After miscarrying.........

Forum: Trying to Conceive after Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive after Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since miscarrying........My hubby & I want to have every test done that we can before we try to concieve again. Can you please tell me any & all test that can be done to hopefully help prevent miscarrying? Any medications that can be given??? Any helpful information at all? It would be so appreciated! TIA

December 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I Heart 4x4
Well, I can tell you what I am looking at ...

Because I've had 3 miscarriages in one year, my doctor is going to run a complete blood analysis on me - checking all my hormones (estrogen, progesterone, insulin, etc.), check me for diabetes. He is also going to check me for Antiphospholipid Syndrome ... which is an immunity disorder where my body attacks the fetus.

Depending on what you have is what you're treated with. I know with Antiphospholipid Syndrome, it is treated with baby aspirin therapy and a prescription called Heparin.

It's something you'll have to discuss with your doctor.

Now ...

According to my Pregnancy Encyclopedia ...

"In women 40-45, there is a 95% decrease in fertility."
"The risk of miscarriage increases after age 35, increasing even further after 40. This increasing risk of pregnancy loss is primarily caused by chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus."

There is also a chart in my encyclopedia, showing the odds of having down syndrome and total risk for clinically significant chromosome abnormalities.

For me, a 21 year old ...
1/1,667 - chance of down syndrome
1/526 - total risk for clinically significant chromosome abnormalities

Now, if I remember correctly, you are 41 ...
1/82 - chance of down syndrome
1/53 - total risk for clinically significant chromosome abnormalities

So, with those statistics ... my recommendation is to get a full chromosomal check not only for you, but for John as well. I think you guys are already doing that, which is a smart move IMHO, considering your age and recent history with pregnancy loss. ((hugs))

Keep us updated!

My encyclopedia also recommends something called Prenatal Diagnostic Tests (for when you do get pregnant again). Those include ultrasounds, amniocentesis, etc.
December 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM
hopefullyamommy's Avatar Regular
We have not had any tests done. My doctor doesn't do tests unless you have had more than two miscarriages. He told me that it is not that uncommon for someone to have two miscarraiges. We had a blighted ovum in August and from everything that I have read about this, it is just something that happens sometimes. I think our chances of having a baby are very good.

wife to Matt

December 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can be tested to see if your hormone levels are high enough to sustain a pregnancy, some women need to be on progesterone from the time of ovulation until the end of first tri.

You can be tested to see if you have a blood clotting disorder that wouldn't allow the baby to implant properly. This can be treated by going on baby aspirin or heperin.

Because of your age it may just be because of chromosomal abnormalities which they really can't do anything about.

December 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon'sMommy@Dec 27 2004, 11:01 AM
You can be tested to see if your hormone levels are high enough to sustain a pregnancy, some women need to be on progesterone from the time of ovulation until the end of first tri.

You can be tested to see if you have a blood clotting disorder that wouldn't allow the baby to implant properly.* This can be treated by going on baby aspirin or heperin.

Because of your age it may just be because of chromosomal abnormalities which they really can't do anything about.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

After my last miscarry & D&C the egg & sac was tested for chromosomal abnormalities...Everything checked out ok...Thank GOD!

January 3rd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Tammy have them check your hormone levels, especially progesterone. If your progesterone levels are low your body can't sustain the pregnancy. If you have no chromosonal abnormalities and your not making it past the 7 weeks, that could be hormones, and hormones change with age so it may be possible that your body isn't producing the hormones like it did in your other pregnancies. They can give you hormone supplements the second you find out your pregnant to compensate for it. Talk to your doc about it on your next visit and specifically ask about progesterone levels and progesterone supplements. See what he says.
January 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by linda11567@Jan 3 2005, 08:43 AM
Tammy have them check your hormone levels, especially progesterone. If your progesterone levels are low your body can't sustain the pregnancy. If you have no chromosonal abnormalities and your not making it past the 7 weeks, that could be hormones, and hormones change with age so it may be possible that your body isn't producing the hormones like it did in your other pregnancies. They can give you hormone supplements the second you find out your pregnant to compensate for it. Talk to your doc about it on your next visit and specifically ask about progesterone levels and progesterone supplements. See what he says.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Hi Linda,
I ask my doctor if that could be my problem....He said that is rare. I might change doctors if he keeps taking all of this so lightly. I have known him for 22 years too. He just keeps telling us to keep trying....Pretty much says the reason I am having the miscarrys is because my eggs are old. He feels we will get a good egg soon. But, my hubby does not want me to keep miscarrying. It is hard on us emotionally. And not easy on my body either. you know what I mean? I go back to my doctor on the 11th to see if these cysts have gone down on their own. I will talk to him again about what we can do when I become pregnant again. If he tells me things will go the way they go..We can do nothing just hope my egg is a good one. I am switching doctors. We have a good woman doctor here in town. Maybe she will take me as a patient.I have no time to waste. I will let you know how it goes.

I hope you are doing well! TAKE CARE!

January 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I think you should switch doctors too. I know you've been with him a long time but what your going through isn't routine. And I don't think the hormones or progesterone is all that rare. On message boards of women who have had babies after loss many of them are or were on progesterone to sustain their pregnancy. This is a small board and there are women here who were or are on it too. Patty for one. that doesn't seem rare to me. Maybe he just hasn't kept up with the latest research. I'm glad your thinking of changing drs. I don't think 3 in a row is a coincidence. Maybe a consultation and having her reveiw your case and seeing what she says before you make the switch would be a good idea. You would know how she will handle your case. I agree, I think you need to be proactive and if his attitude is what will happen will happen, its time to move on.
January 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Jenni's Avatar Super Mommy
Tammy- I TOTALLY agree with Linda.
The decreased progesterone is not rare!
Like Ashley, after my third miscarriage, my DH and I had all kinds of bloodwork and testing done.
I conceived for the fourth time right away and they put me on progesterone for the first trimester (like Brandon's mommy mentioned!) and they also put me on baby aspirin for the first and second trimester.
Seemed to do the trick! My only remaining problem is an "irritable uterus", so I contract all the time! Solved that with long term hospitalization and strong meds.
Will continue to say prayers for ya and I would consider looking into another OB or if at all possible, see a perinatologist. I wouldn't settle for
"your eggs are old"!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search