Have to get rid of the binky

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
ok so i have decided it is time for the stupid binky to hit the road. Alayna never sleeps through the night and 9 times out of 10 she's up cause she has lost the bink. we tried the clips and she just pulls them off. she is soooo attatched i don't want to traumatize her. she walks around all day with itin her mouth and if she does not have it she cries for it. I think it has a lot to do with why she is not talking also. she tries to say stuff but it's always stuck in her mouth. i just was wondering what you guys have done if you have had the same problems in the past. i need ideas...she is my first to even take a pacifier and ya better believe the last this baby will not get one!
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I'm having a hard time getting the bottle away. Cause they were premies I've let them have them longer than they should. I thought maybe they needed it longer. They use them as a binkie. They stopped taking the binkie when their teeth started coming in, though they never really liked them and use to get mad when they figured out that nothing was going to come out of it. I've decided I'm going to start with taking it away during the day. We're going to try that, but let them have it at night. We move next month, and I don't want to traumatize them with a new home and no bottle, so I plan to wait until we've been there a week or two and they are settled, then I'm taking it away completely. I figure the first week is going to be tough and they are going to scream and cry and no one is going to get any sleep. Then hopefully they will learn how to get back to sleep on their own and will start sleeping through the night. I usually don't go for the letting them cry it out, but we can't go on like this. We all need to get a good nights sleep. So that is my plan. I have no idea if its going to work, but I figure its worth a try.
December 10th, 2004, 07:03 PM
That's my thing i NEED a good nights sleep. This kid is almost 2 years old and i am up with her sometimes 6 times a night, and soon i am gonna have a newborn up all night i just need some sleep before this baby gets here.. i have tried putting her in bed with us and thats a no go. she plays and i don't think it is wise to start that at her age it would have been fine if that how it always was. ***sigh*** Dh has night duty tonight and i hope she does not wake me up.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I Heart 4x4
With Danny and his binky ... I just went cold turkey when he was 6 months old. I hate seeing kids walking around with binkies past the age of 1 ... thats JMHO though! I just completely took it away one day and after a day or so he didn't even notice it.

With the bottle issue ... Danny was 18 months old (and not a preemie) when I took it away. That was a bit more difficult, it took a couple of weeks. But, I stopped giving it to him during the day and I really pushed the tippy cup!

Good luck!
December 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Rylee'sMommy03's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Rylee'sMommy03
I've heard of people cutting the tips off the binkies. It seems to have worked for them. Good luck.
December 10th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Ohhh i might try that!!!! Thanks Rayanne.

I hate seeing older kids walking around with binkies too that irks me. most of the time if we are out i will take it away and try to occupy her with something else. doesn't always work though. I just don't have the heart to take it away cold turkey! I am such a sucker. She's very babyfied!!!
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are still stuck with the binky also But, we have taken it away from Ben during the day. He asks for it when he goes to sleep. I'm not looking forward to it either.

I'd love to know how it goes if you cut the tips off!

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
December 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM
twinsmom26
We just took it away from the twins during the day and let them sleep with the binkies (they are off them now). The binkies arent going to hurt anything and if that's how a kid finds comfort in their sleep then I wouldnt worry about it. The doctor told me the same thing. Have your tried letting her cry it out? I'm sure she would figure out real fast how to find that binky, lol! I just think that taking away the binky when she has such a hard time sleeping might be to much on her. First I would let her figure out how to put herself back to sleep before taking away her form of comfort. I hate to see kids running around with binkies, too, but there is nothing wrong with a small child wanting to sleep with one. Try taking it away during the day and let her cry it our for a while and then after a few months take the binkie away cold turkey.

Mason found one of his old binkies the other day and threw a fit, because I wouldnt let him sleep with it. Finally I gave in and gave it to him and he slept like a baby. While he was sleeping I took it away and he forgot all about it. The twins were 2.5 before I took the binkies away completely. I just think that your going to make things a lot harder on the both of you if you take away the binky for bedtime right now.
December 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM
mom22boyz
With Mathew, he was probably 3 before we got rid of the binky, he talked fine, granted he tried talking with it in his mouth, but I would tell him he had to take it out if he wanted to talk. Eventually, we left it under his pillow for the binky fairy to come take it and of course he was left a dollar...it was his decision when to give it up!

Now with Justin who is 2, he still uses his, mostly to sleep & when he is being fussy. I try to take it out unless one of those two things are going on. He also doesn't talk and some people might say that is why, but Mathew was never like that and probably used the binky more! I have also heard some people will make them trade the binky for a toy or something!!
December 11th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I Heart 4x4
I just remembered with my neice, she still used hers until she was like 15 or 16 months .. the second they took it out, within hours I think, she started saying more words instead of garbled nonsense. I think it impeeds speech development, JMHO!

Any kid that asks for a binky is WAY too old to have one! JMHO!
December 12th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can relate to this thread!

Leah has had a word "susu" since she was 10 months old for her soother. Regardless of the soother she was a very early talker. We got her off the breast/bottle completely at 12 months and now she finds security in her "susu".

She mainly has it for bed but if she happens to find/see one she throws a fit. When she's teething I don't dare take it away from her!!!

I may try cutting them, that's a good idea!
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a></div>

<div align="center"></a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"></div>
December 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM
I would not care at all for her to have it at night if she slept through the night...but she doesn't and we can onlylet her cry for so long cuz she wakes up the other kids who have school the next day.

Today is Day One of getting rid of binky....she is only going to get it inthe bed. We'll see how that works out. It will probably be fine until daddy comes home. He 's more of a sucker than i am.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 13th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Let us know how it goes!! And good luck!!
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a></div>

<div align="center"></a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"></div>
December 13th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Jenni's Avatar Super Mommy
This is what a friend did with her two children and now I recommend it in our dental office. ( They can give children an open bite)
Explain that it is time for the "Binky Fairy" (or whatever name you choose!) to come and pick them up for new babies that are being born. Buy or make a special bag or box with the child and have them put the binky in it for the fairy to pick up that night. Some people have even celebrated the event with a cake!
Seems to work though, the children feel like they are doing something so special and that they are grown up! Best of luck to you!
December 13th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Veteran
Hi there,

I am a mom of a six year old who had his "plug" until he was almost 5. (I personally had my bottle until I was 7-- so I guess I was kinda lienent (sp?)

What we did was at 3 I told him he couldn't take it out of the house, then I told him he could only have it in his room, then he could only have it at night. The last thing I did was that he had a choice he could either sleep with his light on or have his "plug". He chose to have the light on so no more plug. Now he sleeps with his light off as well .

Just cause we waited so long to start this doesn't mean that you have to.

This works with lots of things, and it doesn't make you feel mean for taking it aways completely.

I cut the tips off some of his but then at midnight after hours of crying I broke down and went to Wal-mart to get another one... I know I'm a softy! I was also pretty young, believe me with my next one.... I'll do things differently.

As for the talking- I wouldn't listen to my son if he had his "plug" in, if he wanted something he would have to take it out to ask... and I wouldn't pay attention to grunts or points, he had to ask "like a big boy"

LG
December 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Day One went well.....the only time she got her binky all day was in her bed at nap and bed time. not bad for her. she asked for it a couple of times but I told her she could have it in the bed. so we'll see how that goes tommorow. then i have to decide the next goal. hmmmm
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wooo Hoooo!!! Awesome!!

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
December 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Well, to get it away from DD, I tried cutting off the ends, but she would pull it out look at it stick it back in and go on. It just ticked her off when I completely cut it off. What ended up working with us, is that she had went to the zoo and was totally in love with the tigers. When we got home, we took all paci's away from. When she started asking for them, we just told her that the tiger got them. She then asked for the back up paci and went to where that was at and seen it was gone and she said that the tiger got that one too. She did just fine with it then. I tried and tried to get it away from her. That was the only thing that worked.
December 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Pauba
Hi! Lurking here. Just wanted to say I hope it goes smoothly. I had a hard time w/ Sean (who is almost 3). Think it took us like 2mos. But that is because I did it very slowly. It was only this time last yr I did so. He had no prob letting the bottle go at the age of 1 (never did get formula out fast enough to suit him we gave him a sippy), I just stopped that as soon as he was one he never looked back. His bink was a whole other story. He was an early teether (3mos) and that is all that helped him w/ that. Granted we never had a prob w/ him sleeping with or w/o. If he woke up (when he was older) he'd find it on his own. This is how I did it:

~I first started taking it away during the day when he put it down I'd pick it up. Wash it and leave it in the dish drain. He learned that's where mommy put it for safe keeping.
~I kept a couple chewed up ones that he didn't like to use. I used those in the car and took a 911 reg bink to daycare for naps and extreme fussiness.
~In the car I just delt w/ the crying. Told him mommy was not going to stop to retrieve a binky when he really didn't need it. I'd talk whether he answered or not.
In the afternoons he'd just fall asleep for the ride home. Mornings usually weren't that bad. Maybe 10-15min of crying.
~Everytime at home he put it down I'd put it up.
~On a shelf above his bed I kept one for bedtime.
~I'd put him down w/ a story and his song and his bink.
~A couple weeks later I started to not give it to him at bed time unless he was extremely fussy.
~A week or so later we were at Mom's house and he wanted to stay the night. At that time I had stopped taking binks w/ us. Told her he didn't have a b-i-n-k. She jokingly said go get one I'll give u money. He did fine w/o it.
~Then at Halloween Mom watched him while I went out w/ a friend. She did not know where his binks were (mostly cause I 4got to tell her). She said he went to bed w/o it. Told her if he had wanted it he would have showed her where at least one was. That night I tossed out the two remaining ones. I do not recall if he ever noticed after that. I don't think he did. Guess he just realized he was fine w/o it.

So far DD has not gotten as attached to hers. She's a pretty content little thing. She rarely takes it. Mostly only if I have just nursed her and she wants to comfort suck and if she is overtired. But who knows once those teeth start coming. Hope this helps u or ne1 else. It broke my heart to take away his last comfort item but at the same time he had Annie a stuffed lamb and CoCo a stuffed dog. He still sleeps w/ those but they are mostly off to the side. I think having them helped to give up bink. The lamb has been w/ him since b4 he was born and Uncle Chris gave him CoCo when we were visiting him in Nov/Oct of last yr.
December 22nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
AuntieFromBama
I love the idea of the Binkie Fairy.

Thankfully, my sister never let her children have binkies. She tried them for comfort sucking after BF and none of them would take to it.

But a friend of mine, her little girl was going on 4 and still had it. She got really sick like with the flu or something and her mother told her that the binkie was what made her so sick. She never wanted it again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search