What are your reasons for NTNP?

Forum: Not Trying Not Preventing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Not Trying Not Preventing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 10:54 AM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
What are your reasons for NTNP? Please share your journey to this board

I'll start with mine...

After having a chemical pregnancy in January 2012 (while on birth control), I decided I wanted to give my body a break from all the synthetic hormones, etc. I gave DF a pack of condoms and informed him that he is now in charge of contraception. Needless to say, he wore them no more than twice lol
After coming off the pill, my cycles were extremely irregular (I only had one post-pill AF last year). Last month I was diagnosed with PCOS and DF is very pessimistic about us falling pregnant on our own. Although I have informed him that Metformin can help regulate cycles, he doesn't seem to care too much or think it will make a difference. His attitude is that if it happens it happens, but hes not going to make sure we have sex close to O. I on the other hand, would LOVE to be preggers now and am really hoping my NTNP here is brief and I can joining the TTC soon

Out of interest though... What would you say defines NTNP?

I am charting again because I need to see if I am even ovulating at all... we have sex when we want to though regardless of what the chart says. I'm not sure if that's ignorance, NTNP or a combination of both
mommaloves2730 likes this.

My Ovulation Chart
August 1st, 2013, 05:26 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel like I've been teetering. First it was WTTC/NTNP and now it's NTNP/TTC.
I use the ovulation calender just because I like to keep some sort of track on the inner workings of my body. But we sex it up whenever we want. So I'm not sure if that really puts us under NTNP or not.
I don't think I really want to have a TTC mindset anymore because then I would feel some pressure, and I'm pretty sure he would, too. Especially since we've had one (lost) pregnancy in three years.
So I think my SO's attitude is like your DF's. If it happens, it happens. But it would be kind of nice if it happened by the end of this year.
August 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM
Hi LUSHaye

Fingers crossed for you! Seems the NTNP is where all the "inbetweeners" belong

My Ovulation Chart
August 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
I haven't posted on this board before, but I peek in frequently. I have a 13 month old boy, and I've been ready to try for another for a couple months now. DH keeps saying that he is NOT READY! But we've been using condoms since DS was born, and DH hasn't bothered to buy any this month, so I think he's almost there. I don't want to push him, so for now I'm not thinking of it as trying, but we're not really preventing either
mommaloves2730 likes this.

August 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
I hope your NTNP days are short lived!

My Ovulation Chart
August 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I'm no longer going to be trying for children(no matter what the outcome of this pregnancy), but I considered it not really caring much. "If it happens, it happens." I honestly hate pregnancy so I would have been fine with it happening sooner to get my third out of the way, and I would have been fine with it never ever EVER happening again. Period. lol Pregnancy to me is like that Pregnancy Sucks speech on What to Expect When You're Expecting. It really does SUCK!

I charted for so long that I know my fertility signs now. I sometimes wonder if that means I'm keeping track. lol I don't temp, but I did keep a chart after DD2 where I just clicked the O button. Just liked to know when I needed tampons. I was normally correct except for this last time. I had miscarried back in December(luteal phase of 7-8 days, just wasn't going to happen), and I had geared up to O 3 times. I thought I did once, I was wrong. Thought I did again, I was wrong. Thought my body was faking me out a third time, agreed to sex, and I really was! =P

But that's about it. You just have sex without worrying, without keeping track. Just go with it, and whatever happens, happens.
August 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I have had baby fever here lately, and really wanting to try for another. I joke about it with my DH and he is not really ready I don't think. He has 3 teenage sons from a previous marriage (and has custoday of all 3), and we have a DD together that just turned 4. I will turn 30 in October DH is 8 years older than me, so I feel like we need to have another one now before he gets too old lol. We barely have a chance to DTD but when we do we do not use protection. I am definitely an in-betweener lol.
August 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I have been forgetting to take my birth control a lot this last year and I've decided I'm just finished with taking it. If we get pregnant, yay, if not we'll try again after I'm done with my Master's program next summer.
August 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran
I've never been able to tolerate all those hormones, so I opt not to use hormonal BC. As for NTNP, my SO and I are unsure whether we want a baby or not. We are both nearing the end of the years in which we would be comfortable conceiving. So, we leave it open and if it happens, it was meant to be. Once we get to where we are no longer comfortable conceiving, he will get a vasectomy and we will move forward with the children we have.

Last edited by 3maybe; August 31st, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
August 31st, 2013, 03:52 PM
Super Mommy
After years of WTTC/ talking about not having bio children we are finally NTNP! I consider it a victory.

I'm not actively TTC right now only because we have a cruise in early December. I have horrible motion sickness so on past trips I've taken nondrowsy Dramamine from before we boarded our first plane until we arrived home. With my history I don't know if I'd be comfortable taking anything other than ginger and maybe use the acupressure wristband. Neither have worked all that well for me in the past, so it could make for a pretty uncomfortable trip. Since we've been planning and dreaming about it for over a year and DH is especially looking forward to it I don't feel right pushing for a pregnancy before we leave.
On the other hand, DH and I have gone back and forth so much over the idea of another pregnancy that I wouldn't mind getting pregnant asap before he changes his mind again. In the long run I can live with a less than stellar vacation if it means I finally get to raise a child.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
September 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am tired of TTC, going on cycle 11, and my age I think makes a little harder. If it does not happen after cycle 12 I am moving to NTNP. That means that I am not trying so hard, but hey if it happens great and if not that's ok too. It's so frustrating sometimes, I just ordered conceive easy, and yes I read the good and the bad. Figured it was a 30 day trail and I paid for shipping. What am I really losing? So I am hoping that it works.

October 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
saraann's Avatar Regular
We just decided for now on that is until we fall preggers that we will ntnp! We did it with our first born and just had a lot of fun and became preggers within 4 months of stopping bc! We are both ready for another one, but I don't want to have to stress about it! Sometimes I think DH is more ready than I its kinda cute!
October 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
hopelessly wishing's Avatar Super Mommy
This is my first time posting in the NTNP board.
I just started this journey this month after my 4th miscarriage. I had 2 miscarriages 8 years ago, a chemical pregnancy this July, and a blighted ovum September 17th.
I have decided to stop stressing and planning so much and if it happens again naturally then it happens. It has been a lot of fun with no planning timing and all the extra stuff I use to do when ttc.
October 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
It's nice to see that we're not the only ones in this boat! My husband and I decided that we want to spend our first year of marriage enjoying each otherand not stressing out about having a baby, so we're not "trying." At the same time, we don't prevent at all. We had originally planned on my staying on BC, but I got pregnant on our honeymoon ending in a miscarriage. We were so thrilled to be pregnant that we decided to just see what happens if I get off BC. It's been a few months since the miscarriage so I've been very irregular. This month seems to be a bit more normal, so I'm hoping that we get our happy surprise soon! NMy baby fever is in full blown pandemic mode, lol! Good luck to all you ladies, hope things work out just how you hope!
October 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have 2 children already my dd who is 6 nearly 7 and our baby boy nearly. 6 months SO had a dd from a previous marriage so he's not fussed about having another child but I really want a 3rd and final baby I was surprised when he agreed I go off the mini pill I had only been on it a few wks after our son was born so we are ntnp however it took a yr of actively ttc to get pregnant with our son our daughter was a whoops so if we get pregnant great but I would still be happy with the 2 I have will just have to wait and see

October 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I too have had baby fever here lately. DH has two kids (7 and 11) that we are going to try to get custody of once we have our homestead completely set up; I have a DD (almost 4) from a previous relationship, and together our DS is 11-mos. Ever since, like, August I have had babies on the brain.

We are NTNP because back in August, it was time for me to refill my BC and I simply forgot (I was not good at taking them anyway). I mentioned it to DH and he didn't really say anything. Still have not had any BC since August. We have both said that we would like to have one more together (hopefully a girl). After that, this girl is getting her tubes tied. Whenever I mention not feeling well, he always says "Your pregnant".

It probably isn't the best time in the world for us to get preggers, but I would be tickled and I think DH would be too. I am currently a stay-at-home mom and taking online classes for medical billing and coding (hopefully will be done in January). My goal is to work from home.

I do not check my ovulation calendar or anything like that, we are just basically waiting to see what happens. If we are blessed, then that's great.. If not, I am happy with what I have.

This past week, I have been having PMS symptoms (which I know you can have and still be preggo). However, I have been having a little heartburn/acid reflux (which I only get when I am PG) and some lightheadedness. I am trying not to look too much into it but I can't help but hope. AF is due Monday, so we will see. Sorry for the long rant...lol....good luck to everyone!
October 24th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Hello Ladies!

Sorry, this board became a little dormant for a while so I ended up camping out at TTC. I am so happy to see so many of you here, maybe we can get it flowing again nicely I will start a new thread as an extension to this one about how we deal with the frustrations of NTNP as well as the very fine line between NTNP and TTC

My Ovulation Chart
October 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Well I am almost 30 and SO is 31. I have two children. My youngest is now 5. So I guess my reasons would be that I dont want my kids to be too spaced out. My sister and I are 6 years apart so I know from experience that a big space isnt always the best at least for siblings lol. We are closer now though. I also dont want to be too much older than I am. My mom was also 30 when she had me and I guess my parents were much older than my friends parents. I also want to try for a boy. I have two girls already.

On the other hand, I am over weight still and not sure if I want to gain more lol. Plus SO and I still arent married but we have been together 11 years this January. I just know I get looks because I have two kids out of wed lock....
November 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Forget Me Not's Avatar Four Boys and a girl!
We have four children and im a bit nervous about having a 5th despite wanting a baby. It just makes me nervous. We have been preventing up till this cycle and now that we are in our own home, we are thinking about another baby and thinking that maybe we will just see what happens.

At home working mama to four little boys. Expecting our first little MISS in Late July to Early August.

November 4th, 2013, 04:38 AM
My kid kicks butt
Same here, sleeping serenity. Our daughter was 1.5 when this baby was conceived; we weren't sure whether we wanted another child or not (some days yes, some days no), so we decided to let nature take it's course and decide for us. But we are done after this one

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search