Wasn't trying, wasn't preventing... now I'm pregnant. What to do?

Forum: Not Trying Not Preventing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Not Trying Not Preventing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
I am 30, overweight, happily married, self-employed and on medication for insomnia and depression.

We want a family, but I wasn't ready to off my medication completely and fully try to conceive. I have implemented a newer, healthy lifestyle to try to get in shape to really try for a baby. I have been off the pill for about 2 months and my sex life hasn't been especially active.

But it turns out I'm really fertile... I suspected I was pregnant when I missed my period. Gave it two weeks and took several tests. All positive. I am pregnant.

I have an appointment with an OB next week. What do I do in the meantime? I assume I should go cold turkey off my meds and caffeine? I don't like that I am overweight as gestational diabetes run in my fat family. I am working on that and will continue to walk and eat right.
January 19th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Well, you made your OB appointment so you're doing good so far! I would ask the doctor about the meds, but you don't need to cut out all your caffeine. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day, and I eat chocolate when I want.

My mom had gestational diabetes even though she weighed 80 lbs at my conception, but even though I'm twice her size I never had a problem with it. Don't worry too much, just tell your doctor about it. They might test you for that a little earlier than usual just to be safe, no big deal.

If you walk and eat right, you might end up losing during your pregnancy. I've lost during mine, but due to hyperemesis. Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!

Also, join up with a DDC. All of the ladies there will be a ton of help, and they're where you are in pregnancy so you can ask about tests and things like that.

Last edited by Spyctre; January 19th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
January 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
and also Congrats!!!!

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
January 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran
Congrats! definitly DO NOT STOP your meds cold turkey.
You need to ween off antidepressants and going off cold turkey could cause negative side effects to you and your baby.
Talk to your dr. they will probably recommend reducing 5mg per week until you are done.
congrats and embrace this
good luck!
January 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigyl View Post
I am 30, overweight, happily married, self-employed and on medication for insomnia and depression.

We want a family, but I wasn't ready to off my medication completely and fully try to conceive. I have implemented a newer, healthy lifestyle to try to get in shape to really try for a baby. I have been off the pill for about 2 months and my sex life hasn't been especially active.

But it turns out I'm really fertile... I suspected I was pregnant when I missed my period. Gave it two weeks and took several tests. All positive. I am pregnant.

I have an appointment with an OB next week. What do I do in the meantime? I assume I should go cold turkey off my meds and caffeine? I don't like that I am overweight as gestational diabetes run in my fat family. I am working on that and will continue to walk and eat right.
Depending on what you take cold turkey could be BAD. I'd work with your OB and your psychiatrist to get you off of your current regimen and on something you feel comfortable with or to get you a skillset and tools you can use if you don't want meds at all.
January 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
You guys are the best! I am feeling so much more relaxed about this now. I think I will stick around, this forum is so wonderful
January 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
You guys are the best! I am feeling so much more relaxed about this now. I think I will stick around, this forum is so wonderful
Best ever! The ladies here are really nice. Do you know your due date yet?
January 23rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
They said September 8th over the phone when I was making my appointment, but I assume I will get confirmation of that at the appointment Friday morning.
January 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Congrats!!
January 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I've lost during mine, but due to hyperemesis.
I lost 30 pounds during my last pregnancy due to hyperemesis. GOD, I hope I don't get it again.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealKisses View Post
I lost 30 pounds during my last pregnancy due to hyperemesis. GOD, I hope I don't get it again.
I get it with all of mine like most of my other family members, but I've noticed most women say they only get it for maybe one of theirs. I'll pray for you. I'm at pre-pregnancy weight right now, and I'm swollen. I think I'll be coming out of this like it was a diet! lol

Also the women I know that have had it started getting sick with implantation. I was 8 DPO and sick as a dog. If it hasn't kicked in yet, you might just end up with mild or no sickness.

You might go ahead and get a prescription for nausea now. That way you won't have to suffer for any amount of time if you end up needing it. Congratulations!
January 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I get it with all of mine like most of my other family members, but I've noticed most women say they only get it for maybe one of theirs. I'll pray for you. I'm at pre-pregnancy weight right now, and I'm swollen. I think I'll be coming out of this like it was a diet! lol

Also the women I know that have had it started getting sick with implantation. I was 8 DPO and sick as a dog. If it hasn't kicked in yet, you might just end up with mild or no sickness.

You might go ahead and get a prescription for nausea now. That way you won't have to suffer for any amount of time if you end up needing it. Congratulations!
Last time mine didn't kick in until a 5 weeks. I'll be 5 weeks in 2 days. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to 2 days from now. It also didn't help that someone gave us all the flu this week, even my 4 month old son. So this week sucked anyway. I go in monday for an ultrasound and I'll ask for nausea meds than. I still have zofran, benadryl, and phenergan left over from last time that I've been using. I've been having waves of nausea, that aren't that bad, without vomiting. That pretty much started at conception. Last time I had zero pregnancy symptoms until 5 weeks, than I just started vomiting violently. I've never heard of anyone in my family having HG, so apparently I was a lucky duck

Sorry to hijack the thread!!

Last edited by OatmealKisses; January 24th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
January 25th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
By all means hijack away! I am learning a lot from you guys just by following along!
January 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
By all means hijack away! I am learning a lot from you guys just by following along!
Don't let us scare you. Only like 1% of all pregnancies get this.

January 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You might want to ask your doctor about valerian root or melatonin for insomnia. I have no idea if they're pregnancy safe but your OB should know and they're natural.
January 26th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks! I have insomnia also. I'll ask my OB if it's okay to try that.

January 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
LOL, I'm not too scared yet. I figure I have no control over some of it, so I'm going to take the reins of the other things... on that note, I'm due for a walk!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search