At what age do you think it is good to start potty training?

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I was just wondering when to start potty training with Natalie. She is 13 months right now. I know a few of my friends have started it when their toddlers were about 16-18 months. When did you start if you have already got to this point?

August 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
GracieNAmelia'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to GracieNAmelia'sMommy
I was a preschool teacher of kids 2-3. Don't rush them but I would say 2 1/2 is a great age to start. They can really strat grasping it by then Good luck

August 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to ziggy1989 Send a message via Yahoo to ziggy1989
my little girl is just 3 now. and i just got her daytime potty trained. She wasnt really interested so yes i would wait until she is ready. you will know by just asking her if she wants to pee in the potty. tell her she is going to be a big girl like her mommy one day and that will get her interested. tell her her diapers are almost gone and introduce her to underwear. toddlerslike new things. give it a try. GOOD LUCK!

thank you mandy for my BEAUTIFUL siggy
August 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think younger than 2 is just wasting you time, and pushing it on them honestly. They can't grasp the idea yet, and it's more work for you to "make" them go on the potty. I think 2 1/2 years if when they finally will start understanding it, and it will be easier. My Ped. says don't even start trying till around their 2nd birthday, anything younger is just too difficult for them to comprehend.

Ashley,doula and busy mom to:
Brianne 11
Colin 10
Kylie 9
Bryson 7
Noah 5

August 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Jamie V.'s Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I was a preschool teacher of kids 2-3. Don't rush them but I would say 2 1/2 is a great age to start. They can really strat grasping it by then Good luck[/b]
Ditto.

My Zack just started and is doing really great!! Jack still isn't sure about it. He gets on the potty, and looks at me and says, 'It's stuck!' LOL

Jack and Zack - twins born via c-section on Dec. 4th 2004:

And Kaitlyn Marie:

Our cute pictures!</div>
August 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Well, Connor's my first so I don't really have any experience with this. I just know he's nowhere near ready. So it's not even on my radar at the moment. I'll wait until he understands and can tell me when he has to go. Right now he doesn't even care if his diaper's dirty so I know it's a long way off for us.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well, Connor's my first so I don't really have any experience with this. I just know he's nowhere near ready. So it's not even on my radar at the moment. I'll wait until he understands and can tell me when he has to go. Right now he doesn't even care if his diaper's dirty so I know it's a long way off for us.[/b]

August 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
Matilda seemed ready at 18 months. We gave it a go and it progressed much quicker than we had expected. By 20 months she was toilet trained both at day and nighttime.

We thought she was ready because she:

was uncomfortable in a dirty nappy and came to ask us to change it (it got to the point where she'd hold it because she didn't want to be in a dirty nappy)
could go dry for 3-4 hours at a time
would tell us she wanted to go, either with words or facial expressions

ETA: We also praised her (and had Rory praise her too) every time she went in the toilet. She loved the attention and looked very proud of her accomplishment.
August 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Mama to 5 girls and 1 boy
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
My first we started at 16mo and by 18mo she stopped then by 20mo we had her started and now she usually stays clean through the day but at night still wears pull ups, my second is 13mo and we are considering starting now b/c starting later rather then earlier with my first daughter was a bad idea b/c by 18mo I had my second and when my second is 18mo I will be having this baby so we thought starting now might be easier on her.

I think as soon as they can walk they can at least start learning about the potty.
Karrara 10 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 1/2 07/01/06, Kayda 7 01/12/08
Katara 3 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13, Kannon 3wks 02/21/15

August 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hart_N_Sole
Connor is 15 months old, and he has ceased wetting his diapers at night (which is nice!) .... We know he isn't ready quite yet, but we bought a potty from Walmart and have shown it to him, so he sees it on a daily basis when he takes his bath, and will be used to it when it's time to start training. I'm hoping between 18-24 months he'll be good to go... Fingers crossed!
August 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Lydata's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lydata
I have kinda started Gloria to Potty Train because I thought she was showing interest. She has been doing this off and on for a few months.
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">Madeline410 (JM board)</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search