Secrets?

Forum: Not Trying Not Preventing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By franbaby
  • 1 Post By gustka48

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Not Trying Not Preventing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 11:08 AM
April 13th 2014 :)
As I've mentioned before my husband and I are NTNP at this time. No luck so far, but it's only been about 2 months, so not rush ...yet.

Most of our families know where we are at with this NTNP. But I've thought alot of about names. And the few that I've liked I've mentioned but some I've got horrible reactions from people.

Just wondering if anyone out there picked out a name and then kept it a complete secret from everyone (even grandparents). And if you did were you happy that you did? I'm just worried that my husband is so picky we will pick a name, tell his mother and she hates it and then suddenly he doesn't like it anymore and then we are back to the books scrambling to come up with something else!

Now don't get me wrong, seeing as we are not even pregnant yet, I'm aware we have alot of time to discuss and come up with a name, just thoughts I've had since starting a family could come very soon for us!
January 10th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My advice if or when a grandparent doesn't like the choice is to tell them that they will learn to love it. They had their chance to name their children, and now it is your turn. We told my mom as much with our last one. "You had a chance to name children, Mom, and you and Dad chose Arwen Danelle and Dell Franklin. Seeing as how those suck, you don't get a say in mine. Do you even realize I am still unsure what my middle name is? You both call me two different things!" Her reaction surprised me because everyone else loved our choice for our second. Winter Rose. ♥

She wanted my first named after her and my MIL. Then she wanted our second named this. It would have been Sharon Elizabeth. My husband didn't want to live with a Sharon. I don't want to live with another Sharon. We decided if we ever have a boy, we will go geek and name him James Tiberius. I don't care what our mothers say.

I never wanted to look back and tell my daughter, "Yeah, I really really REALLY liked Winter Rose, but we decided to let someone else that had no part in your creation get her way. Besides, the only thing I did was suffer though losing 6 babies before you and have hyperemesis gravidarum to the point where I needed emergency surgery and had borderline suicidal thoughts. Why should I have the honor of naming my own child?"

Do what makes you happy. If they express negative opinions about names, tell them you are sorry they feel that way, but they already had their shots naming babies. They will get over it, but thank them so much for the support they showed during this wonderful time during your life.

On a side note, my mom was one to talk. She broke the Something LOUISE tradition that had been going through her family for generations because she didn't like Louise. She legally changed her middle name to her maiden one. No room to talk!
bella88 likes this.
January 13th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Pink or blue we welcome u
HI! My DH and I didn't tell a soul what we were going to name our DS until he was born. I think it was the BEST idea ever!!! THis way we didn't have to deal with peoples reactions to the name ad knowing that certain ppl didnt like the name etc etc. It was hard not to tell my parent s because we are so close, but if/when we get pregnant again,we will do the same thing!

Good luck!
gustka48 likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM
April 13th 2014 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by franbaby View Post
HI! My DH and I didn't tell a soul what we were going to name our DS until he was born. I think it was the BEST idea ever!!! THis way we didn't have to deal with peoples reactions to the name ad knowing that certain ppl didnt like the name etc etc. It was hard not to tell my parent s because we are so close, but if/when we get pregnant again,we will do the same thing!

Good luck!
Thanks for advice! I'm so close with my mom, I tell her everything, but I agree I think it would be fun to reveal the name to everyone after the baby is born! I mean I have talked about names with her in the past, but with no postive test yet there is room for change obviously.

My husband and I have a hard time agreeing on names that we like. He likes some and I like others and we usually don't like each others! I'm more of a unique kind of name and he is more traditional, that's what I'm just worried if when he finally agree on a name and tell some one, anyone, and they don't like it my husband will change his mind. He tries to please everyone (even some people who really don't matter). And I keep telling him, not every single person in our lives are going to like our name choice!!

When you didn't tell anyone, did you give out hints like it's starts with a 'P' or did you give nothing away??
franbaby likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Pink or blue we welcome u
You and your husband kinda sound like us!! We wanted a unique name but nothing crazy... didn't want our son handing in a resume when he is older and the employer looking at this crazy name and throw it in the garbage!! lol

My husband is from the Caribbean so I like a lot of names from there as they are not super common here in Canada but he went to school with people with that name etc. We finally decided on a name and didn't tell a soul.... no hints! lol

THe only hint was..... ITS A BOYS NAME!!! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search