Does your toddler talk?

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your toddler?
When did he/she start saying real words?
How many words is your toddler using now?

Sean is 22 months old, and he still isn't talking. He can say mama and dada, but he doesn't regularly use them. I know he can say other things, because sometimes we hear things that sound like hi, hat, jack, etc. But he doesn't want to talk, especially if we try to coax him into it.

On the other hand, his receptive language skills are excellent. He understands so much and can identify a bunch of body parts, pictures in books, etc. His doctor said that he may just take after me (I didn't talk until I was 2), so she wasn't concerned at our last visit. But I think that we will be seeing a speech therapist if he isn't talking by his 2nd b-day.

August 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM
** Mandy **

Ally will be 18 months tomorrow. She says mommy, daddy, doggie, thank you, night-night (which means going to bed or her blanket), me-me (her pacifier, learned from a little girl at daycare), hi, bye, ba-ba (bottle -> sippy cup), bubble, ball. I think that is it.

August 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hart_N_Sole
How old is your toddler? 15 months.

When did he/she start saying real words? Oh, probably about 10 months. Just "dada" though.

How many words is your toddler using now? Two... "dad" & "dog". He occasionally will say something else, but it's very rare.
August 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM
GracieNAmelia'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to GracieNAmelia'sMommy
How old is your toddler? 14 months.

When did he/she start saying real words? She said, "Mama" at 3 months. She Really started saying lots at 8 months. Mama, Dada, whats that, dog, baba, papa, and some others

How many words is your toddler using now? 8-10

August 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your toddler? 13 months
When did he/she start saying real words? She will say a lot of things but they are all just one worrds now... Mama, Dada, Bottle, Bye, Ball, uh oh, sis ( sissy)
How many words is your toddler using now?about 20 or so

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
August 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son is 25 months old and does not say a word. Not mama nor dada or anything. He's being sent for autism testing in November but it's very unlikely that he is autistic because there are no other signs of autism. My family doctor j=believes he's just a late talker. He understands everything we tell him/ask him to do and he react to things. He can hear just fine and knows how to tell us what he wants in his own way (bringing us to the fridge means he wants a drink or he'll bring us an empty sippy cup). We're not concerned. He's smart and funny and sweet. We speak 2 languages at home and that may be why his speech is slow to come in.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
August 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your toddler? almost 19 months
When did he/she start saying real words? at about 14 months he said his first real word...dirt
How many words is your toddler using now? he says about 6 words now.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

August 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia's almost 15 months and she talks up a storm. She's been talking (well, saying mama and dada) forever now. She says all kinds of words:
hi
bye
dada
katie and kylie (our dogs)
shoe
sit
good girl
uh oh
no
more
mama
hello
Elmo
She says other stuff, but I can't think of it now... She understands everything you say too. I really have to watch my mouth now, or I'm going to get in trouble! LOL!
Jess

August 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your toddler? 14 months
When did he/she start saying real words? 9-10 months
How many words is your toddler using now? mama, daddy/dada, baby, batman, hi, hello, thank you, bubble

August 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Connor barely speaks. I think he's up to 5 words now. Like Sean though, his receptive language far exceeds his expressive language.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
How old is your toddler? 25 months

When did he/she start saying real words? Honestly I can't remember

How many words is your toddler using now? Too many to count, BUT he rarely says any of them on his own. If I ask him to repeat something, he will. Many of the babies in my PR have toddlers that are the same age and they talk in sentences so it is a bit worrisome but I'm sure he'll start talking when he's ready.

He didn't sit unassisted until 9 months, didn't crawl until a year and didn't walk until 16 months so he's always been a bit behind. But, he knows his colors, can say most of them, can recognize all body parts and shapes and understands EVERYTHING I say to him.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
How old is your toddler? 14 months tomorrow
When did he/she start saying real words? Her first word was hi at 5 months, but started to talk more at about 9 months
How many words is your toddler using now? 10-15
Hi, Bye, Mommy, Daddy, Anda(Amanda, my sister), Jack, tickle, no, nana(Banana), and a couple others that I can't think of right now.

Natalie's doctor told me that the average 1 year old only knew about 3-5 words, so she was doing good.

August 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
kmath's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kmath
How old is your toddler? 23 months
When did he/she start saying real words? 15 months
How many words is your toddler using now? More than I can count. He is almost talking in complete sentences. He understands everything I say and can point out things in books even if he can't say the word.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search