Speech Evaluation?

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
Hello ladies! My third child, a boy, is almost 18 months old. By now my other 2 kids, a boy and girl, were saying simple words like mama, dada, hi, bye, etc. But, my baby isn't! He occasionally says dada, but it's not towards my husband, it's just babbling, although he DOES know what "dada" means. He will says Hello on a phone, but it sounds nothing like the word. More like "an-ya." When I tell him to say Hot, he will sound the H out, but that's it. At his 1 yr. appt. my doctor suggested just getting him evaluated, but not to be concerned yet. My only problem is that I think he is just going at his own pace, plus it will cost us $80 to get a hearing eval. and speech eval. That's a lot of money for us just to have him evaluated when I think he just isn't into talking. He does understand EVERYTHING we say. He follows instructions very well and can use the sign for more when he wants something. He will also point to things. One day my mom was here and she casually said "well, I guess I should go" to me and my baby ran to the door! We were shocked that he picked that up cause she wasn't even talking to him, lol. I'm not too concerned, but I need opinions to feel a little better. I've heard of kids not talking until 2 or even 3 and then just taking like crazy. I hope he's just taking his time and maybe since he's the 3rd he just doesn't want to talk over everyone else, like his 4 yr. old brother who doesn't shut up!! Thanks!

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
March 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome!!!!

i have read alot of ladies on this board how their youngest takes a little longer to start talking.
and its a great sign that he understands everything.

i know one of the ladies with more then 1 child will pop in here soon with their experiences.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

March 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board.

With my son Xander he didn't talk much at all at age 18 months and well up to age 2. MY pediatrician was not concerned about it since he understood everything I said.

He is now almost 2 1/2 months and talks up a storm.

I think your son is just going on his own pace. I would go with what your gut is telling you.

Good Luck.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search