EEK HELP!!

Forum: Moms of Toddlers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Toddlers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Okay, so Owen is driving me nuts. He won't go to sleep, even when he's tired. I always rocked him to sleep. But, now if I try, he just screams and kicks and pulls hair. So I won't put up with that, so I put him on the floor to let out his temper tantrum. Then, he kicks and screams on the floor. Yesterday, he fell asleep on the floor during this time. Now, he's in his crib because he kept doing it and I want him to figure out how to go to bed on his own.

How can I get him to just go to his crib and go to sleep without the tantrums? Do you still rock your children to sleep? What age did you stop? Oh I need help on this one. He needs to stop this because when I'm not home, Hal will just let him scream in his crib for an hour. He's still in there now, he was playing and now he's mad again.

Oh, I'll go give the rocking a try again and see if that helps. SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!
January 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I Heart 4x4
First off ((hugs)). Danny is a hair puller too. When he starts to pull a tantrum, I get up and walk away. I let him cry, I let him kick, scream and flail at the floor. Eventually he just gives up and becomes a normal kid again. I've heard over and over that this is the best approach, because they'll learn tantrums will not get you anything.

I've never really had a problem with Danny going to bed on his own - a nap or at night. I make sure he's freshly changed, really full and had a nice cup of warm milk and he's *usually* out like a light. Some nights, I just turn his TV on, turn his light off and tell him I'm tired and going to bed. He usually follows suit within a few minutes. I never rocked Danny - my mom does. She likes to treat him like a little baby so she rocks him for naps and at night. But here at home, I never do.

I hope it all works out!
January 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by TwiceBlessed@Jan 4 2005, 12:03 PM
I know some may not agree. But, regarding Owen screaming in his crib, I would just let him scream. The only reason he does it is because he knows you will come and get him. So, if you keep going in there, he will keep right on screaming everynight. Go in there everyonve in awhile and talk to him softly and pat his back. But, do not take him out of his crib.

This is what I did with Gage, and it worked within a few days.

HTH. (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

A lot of people have said that to me. But, when should I put him in there? Just when it's time for bed and he's tired? I can't let him be 2 and still being rocked to sleep. He needs to learn to do it by himself. Should I just let him cry till he falls alseep? How long is too long to let him cry?
January 4th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Veteran
Do you think he's a little overstimulated? Perhaps make a half hour or an hour before bedtime the time to wind down. Continue to let him play, but get rid of the background noise and let him play things that allow him to sit and concentrate rather than run around and get wound up.
January 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM
CindyLou
We had to do that with Elias when he was 6 months. Letting him cry seems horrible but it will only get worse before it gets better! Elias NEVER cries in his crib when we put him down anymore. I have no regrets about CIO!!!
It's up to you how long you want to rock Owen to sleep but the older he gets the harder it will get.
January 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Veteran
CIO never worked for us. Putting them in a calm environment for a while before bed did the trick for us.
January 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Sweet Louison's Avatar Veteran
i never rocked or nursed my boys to sleep....if they happened to fall asleep on the breast i didn't purposely wake them up...but if they woke up before i got them in bed they still just went to bed....but my second was a sleep fighter...and i did use CIO with him...and my first when he didn't like to nap...you don't have to just shut the door and let them cry...it will work if you go in every 10 to 15 minutes..and firmly tell them to lay down..it is time to go to sleep...and just make sure you don't pick them up....

but another thing is do you think he could be over tired? Have you tried moving his bed time up a half and hour....does he nap...if not then maybe he needs more sleep during the day.

do you have a bedtime routine besides the rocking...maybe reading a book and singing some peaceful songs together. you could rock for a while and cuddle and then put him to bed before he is asleep. nothing too stimulating...we would read and then pray and sing with the boys and then dh started tickling them and that would make them all hyped up and they wouldn't go to sleep as fast....so whatever you do make sure it is peaceful and restful...
January 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have had the same routine since birth basically.

Lights go out, tv might be on low in the back ground (might fall asleep to it)
He gets his bottle
We rock
I either sing or read him a book
Lately, I read books because he enjoys that more now.

Tonight he was really good. I put him to bed later so he had his playing out of him and he was really tired.

But, he does take a nap during the day. Generally he takes 2. One early and then a 2 hour one later.

I have tried putting him down earlier during the day but he just fights that too. Maybe it's cuz he was sooo used to daycare. Well, now that I'm working, maybe he will go back to sleeipng better for me.

More suggestions are great though!
January 5th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Well I am so sorry that you are going thur this dear. But I have never had problems with Lucy at all for her naps or bed time. I will ask her if she is tired and if so lets go to her bed and she does. Plus this is JMO tooo....... I was told NEVER give a toddle a bottle or sppy cup in bed cuz they are more prone to ear aces too. This is what I do for Lucy....

5pm is dinner
6pm is bath
7pm is a snack and last sippy cup for the night
7:30pm brush teeth
8pm read a small book
8:30 bed time
I also have soft rock music on in the room and it is DARK!!!

And she will sleep in to 8:30am

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search