Children and lunch at school

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest son Nick has autism, Sensory Integration Dysfunction and ADHD he's 5 and in kindergarten. I am getting calls at least 4 times a week from his teacher and it's pretty much the same thing Nick is being disruptive, acting crazy, not listening, running around and it's all during or after lunch. Nick can't handle all the smells,noises and people at lunch without getting over stimulated then when they get back to class she expects him to NAP. I have tried to explain this to his teacher to no avail, they won't make special arrangements to have him eat in a quiet setting. Because is is high functioning they are treating him like a child with speech issues and minor developmental delays.
Who do I go to for help?

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

January 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Dibble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call a meeting and sit down with the teacher, principal and exceptional children representative (resource teacher, speech-pathologist) at your school. Then, come up with accomodations/modifications that can be put into place during lunch. For example, some autistic students need headphones or earbuds to cut down on the loud noises in the cafeteria. Moving his seat to where the table he's sitting at is along side a wall and he's facing a wall, thus reducing the over-visual stimulation. Also, assigning him a peer buddy who he sits beside and it will become routine for him to sit beside this certain person in his "assigned seat". The more routine and rule-bound it becomes, the more he should succeed. Let me know if you have any other questions.

~Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy~
January 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I am no help but I agree that you need to meet with them and demand he be given some accomadations during lunch

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search