Very picky 1.5 year old

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I have a very picky 1.5 year old son who hardly eats. He is in the 3rd percentile for his weight to age and at a meal, he will eat a few bites and throw the rest of his food on the floor. He wants to eat by himself and won't let me feed him, even if its soup. I don't mind him eating on his own but he just ends up throwing his food on the floor. He is very picky too about what he eats.

His daily meals go like this. When he wakes he gets 5oz of milk, for breakfast he will have a few pieces of cereal or a few bites of banana. And when I eat my cereal he wants to eat the same thing, but from my bowl. If I give him the cereal I am having in a separate bowl he won't eat it. He eats lunch at daycare and they say that he usually eats well there. He has 5 oz of milk before his afternoon nap. For afternoon snack he has about 7 or 8 bite size crackers, maybe 6 grapes and a couple of bites of yogurt. For dinner he has either beans or potato and veggies and he will eat about 2 or 3 tbsps full. He has 5 oz of milk at bedtime.

I feel this is not enough food. Does anyone have advice for me?
December 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does he get any meat? My son is 3 and won't eat sometimes. Good luck

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I find that the baby food in the squeeze pouch (we use Plum Organics but lots of baby food companies make them) is something that works wonderfully for my daughter. She can eat it by herself with no help from us and she doesn't end up pouring it out and smearing it around the way she did the baby food in jars.

Also, you may want to try giving him another 4 or 5 ounces of milk sometime during the day. 15 oz seems like a very small amount of milk for a kid his age.
January 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
1. dont force him to eat more and more. he himself will come to you and ask for food when he will get hungry. his eating habbits will get better but it will take some time.
2. try somethig else he likes the most. must add egg in breakfast.
3. let him eat by himself. he will learn to eat soon. dont you worry
best of luck
queensland aged care homes

Last edited by jenny2; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
February 10th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran
I think your son is not a picky one,. my DD is the same.
In their age they only want a small amount but in a variety.
I had observe from my DD, there are foods that she likes so I will buy it for her. After few days of eating it, she wont even touch it and would go after new foods that she sees.
In the amount, my DD is eating only a few spoonful and would stop already. She is 22 months now and already giving sign when she is already full.
Small frequent feeding might help you.
Im saying this based on experienced, DD gets full easily so I just let her. but after few hours I would feed her again or give her anything to eat. Hope this helps, goodluck!!
February 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Weight Loss Expert
My son used to be like that also when he was that age. I gave him iron-based vitamins. I also feed him while he watch TV so he is destructed with something while I am slowly feeding him. It takes a lot of time though before he finish.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search