What is it like to have multiple children?

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Hi, I am a college student doing a project on what it islike to be a parent with multiple small children. I hope to get some input andfeedback from anyone willing to respond.

How many children do you have? - what ages?

As a parent, what is your/your child's schedule like on adaily basis?

What difficulties do you run into on a daily basis? What isa constant or persistent struggle for you?

Do you have any organizational products that you use thatmake your life easier?

What needs to be better organized (in your/your child'slife), but you have not found a system that works (or works well) for you yet?

Thank you for your time
July 8th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I have twin toddlers, age 21 months. Here's our schedule:6:18 (practically on the dot, every day) twin B wakes up
7~ish twin A wakes up
7:30-8:00 breakfast
9:00-11:00~ish Play time/park/outdoor activities/errands/morning snack
11:45 lunch
12:30~ish nap
3:30~ish up from nap, watch Sesame Street or Curious George, have a snack
4:30~ish playtime with daddy while mommy makes dinner
5:30 dinner time
7:00 bath time
8:00 bed time

We couldn't afford child care anymore, so one parent is always home with them while the other is at work.

Personally, afternoons are a struggle for me because my husband and I are usually getting weary, and the toddlers are grouchy. They want to be held but it's time to make dinner and I can't hold them (especially not BOTH of them) and make dinner at the same time. Then dinner time is a struggle because they can't eat most family dinners, plus they're hungry way earlier than I can get dinner on the table for everyone else. So most nights I end up making 2 dinners- 1 for the toddlers and 1 for my husband, me, and our older child. Then when we sit down for dinner the toddlers are clawing at us for our food, which when we offer to them they don't like. So, yeah. Every day after 4 is pretty stressful around here.

One thing that makes life easier for us, having twins, is to color-coordinate and have 2 of the most popular toys. That way when one takes away her sister's ball or toy purse, we can return it to the correct toddler and offer the offender her own toy. This doesn't solve all problems because they still fight over toys that we only have 1 of, but it lessens the fighting.

I also like plates and bowls with rubber bottoms because they stick to the high chair tray.

As mentioned, the dinner routine could use some help. The pediatrician said "serve them whatever you're having for dinner", but the majority of nights they don't like it, or they would need to be spoonfed (like soups and chilis, casseroles, rice), which means that daddy and I can't eat our own dinner. They are still learning to feed themselves, so it just makes life easier if their dinner is something they don't need help with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search