NTNP and not TTC

Forum: Not Trying Not Preventing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By Calendula
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Not Trying Not Preventing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran
Hey ladies!! Just curious, how do you all keep a line between NTNP and TTC? I feel like I get so worked up on wanting a baby that NTNP becomes just as stressful as TTC could be.

June 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
to me, we aren't ttc because both of us have not decided to try for another baby, and to try on certain days, etc.

we both know we aren't using protection but there are no definite plans for a baby. make sense?
BOYSxTWO likes this.

June 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, the line is mostly drawn between whether or not we allow it to control our sex life.
Terra_Mater likes this.

June 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran
Yeah that makes sense. I don't let it control my sex life but I've been having crazy baby fever. I'm not one to plan and I don't want to make it stressful. I want the surprise more then expecting it.

June 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
same here... we are using the "pull out " method and just going with the flow.. if it happens it happens. less stressful and i love surprises...
June 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hear ya! We opted to NTNP because it was easier to get my husband to agree to, and I thought that I would feel less anxiety about it. That said, it's the first time in our relationship that we haven't been extra careful to not get pregnant and I've found myself so stressed I think it's messing with my cycle. I think that we will actively TTC starting in the fall, but for now we're just doing our best (I'm doing my best) to not obsess about it!
June 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran
Yeah my SO is on board with NTNP, I don't want to stress him out. I just need to get control of myself and snap out of it!!!

June 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well from what ive heard and read... the "pull out method" is all about timing and the man knowing his body... and sometimes it can be stressful.. but so far it is what it is.. and we have 4 kids.. 13-11-2 and 1... and we are not using condoms we are just using the withdrawal method and its alot less stressful..
July 2nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
For me it's sex just for the enjoyment of it, without protection, and without thinking about babies. Just regular sex without condoms.
July 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Veteran
That's how it is supposed to be! I don't know why I can't get that through my head! I'm working on it! Lol the baby fever will pass...maybe.

July 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going on 8+ months of BAD baby fever! It hasn't gone away yet! I can completely understand where you are coming from! I think it's harder because this would be baby #1 for me. I haven't gone through the process of being pregnant and having one. Also I know that this is merely a 'waiting period' until we do start ttc-ing, vs women on here who are 'done' having kids but if one more shows up that would be cool. I have been taking vitamins, to get my body ready, and keeping track of how long my cycles are (because they're WAY out of wack right now) maybe we should start a new sub-category of 'actively' NTNP. haha
July 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I'm going on 8+ months of BAD baby fever! It hasn't gone away yet! I can completely understand where you are coming from! I think it's harder because this would be baby #1 for me. I haven't gone through the process of being pregnant and having one. Also I know that this is merely a 'waiting period' until we do start ttc-ing, vs women on here who are 'done' having kids but if one more shows up that would be cool. I have been taking vitamins, to get my body ready, and keeping track of how long my cycles are (because they're WAY out of wack right now) maybe we should start a new sub-category of 'actively' NTNP. haha
I didn't even think of it that way. I would also be a first time mommy. Let's start that category! I always say NTNP/TTCish lol I doubt my baby fever will go away. I guess I just say NTNP so that my SO doesn't get stressed out about it. What kind of vitamins do you take? Just regular everyday womens vitamins?

July 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
It gets worse! lol I wanted a baby when I didn't have one, but as soon as you have one, you want to do it again. After you have two, you want another. I never want to be pregnant again, but I would love a third child. That's why you see women trying for #6 or #7, and you wonder how they can have baby fever with that many.
July 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking over to this board bc DH and I have decided to NTNP just for a few cycles. But the thing I wonder the most on this topic is this: if you know your body well and know that you are ovulating but DTD anyways (not bc of ovulation but it just happens), do you still think that's considered NTNP or TTC? I mean, the timing isn't bc of your cycle but at the same token you have the knowledge that you're doing it at the right time.
Hope that makes sense, this is the biggest thing that baffles me w NTNP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

July 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Ntnp has more to do with being comfortable if things happen, but not worrying about if they don't.... for example if I were TTCing after a few months I would be worried I wasn't getting pregnant... where as with NTNP I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that something was wrong...

I haven't been temping regularly, but am keeping track of how long my cycles are just because they were super long a few months back... (like 40+ days)
I take a multi vitamin (gummy!) and sometimes an extra Vitamin B12, and if my husband has a cold I will up my Vitamin C... (I figure you just pee out whatever you don't really need, so I don't worry about getting too much)

I am using this time to try (ever so slightly it seems) to get healthier, and maybe lose a little weight.. once we start actively TTCing I will probably switch to a prenatal vitamin, and focus on eating well, and living better.

For my NTNP is getting ready for baby, and ttc is the process of making the baby....I'm sure it's different for everybody, but as much as I have bad baby fever, I'm finally starting to relax about it.

For us anyways it seems like the world is preventing us from conceiving anyways... Either DH or I have been away from each other for the better part of each month (over the time I suspect I would be ovulating anyways) And he will be away most of August too, so maybe our plan of TTCing in the fall will just happen naturally, instead of 'letting things happen'
Pink00Hearts likes this.
July 23rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
Lurking over to this board bc DH and I have decided to NTNP just for a few cycles. But the thing I wonder the most on this topic is this: if you know your body well and know that you are ovulating but DTD anyways (not bc of ovulation but it just happens), do you still think that's considered NTNP or TTC? I mean, the timing isn't bc of your cycle but at the same token you have the knowledge that you're doing it at the right time.
Hope that makes sense, this is the biggest thing that baffles me w NTNP.

For me, this is still NTNP. I have a pretty good idea of when I ovulate, even though I don't temp or chart anything know other than the first day of each menstrual cycle. I'm DTD because I want to, not worrying about what positions are best for conception or if we should do it today and set an appointment for 48 hours from now, or really thinking about anything other than getting some, lol. For me, this falls into the 'not preventing' category. You know there is a chance, you're not doing anything to prevent it. Knowing it could happen isn't the same as taking steps to try to help it happen, for me.

The important thing for us is to approach it as NTNP so it isn't adding stress or ruining our intimacy. We struggled to conceive our daughter, we've been NTNP for more than a year and a half with no result... we stick to our definition NTNP mostly by making sure the focus is one appreciating sex for it's own reward and celebrating having the kiddo we already do.

July 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Calendula-- I saw your original response to this post and really like your simple outlook on the topic. I'm such a planner and typically over think things do I really like your direct perspective on this. I think I'm going to try to use your same attitude towards the topic. This is so new to me and NTNP is something I never thought I could handle with my Type-A personality, but I am appreciating the relaxed and carefree aspect of it so far. Not sure how long this will last but for now it's refreshing, so thank you for your perspective.

Calendula likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks, and good luck!

July 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm one of the ladies that is "done" or at least could be done & be perfectly happy. I just don't want to admit that we are done. I look at ntnp as though I'm putting the control in someone else's hands. If we get pregnant again then I know it was meant to be & not something I forced into happening.

August 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM
ErinBoshnyak1985's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree....My husband is on board with NTNP but I am TOTALLY trying!!!! I try not to stress about it but it's difficult not to. The bio-clock is ticking!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search