Night terrors

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
amandolin's Avatar Veteran
My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and just started having night terrors last night. I didn't realize that's what it was until tonight... had one again a few minutes ago.

I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions or if this is something she just has to grow out of?

Mother of DD Kelly... Patiently awaiting the arrival of DD Jennifer.

January 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
~Valerie~
I think they grow out of it.There isn't much you can do except making sure that they're safe.I've heard you're not supposed to wake them up while they're screaming, I could be wrong though
January 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
my 3 yr old deals with them.... i let her come in bed with us if she comes to our room..... but otherwise we let her deal with it, and she usually calms down on her own.
January 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Is she, by any chance, learning how to use the potty yet? Are things tense at home? Not to imply that you're doing anything wrong - sometimes it's just a phase they go through, but stress can trigger night terrors. And sometimes things that we don't think are stressful are very stressful for them.

If you're actively potty-training, maybe ease up a bit for the time being.

I see that you're expecting another child...could this have anything to do with it? I'd be careful when you talk about the baby to explain it, but don't overwhelm her with it. Let her initiate the conversations about the baby inside. If you and DH are struggling/fighting/dealing with issues together, try to have some family time and make it a rule that stressful issues aren't allowed to come up in the conversation.

Just be on the lookout for any changes in her life right now - it might not seem big to you, but it could be huge to her.

She might grow out of it...I just suggest that you cuddle with her when she wakes up and make her feel safe.

Does she have a TV in her room? If yes, I'd take it out of her room.

I'd also purchase a CD of lullabies, classical, Christian or soothing music that can be set to REPEAT all night quietly. That might soothe her some.
January 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Tinks_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Briannah has only had one and it was right after she turned 2. It was so scary though. I didn't know what was going on. We tried to calm her but she kept screaming. We started to head to the hospital, got pulled ovver because I was speeding, and eventually after the cop let me go she started to settle. She cried/screamed for a good 2 hours. Thankfully she has never had another and I have no idea what triggered it. Hope you little one sleeps better tonight.
BrynLeigh 08/18/08
and bean due 12/18/2010
January 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
amandolin's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the info.

She is potty training but I'm not being pushy about it. I'm letting her take the lead. She doesn't seem to be stressed out about the new baby, but then again, I could be wrong. I think it might just be a lack of sleep that is doing it. I recently read that being overtired can do it, and for the past few days she has refused to take a nap. Hopefully she'll nap today and not have another terror tonight.

Mother of DD Kelly... Patiently awaiting the arrival of DD Jennifer.

January 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is something they grow out of.

But I know with my niece certain TV shows like the Simpsons give her night mares

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search