The useless things...

Forum: First Time Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mom2Brendan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To First Time Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Me and Jesus <3 You
As a new mom, what are some of the things that you found to be rather useless in terms of baby gear, clothing, advice, etc?
June 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I had some bad useless advice from lactation consultant and nurses at the hospital when I had my son.

They told me nurse 30 minutes one side then switch and nurse other side for 30 minutes then stop and not nurse again in like 3 or 5 hrs later so when Brendan was crying in the hospital I was like I can nurse then they are like no it's not time for that and brought a bottle for him to drink out of saying my supply must not have came in.

I followed their advice for 2 weeks because I thought that was correct after all it was a lactation consultant who said that but I decided to let Brendan choose what he wanted to do which was long nursing and if he wanted to switch sides he chose to do it made life so much more easier and he slept better that way.
Mrs.Storm likes this.

September 7th, 2012, 01:06 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Don't stock up on nb clothing. If you do it's best to buy them from thrift stores like i did because my lo didn't wear them long he grew fast,i should add he was 5lbs 13oz at birth. It's best to buy 0-3 but even more 3-6 clothing then anything.

June 27th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Baby socks! They don't stay on. Don't bother with mittens either unless maybe your child is born in the winter. I just trim my son's nails. It isn't too hard.
I thought I had way to much NB stuff, but my son was 6 lbs 8 oz and even NB clothes were too big on him. I kept hearing that NB stuff is a waste of time so I had tons of 0-3 and many of those were way too big so had to buy more stuff after he was born.
I don't use a wipe warmer or a sterilizer since you can wash bottle accessories in the dishwasher and my dishwasher also has a sterilizer in it. I also use the Medela sterlilizer bags.
My son doesn't like the bouncy seat or swing, but I am hoping he will learn to like them. He is four weeks old.
July 1st, 2013, 12:20 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Socks for sure. We used the mittens in the beginning because his nails were always sharp no matter what I did. We bed share so a crib was completely unnecessary. We have far too many clothes, but luckily they were given to us not bought by us. I only use the bouncer seat to put him down when I go to the bathroom. We have no use for bottles and he has just started to like the pacifier at almost 3 months old.

Useless advice: pretty much everything. Go with your gut. I've been told do this, don't do that and in the end its what works for me and my son.
We bed share because its how we both sleep best. He sleeps on his belly because he screams when on his back. I carry him as much as I want. I respond as soon as he's fussy, he never gets to the point of crying. Go with your gut and don't worry about making others happy

Last edited by MapleGranola; July 1st, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search