Daycare reporting question...don't know what to do.

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions on this issue I am facing.
My 18 month old son has been going to the same daycare every week since March, and they have always been on top of things in the past. The daycare is paid by the State, and I had toured many other options before deciding on this one due to the others not being clean or having a good vibe.

Well, yesterday I picked my son up from the daycare, drove him home, and when I got him out of his car seat I noticed a mark on his arm by his wrist. It was red and almost looked like he had just rested on something to make a strange imprint. I touched it and he didn't flinch and his daycare never said anything, so we carried on our day.

Fast forward to today....I picked him up from daycare and his morning teacher was still there getting her daughter. She didn't say one word to me. She looked down at the floor as she walked out of the building past me which hindsight was weird. The director was talking with a friend about her ex-husband not wanting to watch her kids and then quickly told me that my son was in another room today. Nothing about an incident. So, I go into the other classroom and the afternoon teacher says he had a good day, handed me his daily update sheet with just your usual things, and away we went home.

I took his shirt off at home so he could have his dinner and I was shocked to find what looked like a welt on his back the size of a quarter. I start to panic and rest him on my lap for a closer look. I noticed little teeth like marks and then next to it was a big red welt. When I would lightly touch it his back will contort in pain. I quickly called his daycare to see what was going on and the director answered saying "Oh, yeah I forgot to tell you that a child has been biting him these past few days, and the teacher was changing another toddler's diaper when these child clamped onto my son's back with his teeth. The teacher ran over to him and tried to get this kid's teeth out his back but pulling him back caused the welt.

I guess the director told this child's mother that if he bites again he will have to leave, but I am furious that they have known about these injuries but didn't tell me!! What should I do? I feel so lost. I wish I could just yank him out and keep him home.
July 27th, 2014, 03:22 AM
neji's Avatar Veteran
I'm not sure what state you're in, but this seems wrong. They should tell you when you walk through the door and fill out an incident report! I worked at a daycare for a while and we would check each child at the start of the day for bruises and cuts. We'd note those in the child's daily log. If the child fell, what's hit or bitten during the day we comforted the child and then filled out an incident report stating what happened when and the resulting injury. We kept a copy and a copy was also sent home with the parents. We also verbally described the incident and answered any questions. If I were you I too would be absolutely livid! I'd also be wondering what else they could be hiding. Biting is major and not to even mention it and have your child go through multiple bites on a daily basis is absolutely wrong!
Bumps, bruises and occasional bites are expected but things were not handled well. I wish I knew how to report a daycare or even if it's mandatory for centers to report accidents when they happen.
If this is the best option in the area, maybe you could give them a warning and let them know you want to know on pick up what, if anything, happened during the day.
July 27th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Our daycare will report every incident. So much so that we had to ask them to stop calling us. Obviously if it were something very serious we still wanted to be notified but they always had a written report to give us. I would be concerned that not only was no report written the staff avoided you entirely. Since they are paid by the State (we participate in a state program as well) perhaps you could call your social services case worker and find out what you could do about this.
July 28th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Super Mommy
Our daughter was bitten twice. The first time left a mark and the child was removed from the daycare. WE received an incident report. The second time didnt leave a mark but we still received an incident report (child wasnt removed because this was his first time to bite). We also received an incident report when she fell and got a bruise. There have been other times where they have told us that she has a bruise but they didnt see what happened so there was no incident report (kids do get bruised)

Tags
biting , daycare , furious , incident , no report

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search