ECI

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
We had ECi come out this morning to evaluate Avery. For those that don't know ECI, is Early Childhood Intervention, its a state ran (every state has it) group that is typically free to those who qualify that basically is a at home therapist. Whether its physical, social, cognitive ect. They help children under 3 stay on track or catch them up to be on track kinda thing.

Anyways, Avery qualifies for it due to her vision. According to their assesment this is where she is developmentally

Adaptive- 4 months
Cognitive- 5 months
fine motor: 3 months
gross motor- 3 months
Language/ expressive and receptive- 5 months
personal/social- 5 months

so she is a bit behind in the areas I knew she was behind in so nothing shocking to me. She passed all her screenings except vision of course!

They are going to send out the therapist twice a month for 6 months, then she will be re evaluated from there. They are also contacting the school district to get her started in vision therapy (ways to help her kinda things) and we are going to be applying for social security benefits for her which would cover most of her medical and then give us a monthly allowance to purchase things like contact solution and possibly even the contacts (based on income how much we will get) but they will also help us and hopefully Avery's vision will keep improving and she will have normal vision when she is older!

ok thats my update for those intersted

and is anyone else involved in ECI for their child or were when they were younger?

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'm so glad you're getting ECI and they're going to help you with everything!! That is such a blessing to be able to get help so young.

We live and breath ECI, LOL. Because of Danny's diagnosis (congenital CMV), he was automatically qualified for First Steps, Missouri's ECI program. The day Danny came home from his 2 month NICU stay, they gave us the number and told us they'd already contacted First Steps on our behalf to have someone call us and arrange an initial consultation. His "base line" eval was basically a newborn level, evaluated at 3 months of age. He's been in physical therapy and speech/hearing since he was 4 months old, and occupational therapy since about 14 months old. It's been huge for us, and a large piece of why Danny is doing so well today.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thats great they are helping so much too! I am not sure what they can really help us with at this point, but to me its best to get her in it now and be proactive so that she doesn't fall behind any more

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
At this point, most of what they're doing is giving you ways of playing that will help YOU help her. Most of the therapy sessions so young with Danny was spent with Danny on the floor on a mat or with arches over him and toys dangling, and us sitting on the floor by him talking. She would talk to us about things to look for, where she saw Danny's progress at, ways we can help encourage him, etc.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carrie has been in ECI (or their versions of the same program) in 3 differant states. In each one she's worked with a speech Pathologist and Physical therpist (more often in states thathave teh room, less often in states that don't)

Speech was incredibly effective in KY, but isn't working at all here in OK. PT wasn't effective at all in KY and here, she's taking off.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thats great that so many of you have had success with ECI.

Is there anything that they did i nthe other states that was better for Carrie that you can't transfer over to where you are now?

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search