Alcohol - do or dont?

Forum: First Time Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To First Time Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
moonshine's Avatar Regular
Hey all,

I'm on my 18th week, and have been fairly disciplined about my diet all through. Last evening I went to my in-laws place for dinner and was offered a drink, which I refused, to which I was given a very long lecture on how it's okay to drink through the pregnancy and that it's counterproductive to not listen to your body, if you're craving for a drink.

Actually I'm not craving, but theoretically, if I were, would it be okay to drink???

I've heard it's risky and best avoided but is that just me being paranoid? A lot of people in the older generation (in their 50s, 60s) seem to advocate drinking (not binge drinking). And i'm afraid they take offense too - as if it's in some way proving that they were wrong to drink through their pregnancies....

How does one handle this? And more importantly, whats the truth about alcohol during pregnancy?
March 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Just call me "Hope."
If I remember correctly, the American Pediatric Association guidance is NO alcohol during pregnancy. But I've also read studies saying that this guidance is very conservative, and a little alcohol is ok (but please find the info and judge for yourself - I don't remember exactly what was said or what timeframes in the pregnancy they were talking about!)

I think you could say you're following what doctors are saying today, and you realize advice changes over time and may change again. (For example, my parents and MIL just shake their heads about not letting my son sleep on his tummy... but they understand that if the doctors advise against it, I'm going to listen.) If it helps smooth things over, you might say that alcohol just doesn't even sound good now that you're pregnant (unfortunately I felt that way about vegetables - LOL).

Good luck! This won't be the last time you get advice on caring for your LO, so be ready to stay informed and keep doing what you believe in.
March 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was told NO alcohol during pregnancy and thats what I've stuck by.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In my 3rd trimester my doctor told me the occassional glass of wine was safe and would help me sleep. I never felt comfortable doing that and never tried it. I think it is between you and your doctor and your personal comfort level.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

March 15th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks yes, I think I'd rather listen to my doc and not take risks just because other people did things that didn't harm their babies...
Thank you for clarifying - I really thought I was being too paranoid and they almost had me convinced that that was bad for the baby!!
March 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
I wouldn't think a sip would hurt....I did with Phoenix...But, I never drank a whole glass, or even a glass every night. Just a sip here and there.

I think though genereally....I wouldn't. The risks of it all are too scary for me!
But everyone is different

March 25th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I think a lot of people put pressure on like that because that's what they did. Maybe they just want you to feel comfortable, but if they are offering you a drink and you say no, it's rude to push it on you. It's not like you asked for the drink, kwim?

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM
*Ava's Mommy*'s Avatar Naomi
i dont drink that often, maybe a beer like twice a year and when i was preg that was all i wanted ice cold beer.. lol but no i didn't h ave any.. no alchol during pregnancies!

March 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
They actually think that cravings don't have much to do with the specific thing you're craving, but what you might get out of it. Like a craving for meat may mean you actually need iron or protein, and not meat specifically. So I don't think that you need to give in to any craving or that it will be detrimental to you or the baby in any way. I still haven't eaten the Red Lobster biscuits I've been wanting since November, and me and the baby are perfectly fine

There are conflicting opinions about what is good and bad during pregnancy. I know in some places in the world, pregnant women still drink wine, even though it's recommended here to avoid all alcohol. But even with that recommendation, some doctors will still okay a little bit here and there, especially after the first trimester.

Really, I think it's up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. I don't honestly believe that an occasional sip of wine will cause any harm, but at the same time, I have not had a drop and will not while I'm still pregnant. It took me until my second trimester to be comfortable with caffeine, and that's been okayed by pretty much everyone in moderate amounts and people thought I was being overly cautious by avoiding it. But I still feel like it was right for me, so I didn't care what anyone else thought about it

I also definitely don't think that anyone should be putting any kind of pressure on you to consume anything you're not sure about! If they give you crap about it, you can always lie and tell them it makes you nauseous

March 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Mana! that's an interesting perspective regarding the cravings not necessarily being about the thing you crave - and I completely agree... i actually have had no cravings at all, though sometimes a whiff of something may temporarily attract my attention.

And since my 2nd trimester started I've started allowing myself a coffee or a diet coke every now and then, never more than 1 a day though.

I suspect it's more of an ego issue with some people because it makes them look "wrong" for having done something that I cant even begin to understand the logic on. I mean, even back then most people knew alcohol is bad for the baby....

I read somewhere that if you have one cocktail and it gets you high, imagine how that little one inside would handle it? scary... the baby would simply pass out... who wants to take that risk????

@}-,-'-
March 27th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a small Mimosa on Mother's Day last year when DH took me out. Our midwives assured us it was completely fine. I was also like 32+ weeks, I am not sure I would have done it if I was only a few weeks.
May 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
As someone who works with special needs kids, I say no nothing! No alcohol, no meds if you can help it (and I know there are instances when you need to take some tylenol or a blood pressure pill), no smoking, no drugs, etc. To me, alcohol is just as bad as heroine when pregnant. I know there are "studies" out there that suggest it might be okay to have a little but I would never do it.
May 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
MammaHutch
No drinking!
June 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran
I would never drink being pregnant, and defianlty haven't had any since I found out. I just don't think I could handle it if something was to go wrong, I would constantly think, "Did I do this?".

But it is your body, your baby.
June 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You do what you are comfortable with. Most studies say no alcohol during pregnancy. While you will get an occaisional doctor to say that a 1/2 a glass of red wine would be ok on occasion.

I never drank during my pregnancy, although I did want to. I was just not comfortable with the fact that I could cause her harm. If you aren't confident that it is safe, stay away from it and ignore what other say.
It definitely won't be the first or last time someone butts their nose in.
July 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Sarai1983's Avatar Bonus Mom w/ a Baby Bump
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarai1983
Personally I am of the no alcohol opinion... I think if there's anything that has a CHANCE of harming my child I wouldn't risk it... imho it sounds like you don't really want to drink.... yo7 mostly dont want to offend the people around you.... this is my advice on that & what i will gladly say to anyone's face who gives me advice I don't want- this is YOUR baby not theirs.... you are this child's home & will treat your body & your baby the way you feel it should be treated. We're all mama-bears... don't be afraid attack if you need to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search