O/T Rant

Forum: Newlyweds Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Newlyweds Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok...this is way off topic but it's really stressing me out a bit.

I am an assistant advisor for the College of Education. I work in the graduate education office which handles the master's and doctoral students. We run the master's comprehensive exam every semester. Between that and making sure that everyone has degree plans, getting students admission applications in, trying to get the online application up and trying not to blow up at my assistant who does not have a firm grasp of grammar or professional etiquette...I feel my patience running out.

I started this job in October. My boss was an elderly lady with health issues. We all knew that she'd retire soon but it sort of surprised us when she announced before Christmas break that she'd be retiring at the end of January. That meant that I had to take over. I have no doubt that I can do it, but it is so hard fitting in her shoes. Everyone expects me to do things her way. Well, frankly, her way wasn't always the best way, she wasn't there long enough for me to learn how she did everything right down to the letter, and it's never going to be exactly the same.

So we had our comp exam in March. I am in charge of getting it set up, and then at the end of it gathering all the results, getting it to the Grad School, making sure they don't lose it, and getting the results out to the students. Before I can do all that, I have to have ALL the results from the faculty. They don't understand that my deadlines are HARD deadlines, nor do they care. So in the midst of trying to figure out how to do this and getting it actually done, my professors are getting frustrated, my students are getting frustrated, and people who have absolutely NOTHING to do with my office are coming up to me and saying "Why did you do it this way." Because I thought it would be fun....stupid juice bag....it's the only way I could figure out HOW to do it...

My assistant actually said "stoled" the other day...and "We don't do that no more..." The last one she said to a prospective student....and since I'm not technically the boss and I'm so new, I can't get on to her! She also calls professors by their first or last names. Uh no! You don't do that unless specifically asked and only one hast asked for us to call her by her first name! Ugh! I'm sorry....I'm just so frustrated by being second guessed that it snowballed in to the rest of that rant.... Thanks in advance if you make it all the way through.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
April 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hon I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I know that can be frustrating! I especially know what it's like to be second guessed.. I'm a lawyer at a company and just love it when people with no legal education think they know it better than me. Sorry for hijacking..

I think all you can do at this point is just keep your cool and continue to do everything professionally and stengthen everyone's respect for you and your authority. Is there anyway you can send reminders to the people who need to send you things? Maybe they don't understand how important it is to meet the deadlines? I don't know how things work over there, I hope once they're reminded they will do things properly!

We're here for you!!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

April 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Oh I sent many reminders with read receipts and everything. You know what they did? Deleted the e-mail. I finally had to physically walk all over the College of Education which is HUGE to chase them down. Pissed one professor off, but at that point I didn't care... And then I found out, when I sent the questions out for reading, I did it wrong... And not only SHOULD someone else have done that part (kind of) for me, they were more that WILLING to do it for me! Ugh!

You didn't hijack. I like knowing other people's experiences....it helps us to relate. Sometimes professors think that because they have more degrees, they are more intelligent. Just because I didn't pursue a master's or a doctoral degree, it doesn't make me any less savvy as to the way things work. And without people who do my job...they'd have to do it on their own. Then it'd never happen, students would never get admitted much less graduate and the whole University would go under....so there!

April 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
Aww steph THIS is why you gave me those "requirements" yesterday. I cant believe she says stuff like that. And can you do anything if they dont give you those papers? Or are you just out of luck basically?
I hate that they're doing that to you...
If she's YOUR assistant then it is YOUR place to say something to her!
April 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
KogerBaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally understand your frustration, i have moved up very quickly in my company to a position where i work with SR directors and VPs all day. I often have to get the department managers to do things without being able to give them a whole lot of information or reasoning behind my time lines. It can be a struggle getting others to understand that you are really only there to help benefit them and that by providing the information that you need they are helping themselves. It will get better they will come to realize that even though you may not do things exactly the same way as the person before you that the changes you are making are for the better and that it will ultimately make the process smoother.

as for the assistant i say even if she doesn't report directly to you that you can tell her how inappropriate she was.
April 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry Steph!!! You have right to be frustrated!! Want me to go kick some butt? hahaha

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
April 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're dealing with this! People can be so ridiculous some times. I can't believe your assistant talks like that - oh wait, yes I can. My team members do it too! It drives me crazy, I'm like HELLO! You're corresponding with Managers and Directors - LISTEN to yourself. And READ what you're typing. Does that email REALLY sound professional?! I have one that calls me by my last name and types things like "U" and "R" instead of you and are. Hello people - this is not text messaging!

Anyway - good luck! Try not to let them get to you. I wish I had better advise.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
April 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
Jen, people like THAT make me wonder why I cant find a decent job?
How do they manage it OVER me?
For instance, steph's assistant makes 2.25 MORE than me.
Seriously? This is ridiculous.
April 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
You guys are great!

Amanda, I know all the information that goes on the reports that I have to submit. But if I submit it on my own and the profs change their minds I'd be screwed.

Dotty - Thanks! I think my assistant just flat doesn't know any better. She never went to college. She graduated high school and just started having babies. Well she only has 3 but that was the first thing she did. Anyway...I just think she doesn't understand the world of academia, or working with highly educated people.

Caitlin - haha! Today was better, thanks for the offer though!!!

Jennifer - I totally agree. I dunno...I probably am just too much of a grammar nazi...

I honestly don't know how this girl beat out the rest of the competition...it must have been bad or just that she's really nice... She is really nice...just...ugh. Not as smart as me and that's a terrible thing to say...

April 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
JuiceF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Steph... you can rant all you want, regrdless of the topic!!

I think your assistant sucks!!! and we need to give her some smart juice!!!
When I was a DMM assistant @ 21 at walmart.. there were buyers who I had to ask things for.. my boss was their boss so i bossed them around to get things done.. and they have been with the company for 20+ yrs and men.. who did not like having me tell them what to do..!!!
But I spoke to my boss and told him the situation, he spoke with them and it worked out... but I don't know what you would do in your case.. since your the new boss.. hopefully you can speak to someone!!

otherwise i will come over there and beat them up for you!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search