Temper tantrums

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yep that's right and I havent even hit the terrible 2's. If he wants to be carried some where or I take away something he's not supposed to have he sits and lies on the floor. Then flairs his legs in the air while whining. I usually ignore him. But this is getting old fast and I'm sure it will only get worse.

December 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ben went through his before he was 2 also.

I was able to figure out his triggers tho. He did throw fits when something was taken away, but with him, it was due to something else. He was usually hungry or sleepy. I don't know if he was going through a growth spurt or was just being a booger.

Have you tried distracting him with a different toy or a different activity? Tantrums are the worst!!!

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
December 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
Oy.. I remember tantrums

Crista quit fast because she found out quick thats NOT what gets her what she wants. When she first started throwing tantrums... I just walk away and ignore it (ONLY if we are at home) and she stops real quick because I didn't acknowledge it in any way.

When out in public its another story. I get down on my knees and take her hands in mine and tell her that she needs to relax so we can talk about it. I make her breath in real deep and blow it out with me and say R-e-l-a-x as we are blowing out. I make sure my eye level is equal to hers because they they dont feel like you are lecturing or anything, your right on the same level as them. Then I calmly tell her that we do not act this way in the store. That this is bad behavior and she needs to stop. I ask her why shes upset and we find a way to resolve it. We've been doing this since before Crista was 18 months and it works great for us. As long as YOU stay calm and dont react to the actual tantrum... they will stop. Bribing them is NOT a good way to handle it because in their toddler minds that is telling them that if they act that way.. they'll get something out of it.

</div>
December 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM
mom22boyz
Justin does the same thing, when he doesn't get what he wants, he usually turns around, falls to the floor and cries, I usually ignore him and he quits within a few minutes or I try to find out what he is upset about, but since he doesn't talk yet that is hard to do!!
December 29th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I've got the same problem. Mine scream though. They lay on the floor and just scream. I ignored it too. But mom said to pick him up, put him in his crib and shut the door. Like a time out. He would get the message. I leave him 2-3 minutes or until the screaming has calmed down. I've only done it once so I don't know if its going to work or not.
December 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
I know exactly how you feel. my son just turned two this christmas and he has been throwing these temper tantrums since he could walk. its worse now that his sister has been born. she is 4 months old. my mom keeps saying it will get better but right now im not sure i believe her
December 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM
CindyLou
Elias has starting throwing himself on the floor, or arching his back so it's hard to hold him. Thank god I don't have screaming yet. I also leave him once I safely place him on the floor usually face down and walk away. It doesn't last long at all BUT it is happening more frequently . Maybe that's b/c XMAS wore him out
Who Knows!
December 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I Heart 4x4
Danny screams, flails ... then looks at me and says "okay?"

He doesn't do it in public all too often. When he does, we take him outside until he's done.
January 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM
Veteran
My son freaks out over a lot of things...way more than my daughter ever did. I often wonder if boys are more prone to that?
January 1st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
OMG Em is the Queen of them!! she has them about every hour and when she does She runs after me and Hits me, Kicks me and Pulls my hair if she can!!
If things are nother way All HE$$ brakes loose!!!
I was told I have a spirited child!! oh man is she ever!!!
January 3rd, 2005, 06:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Is it sad that Owen has started already. He's only 11 months. He throws himself on the floor and whins and screams. Then he sits up and just looks at me with those "I want to kill you eyes" and screams as loud as he possibly can. He does it if I take something away or I'm trying to get him to go to sleep. He's a stinker.
January 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM
twinsmom26
The twins were really bad with tantrums until I started cracking down on their little butts (no not hitting). I just pick them up and put them in their room until they are done. They can stress themselves out all they want over nothing, but I refuse to let them stress me out anymore. Oh and I give them a tissue and tell them to wipe the tears because I dont want to hear it. Amazingly this works for them, lol!!
January 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
With Whitney, we had the same as you, early terrible 2's, then we had the actual terrible 2's, and now we are continuing the terrible 2's. I guess someone forgot to tell her that once she turned 3 that she was supposed to stop!!

Matthew is doing some royal tantrums now. He is a big bully! Beats up on Whit. He is hitting and pinching. When he hits, I get his hand and hold it for a second or 2 and tell him no. I let go, and we repeat the hold and no. I have to do that at least 4 or 5 times before he melts down and either crys or throws himself on the floor!

All I had to do to Whitney is to tell her no and that little lip would come out and she would cry and cry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search