I have a Very Picky eater. Suggestions Please!

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
My son refuses to try new things. He only likes oatmeal, smooth yogurt (can't have chunks of fruit), waffles, chicken, french fries, Pizza, and applesauce. He will not eat things most kids like such as Mac & cheese spaghetti, PB & J sandwiches..... Fruits & veggies- forget it. He doesn't like ranch or ketchup, and won't touch anything that's too messy.

This is what I've tried.. I buy V8 splash juices that have carrots, beets, and other veggie juices mixed with fruit juice. I do introduce other foods, but he throws them on the floor, or ignores it.

How can I get him to eat more healthy foods? Anyone tried anything with success?
April 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have read that introducing something 12 times helps the develop a taste for it. maybe keep trying other foods but dont force the issue.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

April 26th, 2010, 02:50 AM
3preemies4me's Avatar Regular
Try it with him. See if that helps!
April 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just keep trying them. Maybe he will catch on and try it.

Maybe you can eat it with him to show that it is good.

Good Luck. I dont' have a picky eater so I have no experience with it

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
hollywoodmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice, but I have the exact same problem as you. It is the most frustrating thing in the world. I think yours even eats more than mine. The only things he will consistently eat are yogurt and applesauce.

Mom to 2 sweet boys
February 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
MustangTania's Avatar "Hope"
Wow, my son is exactly the same!! He eats the same things and will not embrace anything new. I tried giving him pears in the little fruit cups and he spit it right out. The only vegetables he eats are sweet potato fries. I guess persistence is key. Give him something over and over again until he finally eats is and enjoys it. Ugh....! LOL!!

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!**
February 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you gotten any success with him eating more?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

December 29th, 2011, 11:48 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A suggestion I've heard is to try positive peer pressure. Have some little friends over and give everyone the food, and see if watching them eat it makes him want to follow suit. Good luck! Mine is very picky too, the only fruits he'll eat are raisins and applesauce, and basically the only vegetable is brussels sprouts on occasion! (Go figure!) Oh, and he will let me sneak cooked, shredded carrots into his scrambled eggs, so long as there is cheese in them.

Have you tried sneaking things into the foods he already likes? For example, a new veggie on the pizza?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to PiXeYstyx
I'm having issues trying to get mine to eat her veggies. She used to be so good with her Baby Food veggies now I can't get her to eat any. The Dr. suggested mix it in Mashed Potatoes which she does good with, if they are in a gravy like in a pot pie, and then she loves those Fruitable Drinks. She's still picky though with some things. One thing she can love something one day and hate it another.

June 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Veteran
Very frustrating. My first was not picky - would eat anything. My second is very picky, and I did the same things with him as I did with my first, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause it, lol. Hopefully just a phase. Sometimes I think it is a control issue, as that's one of the few things they can control. I've heard that letting them cook with you or pick things out at the grocery store that they'd like to try can help. For me, it works sometimes, not others.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search