... About 40-45 minutes south of the loop. Great idea! I volunteer at the zoo, and worked there for 9 years, so I have all kinds of connections to some amazing stuff there. And, we just got a membership to HMNS, so that's fun! I have lived here all my life and had no idea there was a free art museum... thanks for the heads up. We will for sure be looking into THAT! I, my oldest daughter, and our exchange daughter are all artists of our own kind. I do charcoal animals (and children's books) , my oldest does pencil and colored pencil scenes, and exchange daughter does pencil/pen anime.
July 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay glad I am not completely crazy Sounds like you have a lot of fun things lined up she will have an amazing time!!

You should stress how hot it is here though No jacket or boots required. . . at all. . .

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

July 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran
I think you got it all covered, and this girls is gonna have a wonderful time!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search