newly developed sleep problem w/19 mos. old

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Forgive me for the length of this, but I'm new to this boardand I frantically searched for a forum like this because I am beside myself with my 19 month old daughters new sleep patterns. She used to sleep GREAT, I would put her down with little fuss, sometimes she would cry a little, but not very hard, and eventually fall asleep. The past month or so, she started a wierd thing where she was actually throwing up when I put her in her crib (I blamed it on overfeeding, or too much milk before bed, combined with being hysterical crying). Since then, I've been afraid to let her 'cry it out' for fear she might vomit. that has only happend 5 times this past month, but over Christmas, we had to go out of town and stay with the in-laws, she did NOT want to have anything to do with her port-a-crib there (3 months earlier, she slept great in it) she threw up twice the first night when I tried to put her down, so I decided she would have to sleep with us. She had NEVER done that before last week. For only four nights she slept with us, and I would have to lay down with her for naps as well. We've been back for 7 nights now, and she is still soo hysterical every time I try to put her down (only at night, for naps, she goes down much easier), I am beside myself. We are getting no sleep, and she just wants to sleep in our bed( which I refuse to let her do, I know once I start, there is NO going back!). Is this a phase? When will it end? Does this mean she's ready for a big girl bed? any suggestions?

Any books anyone can suggest to get me through this? It is starting to stress me out, and I dread bedtime for her. I am due in July with our second, and I was hoping to get all the sleep I could until then!

Thanks in advance!
January 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to JM! Congrats on your pregnancy

I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of suggestions since I dont know what you have tried. My son also refuses to sleep in the portacrib at the in-laws and sleeps in bed with us so you're not the only one with that problem.

Have you tried a "lovie"? You know something she can get attached to like a blankie or stuffed animal? My son has one with satin trim. He loves it. After I wash it I wear it around the house so by the time he gets it back in bed with him it smells like me.

What about a white noise machine? We have to use one for my son to drowned out the noise of the neighbors walking around--the walls are paper thin in our apt.

What about a womb/heartbeat bear? Its a stuffed animal that plays the heartbeat/womb noise. This might be comforting because it might sound like you are nearby.

Do you have a set bedtime routine and time? For example my son always goes to bed around 7:30 give or take how tired he is. Before bed he gets a bath then plays quitely with DH or I. Then at bedtime he gets a bottle of warm milk. I sing him 1 song while rocking him then put him down in bed. I then put soft music on that has a timer.

I hope you figure something out. Try not to get frustrated because kids can pick up on these things and get more upset. Good luck!

January 3rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your quick response! All your suggestions were great, however we do all of that before bedtime. My daughter has her lovies, her animals, her books, etc. that she sleeps with. We have the same routine every night, stories, kisses, soothing music. This is a new development with an 'old' routine! I used to give her milk before bed, but after she started throwing up, I switched it to water, hoping that would help. Tonight her cries lasted only 20 mins, and then she fell asleep, but then she woke up after 20 mins, and screamed again for 10 mins. I didn't get her, but it is killing me! I feel like she is trying to 'ferberize' ME, instead of the opposite, I am slowly losing my resolve and I'm ready to give in to her!

Quote:
Originally posted by TylerJ1029@Jan 3 2005, 08:52 PM
Welcome to JM!* Congrats on your pregnancy

I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of suggestions since I dont know what you have tried.* My son also refuses to sleep in the portacrib at the in-laws and sleeps in bed with us so you're not the only one with that problem.

Have you tried a "lovie"?* You know something she can get attached to like a blankie or stuffed animal?* My son has one with satin trim.* He loves it.* After I wash it I wear it around the house so by the time he gets it back in bed with him it smells like me.

What about a white noise machine?* We have to use one for my son to drowned out the noise of the neighbors walking around--the walls are paper thin in our apt.

What about a womb/heartbeat bear?* Its a stuffed animal that plays the heartbeat/womb noise.* This might be comforting because it might sound like you are nearby.

Do you have a set bedtime routine and time?* For example my son always goes to bed around 7:30 give or take how tired he is.* Before bed he gets a bath then plays quitely with DH or I.* Then at bedtime he gets a bottle of warm milk.* I sing him 1 song while rocking him then put him down in bed.* I then put soft music on that has a timer.*

I hope you figure something out.* Try not to get frustrated because kids can pick up on these things and get more upset.* Good luck!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
January 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe instead of ferberizing and ignoring all her cries try this: Do the bedtime routine put her down and leave the room. After 5 mins of crying return, soothe her, sing a song. Dont give her too much stimulation just let her know you love her and you are there for her. Leave the room again. Then let her cry for 10 mins. Return soothe etc, Repeat. I hope maybe that'll work for you.

January 4th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Sweet Louison's Avatar Veteran
i have never had this problem with my boys.....(praying i never do) but I read parts of Healthy sleep habits, Healthy child and one thing i remember the dr. saying, for kids that are used to sleeping with you, is to make a slow transition to sleeping by his/herself...i know you don't normally let her sleep with you but it may work for this fear she is having right now...he said to sit in the room until they fall asleep...make reassuring noises telling htem you are there ect. and if it is better the next night move your chair closer to the door. and eventually out the door..maybe that would help her get over her fear ( just as a side note it as been a while since i read this and could have it a little wrong, but i still think it could work)

the only other thing would be like a pp said and go in there and soothe her without picking her up every so many minutes...

HTH

Hollie
January 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Hollie,

Thanks for your suggestion, I had forgotten all about the 'Healthy Sleep Habits' book that had got me through some early rough spots when she was 5-6 months old, that book was like my bible then. I am searching for it now and hopefully I will gain my confidence back. Tonight wasn't too bad, she only cried for 10 mins, and it was a weak, tired cry. It is slowly getting better.

Thanks for your help!

L.
January 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Sweet Louison's Avatar Veteran
i am glad it seemed better tonight...hopefully you are working through it...sleep problems are a pain...we just switched my 21mo old to a toddler bed due to the new baby coming in a few months ...and he does well at night...it is too dark to do to much else...but naptime can be a nightmare...he has realized he has the ability to get out and play and boy he would rather do that...so i am having sleep stuff over here too and i feel your pain...LOL oh well it will get better...it will get better...hehehe...

Hollie
January 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Have you though of this cuz my daughter did that when her molars were coming in.....JMO

January 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I never thought it might be her molars, that makes me feel better, kinda. how long could that last?

Also, any advice about transfering to a big girl bed? is 19/20mos. to young? she hasn't made any attempts to climb out, but we will be needing her crib after the baby comes...well, a couple months after that. maybe I should introduce the bed now.....?

My hormones are making me question every decison these days, I can't make up my mind at all!!!

Leslie

Quote:
Originally posted by MomsLilGal03@Jan 5 2005, 11:32 PM
Have you though of this cuz my daughter did that when her molars were coming in.....JMO
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
January 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
You might want to introduce it before the baby gets here so she does not feel like the baby is taking her bed. or maybe just wait and get another. I am having the same problem b/c I am not sure what to do about alayna and her bed.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
January 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Well are you havinr them in the same room? If not take the matteress out of the crib and put it on on the floor and tell him or her that this is the BIG GIRL or BIG BOY way!!! Just start doing it with nap times and then slowly in the night time!! JMO here too!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search