New here and really curious about ovulation?

Forum: Not Trying Not Preventing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Not Trying Not Preventing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
So my period isn't usually on time to the day but this last time I was almost 3 months late! I went to my gyno and she did thyroid and hormone level bloodwork and everything came back normal. She said you don't necessarily need to get a period every month and prescribed me a pill to make it come. I actually ended up getting my period before I even filled it. My question is when I put in the dates in my ovulation app it says that I am ovulating today so we did have sex yesterday just to try. Do you think it's actually possible i'm ovulating? Anyone have abnormal periods like this? My doctor said she won't really be able to help me with pregnancy until we have been trying for a year and i'm pretty new to everything. Any help/advice would be awesome.
June 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
I don't really know much about ovulation,but my period is crazy irregular sometimes. It will come like clockwork for a while,then completely derail. I will miss a month completely, only have it for a day (really heavy), then it will stop for two weeks, and returns again for a full week. A couple of times, it wouldn't stop for 20 something days(fairly light)! My doctor said that there's not really a set standard for how it should be,and I shouldn't worry too much about it. I've also been told that it's normal not to ovulate every month. It's ridiculously confusing. I know that this wasn't much help,but I hope it was at least a relief to know irregular is apparently very regular.
June 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Thank you for your response! That does make me feel better that i'm not the only one who's period is all over the place! I guess it's just a wait and see type of thing.
June 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had irregular cycles before my second child. With my first daughter, the only way I got pregnant was having sex every other day from the end of one period till the next. Took one cycle to conceive. Tried for 2 years before that! I learned a lot online while trying to conceive my second.

First thing I learned about was charting. Every woman should be taught to chart. I wish I learned about it when I was just going through puberty. My cycles were off even then. Sometimes they'd come every month, sometimes every two... Charting would have been a lifesaver for me! I strongly recommend you look into that.

The second thing I learned was a way to get me regular, and it took taking an herbal supplement to balance my hormones, Vitex in particular. That was the main thing. I also stayed very hydrated and slept at decent hours in complete darkness. You have hormones that can be thrown off by light pollution, believe it or not! And staying hydrated always gave me lots of the good fertile mucus needed for the sperm to make their way.

So sleep, darkness, water, and a nasty Vitex cocktail got me to a steady 28 day cycle, EVERY CYCLE. And since I started charting, I learned that I ovulated on cycle day 17 NOT 14 with an 11 day luteal phase. So I was able to ovulate predictably and time sex accordingly.

My first child took 2 years to conceive with the lack of knowledge. Besides a couple of accidental pregnancies(miscarriages) before I started trying for my second, every pregnancy after that took 1 cycle. Had several more miscarriages, but I would literally get pregnant every cycle I tried.

This was my experience learning, anyway. I hope it helps some. Feel free to ask any questions! And try not to rely on an app to tell you about ovulation unless you are actually charting.

Edit:
I'm not trying to say that knowing what's going on is a sure fire way to get pregnant right away, but in my experience, it's easier to do when you know when you should keep having sex or when you can stop. Charting and getting my cycles regulated were key for me. I still lost 8 babies, though I had no problem at all conceiving (most) of them.
rachel320 likes this.

Last edited by Spyctre; June 3rd, 2014 at 04:06 PM.
June 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Thank you for your advice!! I want to look into Vitex because the irregular periods is such a pain especially when you miss a couple months it's so heavy! I'm also going to look into charting because that seems to be the only way to know for sure. I figured a free app on my iphone wasn't that reliable
June 5th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Vitex(also called Chasteberry) is awesome. It takes a couple cycles to really get you regulated, but after I was regulated, I was able to stop taking it. Most ladies I talk to have taken it their entire cycle or until pregnancy is confirmed. I'm paranoid with all my miscarriages so I always took it from cycle day 1 till 5 days past ovulation because it's not classified as pregnancy safe.

The phone apps will think that women always have the same luteal phase length, same as my doctor's office. I think the people that make most of those have no idea about menstrual cycles! lol

Tags
abnormal menstruation , first child , ovulation

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search