does it get any easier?

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
I have a 2 year old that can throw a fit like you would not believe. he even gets violent with us at times. does any one have any advice? nothing seems to work
December 29th, 2004, 02:11 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine just started these. He's 14 months. I usually just ignore it. And he stops. We havent had any in public yet, thank goodness.

December 29th, 2004, 02:26 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerJ1029@Dec 29 2004, 05:11 PM
Mine just started these.* He's 14 months.* I usually just ignore it.* And he stops.* We havent had any in public yet, thank goodness.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
usually he is really good in public but he's learning that you cant have everything you want when you want it and he is having a very hard time
January 1st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Veteran
My son, 17 months, has some major tantrums, but he's in speech therapy and they are less frequent now. My daughter, 2.75, screams more than anything when she's mad. It's those blood-curdling screams, too. Ugh!
January 4th, 2005, 01:28 AM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Quote:
does it get any easier?, tantrums[/b]
I was told "Terribles Twos" were nothing compared to the "Terrifying Threes". However, it does get a little better before they become teenagers LOL. My advice to you is what I do to my sweetheart who has her tantrums, I first ask her why she is acting that way (she's now 2.5 yrs old) she is verbal so she CAN tell me. If she refuses to stop she has to go in her room and have that tantrum because Mommy doesn't want to see it. By the time she runs into her room, lets a scream or two out she comes back out "as if nothing happened" because she doesn't want to be stuck in her room. If she has her tantrums in public, I walk away she runs to me, I go no don't follow me if you gotta act that way. Guess what? She stops. Now if your little one isn't verbal or doesn't walk very well. I will let him have his tantrum but as the Mom don't let it "bother" you. And when he is about done you can say are ready now to.... whatever caused the tantrum the 1st place. And hopefully he will realize by doing that tantrum did not do anything for him other than "hurt" himself maybe. It is a phrase unfortunately and some parents get it worse than others. I hope you can let him know who is boss and that he cannot always get what he wants.very quick. ;-)

-Dori
January 4th, 2005, 01:34 AM
supernatural's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to supernatural
I have two toddlers both at different stages though. Madeleine is 2 years 9 months and George is 1 year 10 months. Madeleine does have terrible tantrums but I've noticed they are starting to get less as we either ignore her or if she has done something bad she has time out. George is much worse as he throws himself so we are starting the same treatment with him.

Host to Close Pregnancies and Potty Training.
January 4th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Ignoring does not work for me. It doesn't stop the tantrum and it actually gets worse. Then one hears the other and joins in, then I've got it in stereo. Talking doesn't do any good either. They aren't verbal for one plus they're stubborn. Nikolas has 3 things he cannot stay out of. And he already knows he's going to get a "no". I have tried to explain to him gently why not, I've raised my voice, you name it. When he knows he's caught he looks at me the second I stand up, starts yelling at me and even hitting me. So I don't say anything, I immediately pick him up, take him upstairs put him in his crib and leave him there for 5 minutes. I make sure he has a toy and the lights are on at night. But he sets there for 5 minutes. And when either of them have a screaming fit I do this. It was my mothers suggestion. I have no idea if its going to work, I just started, but she thinks they'll get the idea that the screaming and such is not acceptable. They sure don't like it though so it just might work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search