Parenting Two Girls...Advice Needed!

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
wastcougr's Avatar TTCMA as of July 2014
Hello, everyone!

This is the first time you've seen me in this forum, so don't try and figure out where I came from. :-) I normally hang out in the TTC #1 area, among others, but I'm here now for a specific question I have for all of you.

First, a little background... I'm almost 39 years old, and my DH is 42. He has a 13-year-old daughter from a previous marriage that lives with us 75% of the time. I do not have any kids of my own, and in fact I don't think it's possible for me to get PG (my gut feeling, although nothing has been proven). Anyway, I want my step-daughter to have a sister, so we became licensed foster parents for the state of Arizona. We were looking for a baby, and as such, we knew it would take a while to find one that was going to have parental rights severed. We are still waiting (and TTC in the meantime), but we have been asked to foster (and possibly adopt) a sibling group of 2 sisters - one is 5, and the other is 14 months. Here's where my questions come in...

I have never raised my own children, of course, and my step daughter was 9 when I met DH. What am I in for with having two at this age? We have a small nursery set up with a convertible crib and a dresser, and there may be room for a toddler bed in that room, too, but not a twin bed. Is that going to be OK for a while until we can get bunk beds? Can a 6-year-old climb to the top of a bunk bed safely? How do you go to the grocery store with two kids?

Any and all advice that any of you have, would be greatly appreciated. We haven't agreed to take them yet, and we know very little about their specific situation, but once we do, we'll be asked to make a decision.

Thanks all,
Christi

Me: 41 (almost), DH: 44 (He has a 15-year-old from a previous marriage)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic (27 years and counting), and I've had gastric bypass (Dec, 2013 - currently 5 lbs away from goal weight)

Started with an RE on 7/23/2014 and so far:

SA came back with 44 million, 27.3% alive
Fibroids present, endometriosis suspected
HSG normal - both tubes open

Cycle 1: August, 2014 - Unsuccessful

Cycle 2: September, 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Cycle 3: October, 2014 - Failed IUI

Cycle 4: November, 2014 - IUI (currently in the 2WW)

October 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure but this is the board for toddlers.. so we all have younger children.

I wish you luck .

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

October 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
wastcougr's Avatar TTCMA as of July 2014
Thanks for the response. I'm confused, though, because I thought 14 months old qualifies as a toddler...? And I didn't know where to post since one is a toddler (I thought) and one is older.

Thanks anyway...

Me: 41 (almost), DH: 44 (He has a 15-year-old from a previous marriage)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic (27 years and counting), and I've had gastric bypass (Dec, 2013 - currently 5 lbs away from goal weight)

Started with an RE on 7/23/2014 and so far:

SA came back with 44 million, 27.3% alive
Fibroids present, endometriosis suspected
HSG normal - both tubes open

Cycle 1: August, 2014 - Unsuccessful

Cycle 2: September, 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Cycle 3: October, 2014 - Failed IUI

Cycle 4: November, 2014 - IUI (currently in the 2WW)

October 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
I have 2 boys. One is 5yo and the other is 2yo. Is the 14 month old walking? Is the 5yo in school? Is there any medical issues? Is the 14 month old in a crib or bed?

I would not let my 5yo climb to the top bunk. Could you remove the crib and fit a double bed in there? The girls might want to sleep by each other. What about a day bed with a trundle underneath?

October 24th, 2012, 12:05 AM
softbreeze's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi! I have a four and a half year old daughter and a 18monyh old daughter. You can do it. My oldest sleeps on a top bunk loft height thing all the time in her bedroom and she manages the ladder like a pro. You could do a bunk bed and put the younger one on the bottom with a bed rail to prevent her from rolling off if space is a issue. All the other things I think will just come into place for you. The older I'm sure will want to be a big help to the younger so that always helps. Best of luck with your decision.
November 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran
I don't know but I don't think it is safe for a 6 years old be in a bunk bed., maybe you can try it when they are older.

When going to the grocery you might use a double stroller but it can be slightly limited because strollers requires space or you might also use a carrier. There are different types/kinds of carriers that you can choose....wrap/mei tai/SSC.

I am using a light weight Soft Structured Carrier (SSC), the Action Baby Carrier and it really help me specially when we are going out or in the grocery. SSC is easy to put on and doesn't need to much space like the stroller.
Your baby is 14 months so I guess a toddler carrier will already be suited for her plus it is wider and support extends to the knees compared to the regular carriers. The Action Baby toddler Carrier has a weight limit of 40lbs. What is her weight?? Hope this helps, goodluck!
February 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Weight Loss Expert
Taking care of small kids isn't really easy. But just enjoy every moment you have with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search