Really strong prescription?

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I've had a few people tell me that Angelica's prescription is really strong. It's a +4.50 the woman said that she would have the thick lenses if they were plastic but didn't tell me how bad her eyes are.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

April 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well my dd wears a +21 and that is down from what it is. lol so to me a +4 is well really weak!!!! lol

now in seriousness it doesn't matter! For example my dd wears a +21 contact, (+24 in glasses) and she can only see arms length. they can't do acuity on babies.
DH wears a +14 in one eye and a +11.75 in the other and he has 20/40 vision corrected. I wear a +4 and I have 20/40 20/60. By uping my prescription it would not make me see better or more.
So a +4 on your dd might give her 20/20 vision but it might give her a 20/80 as well. Acuity is much more important of a number then the prescription strength

oh and as far as thickness I don't know, Mine are thing but glass. Avery wears contacts and if she did wear glasses they are SUPER thick but that is because they are aphakic lenses and they don't make them thin. your dd would not need that.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 12th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
First time posting on this board so Hi! Yesterday my DD was given a srcipt for one eye at +4.5 and the other +6.0 I too wasn't told much of anything. I do know that her left eye is pretty bad and because of it she now has a slight lazy eye in that eye. I do know that in young children they use polycarbonate lenses which are useally really think to prevent any major damage to the lense or the child wearing them. I'm concerned about how think the lenses will be for my DD, but I will find out nest week when they come in. Lets both hope it's not as bad as we may have conjured up in our own minds!!

May 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Well her lenses aren't very thick so I hope your DD aren't either!

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

May 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
Well I'm glad to hear that Just a mindless worry even tho we all know in the end it doesn't really matter.

May 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
+4.50 is on the thick side but isn't the worst it could be, as some of the ladies have said. Polycarbonate lenses are lighter, thinner lenses and also shatter resistant. They are mandatory for children. It is possible the lady told you that was very think not to worry you, but to try and upgrade you to an even lighter thinner lens. In that case it wouldn't be necessary at all, especially since children are required to have the shatter resistant lens which is already light and thin to begin with. However a lot of people in that field work on commission. BTW, I worked in optical for years so I know a bit about lenses and all that. That is just what I have seen unfortunately. I would always give people options, but also told them the truth about the product and what was necessary.

Shari mommy to
Alexander 4-14-07
Nicolette 6-24-08
Expecting baby #3 on 8-27-12!

July 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM
My son recently got glasses too and and he's at a 4.5 or something like that in each eye too. They didn't bother to tell me how strong the glasses were either... funny how they avoid that.

Anyway... the only reason I know what that means is because hubby and I are oddly about the same prescription strength. We can't read signs on the road w/o glasses, see if someone's smiling or frowning from across the room, I'd be lost w/o them!

I don't like that my son's in the same Rx we are at 5yrs old, but I can't do anything to change it either. I keep in mind that I was told at 3 months that he may not see at all... so every thing he sees is a blessing to me!
August 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I hope they aren't too thick for her. Seamus is a 5 something in one eye and a 4 something in the other (I forget if its + or -, he's farsighted so I think thats a + cause I think my nearsightedness is a -(which I'm even bad at a -5.25 or a -5.5 ) and his aren't too thick, I think they have a way now days to do stronger scripts without them being huge lenses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search