Toddler pushing kids at the gym- please help!

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A little info about him: He's a 26 month old boy who is in the 100th percentile for his age. He's very tall and looks like a 3 year old. His speech is a little delayed, but he does say a lot of things and is continually improving.

Now on to my mini crisis... This all started a week and a half ago. He was playing with his cousin (also 2) and he kept running up to her and wrapping his arms around her like he was hugging her. Instead of letting go, he would take her down with him. He did this several times and I tried explaining that this was hurting her and she wasn't having fun. Cue to last Friday at the gym. I went to pick him up after my workout and I usually ask how he was and how long he cried. Well before I could ask she mentioned that he had been pushing quite a bit. I apologized and said we will work on it. I tried to talk to him about it, but I don't know how much he understood.

Anyway so that brings us today... I dropped him off at the gym nursery and they came to get me out of my workout after 45 mins to let me know that he was pushing nonstop, and even wrapped his hands around another kids neck. I don't even know where he would learn such a thing as he is our only child. I was so humiliated. I was trying to have him tell the kids he was sorry and he wouldn't. Part of this is because of his speech delay and probably the other part because he doesn't quite get it at 26 months. The child he choked (I'm not sure if it was full on or more like a push on the neck) was telling his mom all about it and was probably a year older. All I could say was that I was sorry and that he is much bigger than he actually is. People think he is 3 all the time but he isn't even close to it. As we were walking out I could hear the mom saying things like "oh he body slammed you?" I walked out of the gym in tears.

I have never felt more humiliated in my life. I feel this is my fault. I'm a stay at home mom and have no clue what to do. I don't know where he is learning this behavior and I don't know how to curb it. Does anyone have any experience in this?

If there is another board I can post this on, please please please let me know. I would like all the advice I can get. Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search