To board or not to board

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran
Hi Ladies:

So, not a TTC topic at all, but if anyone has opinions/experience, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We are considering boarding our cat, Marty, at the vet for the Christmas holiday while we're away. We have lucked out in years past with having a friend or neighbor take care of him while we're out of town, but this year we've moved and our key situation is a bit complicated (we can't make copies b/c we're currently subletting and the apartment owner lost the ID card to make more copies of our keys). When we were on vacation last month, I went a little crazy figuring out a schedule between three sets of friends and they had to pass our two sets of keys between them.

I just called our vet and it is very reasonable to board him there, but I'm just not sure how he'll be. Like most cats, he hates leaving his surroundings. Although he's a somewhat high maintenance cat, he's pretty agreeable and doesn't hold grudges.

Has anyone had experiences boarding their pets? Just don't want to traumatize my little guy. Sometimes he's the only thing that can turn my mood around.
November 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Just keep breathing.
I've boarded my dog, but wouldn't consider boarding my cat unless I had no other options. (He's old and mean and gets unusually stressed leaving the house). I'd hire a pet sitter first.

You have 2 sets of keys? then you could keep one, then give the other to the pet sitter and not have to worry about coordinating with friends. The vet might have recommendations or business cards for pet sitters/dog walkers (who often do cat house visits, too)
November 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Rainbow Catcher's Avatar Bound and Determined
There are great businesses that do cat house visits like Mel said.. may be an option. Cats are easy - check in every couple days/clean litter/change water/feed.. much easier than dogs. I hope you can find someone - look for a local biz... if not, im sure your vet will do a fine job!
November 20th, 2013, 05:18 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I know personally my dogs do not do well away from us. We rescued our Lab and she has separation anxiety. But I have heard good things about them Good luck with whatever you decide!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

November 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran
I work at a dog boarding kennel and never had an issue leaving my two bailey does stress a bit but is fine opal lived 4 years there and never had an issue but honestly do what you feel the most comfertable doing. I have seen boarding go good and bad and how it goes come down to the animals personality.

Little One never forgotten 10/17/2013

Sarah & Michael
Hoping for a little miracle

Last edited by BaileysFourtune; November 20th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
November 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think our cat would do very well being boarded. He loves being home and when we had to go out of town for a week we took him to a friends house (because he cant drive) and he did alright. . . but he does much better at home. I think it made him a little anxious and he bit me when we got back which is unusual. I think the suggestion to look for a service to come by could work out well!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

November 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I used to have a golden retriever and he loved going to the kennel. He played with all the other dogs and had a fantastic time. My parents have also always had golden retrievers and have boarded them with no problems. I currently have a Mountain Feist, and while I've never had to board him yet, I would. I don't think he would like it much, but he would survive.
November 20th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran
Thanks for all the information ladies. I don't know how expensive it is for pet sitters in other parts of the country, but here in NYC I couldn't find anything less than $60 a day. For a 12 day vacation... uh, no thanks!

We've lucked out with friends helping out in the past, but no one would be able to do the whole time, especially with Christmas in the middle. As much as he likes being home, in the end I think it's better for him to have the interaction with people at the vet.

When we were gone for our vacation last month, the first week a good friend of ours actually stayed at our place and Marty was as happy as a clam. The second week another friend just came by and fed him but didn't really hang out with him. He went a little nuts, teared up anything he could, knocked a picture off the wall (how, I have no idea) and meowed all night when we got home. So...I think seeing people come and go all day will be better for him and let the time pass faster even if he's in a cage :-( I mean, we got him at the ASPCA and he was a pretty chill cat when we met him, so I think he'll be ok.

Thanks for your input!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search