She doesn't talk.

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
MamaBx3
Sophia is 16 months old. She can say "mama, baby, hi and bye".

She also pushes air up through her nose when we try to get her to say things.. When ever I give her something she says "thank you" but its just hummed through her nose.. I'm getting concerned about this. Vae spoke so clearly so early on.. I'm worried that Sophia is going to have a speech impediment or something. She goes to the doctor again in February so I'm definitely going to mention this if it hasn't improved.

Does anyone else have a toddler who is 16 months (or around there) that can't speak?
December 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
~Valerie~
Caden is a man of very few words He says hi, dada, Ni ( for Liam ) and something that sounds like cracker
He screams alot though to show how unhappy he is with a certain situation.

It's weird too, I was talking to Jay about that last night i think, and Liam was talking very well at that age

I guess they're all different
December 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
MamaBx3
Yep Sophia screams at the top of her lungs to get her point across --- It's frustrating for her, I can tell.

Im just scared something is wrong with her speech.
December 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
~Valerie~
They're still pretty young though. I know i don't like the fact that he isn't really talking yet, and yes in "the books" it says they should say so many words by now but then again, every kid will go at his own pace. I'd be different if they were 3 but it's stressfull i know, i'm in the exact same boat as you
December 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breana doesn't say much. she just started saying thank you but not all the time

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

December 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
MamaBx3
Ok.. thanks ladies! It makes me feel better to know that shes not the only one.. and that its some what normal.
Its hard not to go by the books with stuff like this - especially because every time we go to the drs she's asking about "developmental skills" .. makes me worry!
December 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kate barely said a word til 20+ months. Now she wont stop!
Dont worry! All children are different.
If youre not using sign language-think about learning a few basic ones-it can really help with the frustration of the communication barrier. sign language generally helps children learn to talk sooner than most. not always true though- Kate knows tons of sign language but only just started the vocabulary explosion. She learned to walk really fast though and has always excelled in motor skills over language skills-shes just catching up on her language where it should be as a 2 year old now.
she used to mumble alot....It was like she would talk a bunch without opening her mouth. lol.
December 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jas never said much at that age either.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

December 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Momma2My Lil Js's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momma2My Lil Js
All children are different... If you are concerned talk to your Dr. They're the best ones to refer you to therapy if it's required.

December 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
Legend is almost 17 months and he says Mommy (like 700 times a day) DaDa, ball, tree, and puppy. That's it. My oldest daughter talked like since birth, I swear! Well at least it seemed that way. Story didn't talk quite as much as Lyric did but she still talked more than Legend does at this age. I wouldn't worry. The first kid usually talks the earliest, and each kid is different.
December 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
Alina is 14 months old and says momma, dadda, and that is about it... She did not even say Momma until almost a year old.... She has been seeing a speech pathologist since she was 9 months old.... I did not want to take her there, but because they were concerned about her hearing, we have been taking all precautions. The pediatrician said that she is doing well with 2 words... he said that if she is not saying at least 4 words by the time she is 18 months old, then he might start to worry. My almost 3 year old was talking before she was a year old. She actually said "I want cake" at her first birthday... and small phrases like that.... so it is weird for me to have a toddler that is not talking my ear off. You are not alone.
December 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hart_N_Sole
My first son is 2 1/2 years old, and he does not talk... His younger brother, who is 1 1/2, speaks more words, sentences, and much more clearly... Every child is different, she'll talk when she's ready!
December 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I think that's pretty normal for her age. Alissa said a few words @ that age but her speech picked up later.

December 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Alex's Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alex's Mom
Alex is almost 17 months and he only says 5 or 6 words. I'm not worried because he understands everything so I figure he'll start talking when he's ready

December 31st, 2008, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mahlon is only 14 months but he isn't talking at all except for baby babble. The only actual word i've heard him say is "dada". My 4 year old DD was the opposite and was talking up a storm at his age. My 2 older kids were very late talkers. My 11 year old DS didn't talk until he was 3 1/2 and was actually in speech therapy, and my 9 year old DD was about 2 1/2 when she started talking and both of them are perfectly normal children who have no delays. So, I guess my point is that all children talk when they are ready

We had the same concerns with walking. All 3 of my other kids were walking well before their first birthday. Mahlon didn't walk until 13 months and I was freaking out because I was convinced that something was wrong. Now he's 14 months and walking all over the place so I guess he was just taking his time. Now I wish he wasn't walking because i'm constantly chasing him around, lol!
January 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN ABLE TO CARRY FULL CONVERSATIONS SINCE ABOUT 16 MONTHS. BUT NOW I WISH SHE DIDNT HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY. SHE JUST TURNED 2 LAST WEEK AND IS SUCH A SMART MOUTH. I DONT EVEN LIKE TAKING HER TO THE STORE BECAUSE I KNOW SHE WILL EMBARESS ME BY HER SMART REMARKS. BUT I WOULD TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BECAUSE I WAS CONCERED WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS 12 MONTHS BECAUSE SHE WOULD LEARN NEW WORDS BUT STOP SAYING THE ONES SHE KNEW. MY DOCTOR SAID THAT IT WOULD ONLY BE A CONCERN IF SHE WAS 18 MONTHS AND NOT TALKING IN SENTENCES.
January 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Super Mommy
It really depends on the kid, I have a sister that sang herself happy birthday on her first birthday, but my brother born directly after her didn't say anything (at all!) except "bwap bwap" we never did figure out what exactly that was. Anyways, at 3 years old he just started talking in sentences one day, he didn't have any problems, he just didn't feel the need to talk.
My daughter is 23 months old and babbles constantly with her little sister in "baby talk", she still doesn't speak in sentences, and at 17 months, all she was saying was, "dada", "by-by", "thank you", and maybe "night night". Now she also says "please" "juice" "mama" "blue" "anastasia" "baby" and maybe a few others. She has always been very very active, early in everything involing movement. So maybe thats part of it. I've never heard of rules that your kid has to be able to speak in sentences by 18 months, and frankly I think thats stupid to put development in such a tight box like that.
January 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
~Valerie~
Quote:
Caden is a man of very few words He says hi, dada, Ni ( for Liam ) and something that sounds like cracker
He screams alot though to show how unhappy he is with a certain situation.

It's weird too, I was talking to Jay about that last night i think, and Liam was talking very well at that age

I guess they're all different[/b]
Caden has been saying more and more . He now says Thank you, Hi, up, down, nana ( mama) if I count to ten he says the number 2-3-6-8-10, hello and he also started saying No, he got that from his big brother
April 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Audrey will be 16 months tomorrow and doesn't say too much yet but I think she is getting close.
April 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
KAYnCOLESmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just want to offer some input into this. Kayley was referred to speech therapy when she was about 18 months and hardly said a word. We were very worried b/c she couldn't express to us what she wanted and we couldn't guess. So we started taking her to speech therapy 1 time a week for a little over a month. As much as my mom wants to think it helped, I think anything repeatative works. We went and bought her flash cards and books and all kinds of learning tools to help her learn the words and how to say them. She was 2 and still only said 10 words and they weren't clear. We just kept doing the flash cards every day and making sure we made time for an hour of "learning time". We stopped going to speech therapy b/c our insurance didn't cover it and the visits were $140 a visit...so we couldn't afford to keep going. We also had the state come out to our home and evaluate her to see if we qualified for state assisted therapy, and we did qualify, but I didn't want to force it on her, so we decided to just keep doing what we were doing...and it really honestly worked. We just made the time to teach her and be patient once we figured out what worked. She is doing awesome now, in a short year she is speaking sentences and singing. You just have to find something that works for her and for you. Be very patient and consistent. It really pays off. I hope this helped a little bit...it was a very rough time for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search